Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jessicagmail
    • By jessicagmail 9th Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jessicagmail
    Offers on a rural Scottish property?!?
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    Offers on a rural Scottish property?!? 9th Jul 17 at 1:39 AM
    We would like to offer on this house, however, we are stumped as to what to offer.

Can't link sorry!!
    Rightmove Gateside, Beith offers over £250k

It's in Scotland, the Home Report has valued at £300k. It went on the market 3 months ago at offers over £285k but dropped to o/o £250k. The current owners paid £295k for it in 2007 and have done a lot of updating however I can't really find any comparable properties or sold prices. Closest is 2015:

What would you do?!?
Page 2
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 9th Jul 17, 10:43 PM
    • 14,896 Posts
    • 127,268 Thanks
    zagubov
    I read once that Scotland was one of the most urbanised countries in Europe with more than 90% of the population living in larger settlements (well lets be honest the Highland Clearances put paid to villages and cricket). As the old Scottish saying goes: "You can't eat scenery".

Plus the fact that the moment you step outside of a major city you're eaten alive by insects.

If an earthquake sank 60% of the country into the sea, it would be months before anyone heard about it or the media bothered to pick up on it.

Buying a place out in the sticks in the hope it'll resell easily is a bit of a gamble north of the Tweed. Look at any map of Switzerland and you'll see everybody lives in the the cities of the central valley. Similar situation.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Jul 17, 11:20 PM
    • 6,111 Posts
    • 5,857 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I read once that Scotland was one of the most urbanised countries in Europe with more than 90% of the population living in larger settlements (well lets be honest the Highland Clearances put paid to villages and cricket). As the old Scottish saying goes: "You can't eat scenery".

Plus the fact that the moment you step outside of a major city you're eaten alive by insects.

If an earthquake sank 60% of the country into the sea, it would be months before anyone heard about it or the media bothered to pick up on it.

Buying a place out in the sticks in the hope it'll resell easily is a bit of a gamble north of the Tweed. Look at any map of Switzerland and you'll see everybody lives in the the cities of the central valley. Similar situation.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    The OP's prospective purchase is within a half hour drive of Glasgow city centre. That's pretty urban compared with the bulk of the country. In London terms it's about as out in the sticks as Shepherds Bush.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    • 15,469 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The OP's prospective purchase is within a half hour drive of Glasgow city centre. That's pretty urban compared with the bulk of the country. In London terms it's about as out in the sticks as Shepherds Bush.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Half an hour by car to Central London from Shepherd's Bush? Not at 8am on a week day...
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 6,111 Posts
    • 5,857 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Half an hour by car to Central London from Shepherd's Bush? Not at 8am on a week day...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    To be fair, the same applies in Glasgow - I was looking at current travel times...
    • GaleSF63
    • By GaleSF63 9th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    GaleSF63
    "At the risk of being labelled a "Crashy", here's a sensationalist Daily Mail article..."
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    For every article the Daily Mail publishes about house prices dropping it has another about prices rising. Often at the same time.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 15,469 Posts
    • 13,788 Thanks
    AdrianC
    For every article the Daily Mail publishes about house prices dropping it has another about prices rising. Often at the same time.
    Originally posted by GaleSF63
    That's the Daily Mail for you.
    • googler
    • By googler 10th Jul 17, 11:48 AM
    • 14,424 Posts
    • 9,318 Thanks
    googler
    But nobody wants to move to the highlands or dunoon!!! Come try buy a house in a reasonable area in the central belt...
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Somebody does. At least one, since I know someone who's just sold in Dunoon.....
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Somebody does. At least one, since I know someone who's just sold in Dunoon.....
    Originally posted by googler
    But looking at rightmove there are a LOT of properties listed at reduced prices in Dunoon. It's not a desirable area for most, perhaps middle age couples who have just waved goodbye to their grown up kids and looking for some country air!
    • itsnotarace
    • By itsnotarace 11th Jul 17, 12:02 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    itsnotarace
    Slow Scottish market?!!!! Maybe in your immediate area, but not in many parts. My sister in law is trying to buy and is being thrashed by offers way above home report price. My area is seeing houses sold in 1-14 days almost all over home report value. It's bonkers.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    I have to agree with this - we were searching for quite a while but almost everything we were interested in went for way over home report in the Glasgow area. And don't get me started on crazy home report valuations - I'm just glad we are finally found somewhere and are out of all this hassle now.

To the original post though - my brother lives on the same road as where you are looking. I think he really enjoys the small village type life of the area. As you'll know it's a bit more difficult trying to get places from it if you're used to city living but that's to be expected.

I think one of the factors for him moving there was to be able to buy an older house but still reduce the mortgage a bit, so if it were me i probably wouldn't be interested in paying over the odds for the area - as scenic as it it. Whenever I've visited him, the road didn't seem to be a noise issue at all.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 11th Jul 17, 12:37 AM
    • 14,896 Posts
    • 127,268 Thanks
    zagubov
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Absolutely! But my last job involved a commute through Shepherd's Bush and the congestion is a different order of magnitude from what I imagine you might find in Beith. I was more trying to explain why rural houses further away (e.g.outside outside Inverness as mentioned by ProDave) might not attract a lot of local interest.

Ironically the people who would most like a view of rural scenery would probably also appreciate good TV reception/broadband, supermarket access, and access to local hospital care.
    There's good solid reasons why the number of people moving into cities keeps outstripping people moving away.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • mubeye
    • By mubeye 11th Jul 17, 2:50 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    mubeye
    If you are the only bidder.... then vendor is much more likely to consider the asking price.

I see property in Edinburgh, Glasgow sell very quickly for 10-20% plus HR value. Very hot markets.

More rural, holiday lets are hot, and anything suitable goes to closing within a few days.
    Last edited by mubeye; 13-11-2017 at 10:03 AM.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 13th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Have you seen this Jessica? Ok, Lochwinnoch is pretty rough, but this seems to be outside the town.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-49339323.html
    • jessicagmail
    • By jessicagmail 13th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jessicagmail
    Hi Dan, Lochwinnoch would be the dream for us, I frequently visit with my children and have never found it to be 'rough'. Unfortunately, our budget doesn't extend to the villages prices! Hence the house outside Beith. They turned down our offer though so it was not to be! ��

Thanks for thinking of us while browsing though! X
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 13th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 2,904 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Curious and interested to hear how you get on. You never know, there might be a slow sale on this one.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 15th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 5,230 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Elsewhere in Scotland many will be hoping for a fast sale.....

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeen/1288309/rent-caps-could-be-introduced-in-aberdeen/
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 5,230 Posts
    • 2,209 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    As far as I can tell, from lots of failed bids, is that if their is competition and the property goes to closing date, it will go 10% or more over. If the property is unsold after a month however, 'offers over' means less. It is meant to spur on competitive bidding. But if you are the only bidder.... then vendor is much more likely to consider the asking price.

I see property in Edinburgh, Glasgow sell very quickly for 10-20% plus HR value. Very hot markets.

More rural, holiday lets are hot, and anything suitable goes to closing within a few days.

But the more 'everyday' places outside the cities and posher towns, are much slower to sell, and often see reductions. Prices have been stagnent for years.

If there is no closing date set with multiple bidders, I wouldn't rush to bid over.
    Originally posted by mubeye

What postcode in Edinburgh is this?
    • mubeye
    • By mubeye 17th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    mubeye
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    You can see the ESPC report here:
    https://espc.com/media/858657/mth%20201706%20table.pdf

'Properties sold between April and June of 2017 that had been marketed as Offers Over achieved an average of 9.7% over the asking price, up from 7.8% last year.'

Leaders seem to morningside, Leith, Dalry. It states Stockbridge is down YOY, but I think there is lag, as anecdotally I have seen at least 5 properties over last month there go 10% over HR. (either my bids failing or friends buying and selling)
    • Kinski
    • By Kinski 17th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    Kinski
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    The postcode in Edinburgh that I live in is like that, all four houses near me that were up for sale in the last couple of months sold within a week, that includes the house next door to me, all have gone for way over the offers over price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,300Users online

Martin's Twitter