Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marks87
    • By marks87 9th Jul 17, 12:35 AM
    • 159Posts
    • 29Thanks
    marks87
    Pre-reg car service interval
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:35 AM
    Pre-reg car service interval 9th Jul 17 at 12:35 AM
    I've just found out something that's worrying me about my car's service history and I'm now looking for some advice.

I bought a pre-reg Renault from Arnold Clark last July. At the time, I was told the only difference between new and pre-reg is that, for me, the warranty will be shorter because I lose the months between its registration and me buying it. In my case, the car was registered in March, i.e. 4 months (or so) before I bought it. I was fine with this and felt the saving on new was worth taking the risk that something might go wrong in the final 4 months of my PCP contract.

In the second week or so of June, the car's display started flashing "Service due in 30 days". I expected this so kept it in the back of my mind. When it changed last week to 10 days, I booked a service under my service plan.

I've since found out, however, that a service "clock" starts from registration, not purchase.

This is concerning. If I'm 4 months late for the first service, that means I'm almost certainly in breach of the warranty conditions. But 1) I was never told this when buying; and 2) the car itself is only reporting it needs a service now - 1 year after purchase, not registration. So clearly the "clock" was reset to co-incide with my purchase/delivery date (I'm nowhere near the mileage limit for a service).

Can anyone advise on where I stand? Is it possible that Arnold Clark's pre-delivery checks allow them to reset the clock? Or have I been deceived?

I'll admit to a little naivety when buying the car; it was the first time I'd bought (nearly) new and definitely missed a few key questions. I was daft, but lesson learned, and mistakes won't be repeated in future. Nevertheless, I would still have expected the car itself to accurately report when its service is due. It shouldn't necessarily be relied upon, but that fact it is reporting in July when I purchased in July does seem a bit iffy.
Page 2
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 10th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    My brother has worked in the motor trade (sales, management, etc) at dealerships for over 10 years, Toyota, BMW, Audi. Most people knew this stuff was going on, but as long as targets were met on paper and the charts looked nice in the weekly meetings, everyone turned a blind eye.

The was an episode of Undercover Boss UK, where the boss of Hyundai went under cover at dealerships and found that techs didn't have time to do all their daily jobs, if you want to look it up on Youtube......
    Originally posted by Strider590
    So if it happened that once, it happens everywhere. Beware of mentioning brand names on the internet while accusing them of things. You and the owner of the site could be open to libel.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jul 17, 10:39 AM
    • 11,462 Posts
    • 6,411 Thanks
    Strider590
    So if it happened that once, it happens everywhere. Beware of mentioning brand names on the internet while accusing them of things. You and the owner of the site could be open to libel.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    Dealerships are simply franchises for the brand names, they are not those brands and aside from selling their cars, they do not represent the standards of those manufacturers.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 10th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    • 2,135 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    Car 54
    Dealerships are simply franchises for the brand names, they are not those brands and aside from selling their cars, they do not represent the standards of those manufacturers.
    Not necessarily. Many dealerships these days are owned by the manufacturer. Some operate under their own name (e.g. Mercedes Retail) and some not (Trust Ford, Robins & Day).
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 10th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 9,858 Posts
    • 6,865 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Authorised main dealers are there precisely to "represent the standards of those manufacturers". Whether they do so or fall short is another discussion.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 10th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 5,502 Posts
    • 4,997 Thanks
    Herzlos
    But that still ignores the fact the car itself was programmed into thinking the first service wasn't due until this month.
    Originally posted by marks87
    Does the car work on date or mileage/condition? I'd assume the latter.

If you get it serviced now (check the handbook for when it's actually meant to be done), then you'll most likely be alright. It's happened now so there's no point in worry about it.
    • marks87
    • By marks87 10th Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    marks87
    Does the car work on date or mileage/condition? I'd assume the latter.
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    It's possible, however it's suspicious that it's reporting a service required exactly a year after I bought it.

Anyway, I'll see what happens on Wednesday. Obviously it's too late to do anything about it, but I don't think it's unreasonable to kick up a stink if Arnold Clark did reset the clock and as a consequence I've missed a service and voided the warranty.

Or, worse, can't demonstrate a full service history when it comes to the end of my PCP deal.
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 10th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    What car and engine is it?
    What is the recommended service interval?
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 10th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    • 1,025 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Service intervals are usually date or mileage, whichever comes first. Top end cars calculate how hard the car has been working ( e.g. lots of idle wears the engine, but doesn't clock up miles ) ; although that ought to trigger different events at different times, rather than a standard "service".
    • marks87
    • By marks87 11th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    marks87
    What car and engine is it?
    What is the recommended service interval?
    Originally posted by jbainbridge
    Renault Captur 1.5dci.

I was led to believe it's 1yr/18,000 miles.

Regardless, the car displaying the message is enough for me to take it in. Even if I have got it wrong and it's >1yr.
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 11th Jul 17, 5:37 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    khcomp
    Your Renault has a service indicator rather than fixed service indicators: Distance between services varies dependant on time, mileage & driving style. As long as you've taken it in for a service as & when the car has told you to, you're covered.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    • 3,456 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    sheramber
    Every car we have had has been due to be serviced at a set mileage range or after 12 months, whichever comes first.

When the service advice shows is when the mileage reaches the programmed figure. It may be a year or it may be 9 months, depending on use. If the mileage figure is not reached by 12 months since the last service- then a service is due.
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 11th Jul 17, 6:45 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    khcomp
    The Captur dCi has 18,000 mile or 2 year oil change intervals. The service interval display will prompt an oil change after 2 years or 18,000 miles at the most, but may well prompt for this to be done sooner, dependant on driving conditions. The annual, or interim, service is not so critical as it doesn't involve anything other than checks, some lubrication and replacement of the cabin filter. The OP may therefore not have an oil & filter change due until well into next year.
    • marks87
    • By marks87 12th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    marks87
    I handed the car in this morning and queried the service interval.

The person at the desk seemed a bit confused about the difference between new and pre-reg, but did say that the timing for services starts ticking from the first mile on the clock (there was 25 on the clock when I collected it). But I was then shown their full record of the vehicle and it reported it as "new" in July 2016.

She then said "but you're the first owner?". No...Arnold Clark were the first owner. Which confused her more. But I was "assured" that the timing was fine and that nothing was untoward.

Then I got the printout to sign to confirm the work to be done. At the bottom, it said "Next service: 31/3/17". I queried this and the response was that it was wrong, and that the records would be updated. To sort of soften my probing, I then said that any warranty repairs would probably be done by them anyway, and it would be them taking the car at the end of the PCP, so it's not much of an issue. Which she agreed with.

So I'm really none the wiser. But it is slightly concerning that their records simultaneously indicate the car was bought "new" in July 2016, but was due its first service in March 2017. Plus the car itself believing its service was due this month, not 4 months ago.

I'm in two minds now about whether to probe further, or just leave it and accept that I should only ever need to deal with Arnold Clark for any repairs and subsequent sell-on, and they seem to think things are above board.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 14,791 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They registered it in March, but didn't PDI it fully until July, when it was actually sold.
    • marks87
    • By marks87 12th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    marks87
    They registered it in March, but didn't PDI it fully until July, when it was actually sold.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Ah, so if I've now understood correctly:

March '16 - car is registered, but has only ever moved on the back of a lorry/boat/other transport; AC's records put down the first service as March '17.

July '16 - car is bought, goes through PDI which puts 25 miles on the clock and starts the service timer; paperwork not updated to July '17.

July '17 - latest date for first service

That makes a bit more sense, and I guess the conflicting information is because difference franchises/dealers do things differently.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 14,791 Posts
    • 13,143 Thanks
    AdrianC
    That would be the most logical way to look at it.

March is the end of one registration year. Just a few more cars to reach the bonuses for numbers registered... But the PDI is busy getting 16-plate cars ready for April 1st collection, so do the PDI when you need it.
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 12th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    khcomp
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Quite correct: Dealers work on a 'group discount' - the more cars they register, the better discount they get when they pay the manufacturer or importer for them. They would have registered your car in March, so it's logged as a sale & therefore counts towards any 'bulk discount' given to the dealer, but if there's no customer for it, they just park it up in a compound.
    When you buy the car, it's brought out, valeted and fuelled, and is usually taken out of 'transport mode' via the diagnostic port: This also resets the service counter as the oil is also sometimes changed at this point - some manufacturers don't ship the vehicles with 'road' oil, the washers are filled, the air con charged and the coolant checked for level and concentration.

I deliver new cars, the service counter is always at the maximum time on the day of collection after PDI.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

247Posts Today

3,868Users online

Martin's Twitter