Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 9th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 1,246Posts
    • 2,131Thanks
    coffeehound
    Yorkshire stone-built houses soundproof?
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    Yorkshire stone-built houses soundproof? 9th Jul 17 at 8:44 AM
    If anyone has experience of living in traditional stone terrace or semi-detached homes, can you advise on the level of soundproofing from neighbours please?
    Last edited by coffeehound; 09-07-2017 at 8:47 AM.
Page 1
    • haf1
    • By haf1 9th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    haf1
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    It probably depends on when the house was built.

I used to live in a stone terrace from the 1890s or earlier, we could (albeit muffled) hear the neighbours talk and sometimes their TV.

Our current home, again a stone built mid-terrace, was built after 1906 and we hear voices only when they are very loud, or children crying loudly. The entire stairwell is made of wood, our neighbour used to hear our kittens running up and playing on the stairs when they were young. So probably, if someone had kids stomping up and down the stairs all day you would hear that too.

The outer walls are cavity walls filled with rubble, not sure if the party walls are the same. I don't think that stone construction makes much of a difference, as that's only the outside walls, while party walls will usually be made of brick just like every other terraced house.
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 9th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Tiners
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    I've lived in exactly the kind of house you describe and was very surprised at how much neighbour noise I could hear from what is supposedly very 'solidly built' houses... luckily my neighbours were generally very quiet so it wasn't an issue but you could still quite clearly hear everyday noise such as drawers closing, chairs scraping, hairdryers, voices at conversation level etc etc
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    • 9,760 Posts
    • 7,789 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:05 PM
    Were the party walls definitely of stone construction?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,638 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:36 PM
    Were the party walls definitely of stone construction?
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    That's exactly the first thing to come to my mind...

It's very, very unlikely they will be.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 9th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 2,131 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    Thanks for the info. So despite appearances they are going to be similar to ordinary brick in terms of party walls – good to know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

3,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin