Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jessicagmail
    • By jessicagmail 9th Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jessicagmail
    Offers on a rural Scottish property?!?
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    Offers on a rural Scottish property?!? 9th Jul 17 at 1:39 AM
    We would like to offer on this house, however, we are stumped as to what to offer.

Can't link sorry!!
    Rightmove Gateside, Beith offers over £250k

It's in Scotland, the Home Report has valued at £300k. It went on the market 3 months ago at offers over £285k but dropped to o/o £250k. The current owners paid £295k for it in 2007 and have done a lot of updating however I can't really find any comparable properties or sold prices. Closest is 2015:

What would you do?!?
Page 1
    • -taff
    • By -taff 9th Jul 17, 3:14 AM
    • 7,228 Posts
    • 4,631 Thanks
    -taff
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:14 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:14 AM
    Offer what you are happy to pay.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 9th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    Be guided by your solicitor, they are involved in property all the time and will have an idea of prices.
    • jessicagmail
    • By jessicagmail 9th Jul 17, 7:44 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jessicagmail
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:44 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:44 AM
    But do we offer ideal amazing price, happy price or absolute top end?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 7:55 AM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:55 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:55 AM
    Offer the minimum the vendors will accept.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47864823.html
    Well, I wouldn't call it rural. In a village, a mile outside a 6,500 person town, 13 miles from Kilmarnock, 20 miles from Glasgow? That's DEFINITELY not rural by Scottish standards - easy commuter belt.

There's quite a few comparables in the £250-300k range, within a few miles of Beith.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59728324.html in particular makes this one look a bit overpriced.
    2007 sale price is irrelevant. Ignore it.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 2,512 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    It's not a rural highland location, but it IS a rural property.

The price has dropped due to the area/location. Beith is quite scummy. Spend some time there first to see if you like it.

Location is good for access to various places. Glasgow, erskine bridge, Ayrshire coast are all quite handy.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 9th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    This is typical of the slow Scottish market at the moment where the higher end of the market is not moving. Which is why after 2 years we took ours off the market and are now letting it as we can't afford to drop the price any more.

Personally I think if you want rural you can do a lot better than that. That road looks like it has the potential to be busy which would bother me as I like peace and quiet.

But if it's the right house for you, offer £251K, that's "over 250" then they start negotiating.

I still don't think Scottish house prices have got back up to 2007 (peak) levels yet. Demand remains low for a number of reasons and prices remain depressed. We have totally missed out on the current "boom" much of England has had, and we are still oh so slowly crawling out of the 2008 house price recession.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 9th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    I think the area could be the answer on not selling. Two houses near me were bought within a week with full price agreed, and an increase of £50k from one the same sold two years ago.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 5,447 Posts
    • 5,179 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:02 AM
    But if it's the right house for you, offer £251K, that's "over 250" then they start negotiating.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    I wouldn't feel obliged to start at over £250k. "Offers over" often means "open to offers under too".

Even if I wanted to buy in the area, two immediate negative points are the main road location, and the oil heating (I'm guessing there's no mains gas there?).
    • jessicagmail
    • By jessicagmail 9th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jessicagmail
    There's no mains gas and it is a busy road, though there are talks of a bypass. I feel that's a little irrelevant for us though as we are ok with both these things.

We were definitely not going to offer over £25k and in fact have decided our top offer is below that too.

Many thanks for your responses. X
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 9th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    ProDave
    3 months is a very short time to drop the price so much. Have they had any viewings at all?
    • jessicagmail
    • By jessicagmail 9th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jessicagmail
    Yes but very few.
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 9th Jul 17, 12:08 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Tiners
    Very disappointed when I clicked on the link, certainly not my idea of a dream, rural Scottish property that's going to cost 1/4 mil !

Also at the risk of being labelled a 'crashy'... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-4677680/RICS-data-expected-house-price-growth-slipping.html
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    AdrianC
    "At the risk of being labelled a "Crashy", here's a sensationalist Daily Mail article..."
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 2,512 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    This is typical of the slow Scottish market at the moment where the higher end of the market is not moving. Which is why after 2 years we took ours off the market and are now letting it as we can't afford to drop the price any more.

Personally I think if you want rural you can do a lot better than that. That road looks like it has the potential to be busy which would bother me as I like peace and quiet.

I still don't think Scottish house prices have got back up to 2007 (peak) levels yet. Demand remains low for a number of reasons and prices remain depressed. We have totally missed out on the current "boom" much of England has had, and we are still oh so slowly crawling out of the 2008 house price recession.
    Slow Scottish market?!!!! Maybe in your immediate area, but not in many parts. My sister in law is trying to buy and is being thrashed by offers way above home report price. My area is seeing houses sold in 1-14 days almost all over home report value. It's bonkers.
    • zebulon
    • By zebulon 9th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    zebulon
    Can't link sorry!!
    Rightmove Gateside, Beith offers over £250k
    Originally posted by jessicagmail

I've only went there 2 days and mostly remember the cheap G&Ts but ... do you know Beith ? (it is a cute house)
    To be fair I recently met people who deeply regret moving out of Beith.
    Last edited by zebulon; 09-07-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 9th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    ProDave
    Slow Scottish market?!!!! Maybe in your immediate area, but not in many parts. My sister in law is trying to buy and is being thrashed by offers way above home report price. My area is seeing houses sold in 1-14 days almost all over home report value. It's bonkers.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Ye, I am in the Highlands, a bit north of Inverness. 10 yeas ago, if you had put a large house on the market up here, it would have been snapped up by an English incommer who had sold up down south and were buying a far better house than they had down south for much less money. Those buyers are like hens teeth now. I can point you to a number of houses that have been on the market 3 years or more. I know one built by a friend who sold at the beginning of the year after over 3 years on the market. and it's not just here, I know a familly trying to sell a 4 bedroom cottage in Dunoon that when I last heard had been on the market 2 years. Until they sell that they can't buy up here where they want to move to so are renting.

It's now only larger houses that are stuck like this. smaller cheaper (e.g semi or terrace) in the towns are selling, but the bigger detached houses are still hard to sell.
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 9th Jul 17, 12:54 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Tiners
    "At the risk of being labelled a "Crashy", here's a sensationalist Daily Mail article..."
    Originally posted by AdrianC

It's no more sensationalist than the ''House Prices are Up and Away to the Moon and Beyond'' articles that we've had from the Mail, Express etc for the last decade or so.... I take it you've treated them with equal contempt and disdain?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    AdrianC
    It's no more sensationalist than the ''House Prices are Up and Away to the Moon and Beyond'' articles that we've had from the Mail, Express etc for the last decade or so.... I take it you've treated them with equal contempt and disdain?
    Originally posted by Tiners
    Oh, gawd, yes.

I'd double-check before believing the date on the cover of any of the tabloids.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    • 2,264 Posts
    • 2,512 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Ye, I am in the Highlands, a bit north of Inverness. 10 yeas ago, if you had put a large house on the market up here, it would have been snapped up by an English incommer who had sold up down south and were buying a far better house than they had down south for much less money. Those buyers are like hens teeth now. I can point you to a number of houses that have been on the market 3 years or more. I know one built by a friend who sold at the beginning of the year after over 3 years on the market. and it's not just here, I know a familly trying to sell a 4 bedroom cottage in Dunoon that when I last heard had been on the market 2 years. Until they sell that they can't buy up here where they want to move to so are renting.

It's now only larger houses that are stuck like this. smaller cheaper (e.g semi or terrace) in the towns are selling, but the bigger detached houses are still hard to sell.
    But nobody wants to move to the highlands or dunoon!!! Come try buy a house in a reasonable area in the central belt...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,708Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin