Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 9th Jul 17, 8:19 AM
    • 112Posts
    • 23Thanks
    illusionek
    issue with drains
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:19 AM
    issue with drains 9th Jul 17 at 8:19 AM
    Hello

I need to fit gully grids as all of them but the way pipes have been fitted makes it impossible and I was wondering if there is anything I could do DIY or I need to get someone to do it for me.

On the first photo the grey pipe goes directly into the gully. I assume I need to cut it but how? This is a waste pipe for kitchen sink and washing machine and sometimes I get 'drain smell' in the kitchen. Can this be caused by the fact this pipes goes directly the gully? I only guess it was done to avoid splashing on the external wall and cause damp, so how do I prevent it as well?

On the second photo I can lift up the grey pipe but black one does not move at all. I also tried to undo the pipe elbow but again it does not move and this pipe is so close to gully that I cant fit the grid.

On this last photo I can easily fit the grid but it just does not seem right to me so I was wondering if there is anything else I need to do here.

Same goes for the other two photos, is there anything else I need to do there apart from fitting grids?

Many thanks for all your help!

Page 1
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 9th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 4,963 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    >'drain smell' in the kitchen. Can this be caused by the fact this pipes goes directly the gully?<

There should be a U-bend or water trap to stop sewer gases coming up the pipe and entering the house.
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 9th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    Where to look for it? I have just moved in recently so not sure what is/isnt in place
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 9th Jul 17, 11:54 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:54 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:54 AM
    I assume you dont mean regular trap that can be found under kitchen sink? If so it is in place and does not seem to be helping
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    It's all a bit of a mess. In the first photo, I can see what looks like standing water in the drain. Could the drain be blocked or partially blocked? You may have the appropriate trap in place but in the summer, the smell might be in your kitchen because you've got the window open and you can smell the blocked drain.

The third photo shows that the pipe doesn't even line up properly, so that needs sorting.

All of it is DIY-able, but you'll need some brute force and possibly some replacement pipework because I suspect you might break old pipes, joins and washers as you try and dismantle the current set-up. Pipes like those are inexpensive, so if you feel confident, take them right back to the last good joint and replace with pipes and fittings of the correct length and angle to meet your new grids.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 9th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    Just trim the ends with a hack saw and put grid over.
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 9th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    It's all a bit of a mess. In the first photo, I can see what looks like standing water in the drain. Could the drain be blocked or partially blocked? You may have the appropriate trap in place but in the summer, the smell might be in your kitchen because you've got the window open and you can smell the blocked drain.

The third photo shows that the pipe doesn't even line up properly, so that needs sorting.

All of it is DIY-able, but you'll need some brute force and possibly some replacement pipework because I suspect you might break old pipes, joins and washers as you try and dismantle the current set-up. Pipes like those are inexpensive, so if you feel confident, take them right back to the last good joint and replace with pipes and fittings of the correct length and angle to meet your new grids.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    You are right saying there is some standing water, actually there is some standing water in drains on first two photos. I assumed this is normal, probably because I could see standing water in two different drains. I have taken some further photos to show better amount of water. I was not aware water needs to completely drain away.

Does below mean drains are partially blocked? I just poured a bucket of water (10L) into each it drained away with no issue however as per below photos there is constantly some standing water in them.

• Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    That's odd. I don't think there should be standing water in them. I have a drain like that outside my kitchen and it empties directly along a short stretch into a manhole. Any blockage in yours would presumably stop your bucket of water draining away? Have you got a manhole nearby that the drain drains into? If so, lift the cover and have a look at what's going on. It shouldn't have any water in it either.
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 9th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    illusionek
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    I just checked and there is about 13cm/5inches of standing water in each drain.

There is a manhole nearby but cant access it. It has been paved over and additionally there is a big timber running over it, which I guess meant to be used for flowerbed.

Is there anything I could pour into drains in hope to unblock them or should I get a tradesman to have a proper look into this issue?
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 9th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Good grief, of course there is supposed to be standing water in them. Its perfectly normal. No idea why the duck seems to think there shouldnt be. Think they might be better off not giving advice on this one.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Good grief, of course there is supposed to be standing water in them. Its perfectly normal. No idea why the duck seems to think there shouldnt be. Think they might be better off not giving advice on this one.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    Why should there be water there? Shouldn't the drain go directly into the main drain or is there another u-bend to prevent smells backing up? In mine, they go directly in, no change in gradient, no u-bend.

As to the other point, it's never a good idea to pave over drain covers. If you can, I'd rearrange things so you can access it if you ever need to. It's just daft to have access points covered over.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 9th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    That outside drain has (or should have) a u-bend in it so there is always standing water in it to prevent smells coming back up the drain.

Tip a bucket of water in the drain. If it goes down slowly or not at all then its blocked or partially blocked. I've used a metal coathanger to break up blockages when they happen.

The chance of OPs smell coming from the outside drain, back up the pipe and round your sink ubend is pretty remote. If you can smell something in the kitchen its more likely to be something related to the sink U bend or something else inside the house.
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 9th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    illusionek
    I did the bucket thing with both drains with standing water and it was going fine. I can clearly see there is a u-bend in both of them however every now again I can smell drains in kitchen or outside. It is not a permanent or very very strong smell but still noticeable. Is there anything else I could do to stop it from happening apart from fitting gully grids, which I guess are mainly to prevent future blockage rather than smells.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    The chance of OPs smell coming from the outside drain, back up the pipe and round your sink ubend is pretty remote. If you can smell something in the kitchen its more likely to be something related to the sink U bend or something else inside the house.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    Possibly, but I wonder whether the smell is outside and only sometimes detectable in the kitchen. Might there be some manky detritus in the drain or simply dried rubbish around the pipework that is smelling in the hot weather and OP has their windows open? If the smell is appearing occasionally, this might explain it.
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 9th Jul 17, 6:03 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    Ruski
    Let's put this to bed please:

Outside gully traps should have 'standing water' - it's a water trap to prevent gasses coming back up from the sewer system.

All pipes entering gully should terminate BELOW the grid, but above the water line (regulations)

Smells in the kitchen will not be coming from the outside in this instance UNLESS there is an outlet (dishwasher maybe?) that ISN'T fitted with a water trap - and the pipe empties straight outside. Smells like this are invariably because they are connected before the internal water trap.

All your pipework looks a bit amateur, and it wouldn't take much for someone to re-pipe and fit drain grids. It's a solvent weld system you have, you're not going to take that apart so matter how much you twist and pull.

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • illusionek
    • By illusionek 9th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    illusionek
    I agree the pipework looks an amateur but then how should it look like? If you look at the very first photo the white pipe is for a dishwasher. So I guess this is part of the problem? However it was recently installed by the plumber who told me that it needs to be this way because dishwasher is too far from kitchen sink. So if I get someone to sort out this pipework how can I ensure they do it properly?

Also you mentioned all pipes should terminate below the grid but then how do I fit gully grids?
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 9th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    EssexExile
    Also you mentioned all pipes should terminate below the grid but then how do I fit gully grids?
    Originally posted by illusionek
    You cut holes for the pipes to go through.
    Has the pipe from the dishwasher got a u-bend in it? Having asked that, if I get a nasty smell around here it's usually Farmer Giles muck spreading.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 9th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    • 36,087 Posts
    • 151,764 Thanks
    silvercar
    I have a similar system of gullies with odd looking pipes. I can also see standing water. The pipes all end just above the grids.

Sometimes the main gully smells in hot weather, a bit of prodding around and it appears that there is some solid matter (congealed fat?) stuck to the side of the gulley below the grid level. Dealing with that gets rid of the problem.

I don't know how you would get the pipes ending below the grid - the grid would have so many cut outs I doubt it would hold together.
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 9th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    Ruski
    It will hold together, I've done this many times..
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-gulley-grid-150mm-black/16499
    or

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

270Posts Today

1,861Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin