Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Henna1406
    • By Henna1406 9th Jul 17, 12:33 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Henna1406
    £2400 - University multiple fine court claim
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:33 AM
    £2400 - University multiple fine court claim 9th Jul 17 at 12:33 AM
    To start off, Iíd just like to say that Iíve done a tonne of reading on the forums and online before making this post. Iíve read the NEWBIES thread and have tried to piece together as much of a defence as I can, with the knowledge Iíve gained. Iíve also read several comments where users donít bode well with repeat offenders (as is the case with this post). Iíve also read the thread on irrelevant information and taken that into consideration.

Iíve received multiple parking tickets from UKPC for my car being parked at my University. The situation is such that the Uni allows a 15-minute period in which they permit students and visitors to use their parking bays temporarily. This is for moving items in and out or quick visits by friends/family. It's fair to say that the tickets must have been issued in this timeframe. I have also received more than one ticket for my vehicle when it's been in the same bay, over consecutive days. All offences occurred in a disabled bay. The vehicle has have a total of 15 individual windscreen fines and UKPC are demanding £2400 (plus legal fees).

The other issue has been that any letters that were sent to me were sent to my family home address, whilst I had been at Uni; thus, were not opened since they were in my name. I did open a letter before claim but didnít reply to it, which obviously now I know has put me in a difficult situation. Now I have received a county court letter stating I must take action.

The points which Iíve gathered which should be relevant to defend are:

Firstly, the tickets were handed whilst the security at the gates of Uni allowed 15 minutes to go about the drivers business. I know from seeing others being given tickets that the inspector doesn't wait and take multiple pictures. Would it be helpful for me to contact the Student Union and possibly get it in writing that they allow for this 15-minute time slot, as itís not connected to the UKPC signage? I do believe I can get help from the student union (landowner), but just need some guidance on what to ask them for.

Secondly, I have not disclosed any information on who was driving when the tickets were issued. I'm simply replying to NTKs here. Would referring to ďno requirement in law to respond to NTKsĒ, as mentioned in the newbies thread, hold weight? (Elliot v Loake etc).

Thirdly, other tickets were issued when the vehicle was not moved from the bay. Iím sure Iíve read that these latter tickets should not have been issued, somewhere.

Lastly, referring to Bargepoleís argument in which he refers to a lack of clear contract between the landowner and the claimant and thus the claimant and the defendant. I donít think Iíd have an argument in terms of signage being an issue, but Iím sure it doesnít state a connection between the university and UKPC on the signage. Iíve read that I should also demand pictures of all incidents with evidence of the sign in question and the vehicle in the same image.

As for the court claim letter, am I right in saying that I should reply to this letter towards the end of the 14-day period, leaving any areas for comment blank to extend the waiting period to 28 days?

Again, I understand how much Iíve put myself in this mess by not replying to the letter before claim, but would greatly appreciate any help to fight this in court as Iím bricking it right now. Iím more than happy to write a full draft and post it here, but I havenít done so just yet as Iím still confused on what is and isnít relevant in my case. Cheers!
    Last edited by Henna1406; 09-07-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    No need to wait to send your AOS to court. Do it now.

You say you never admitted who was driving. You need to edit your post to remove details of who was driving - the ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

Are you disabled?
    Last edited by Quentin; 09-07-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    Have you got the Students' Union on side here?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Henna1406
    • By Henna1406 9th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Henna1406
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    No need to wait to send your AOS to court. Do it now

Are you disabled?
    Originally posted by Quentin
    Thanks for the swift reply

I'm not myself but visitors, who have been present when tickets have been issued, are.
    • Henna1406
    • By Henna1406 9th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Henna1406
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    Have you got the Students' Union on side here?
    Originally posted by The Deep
    I haven't been in contact with them yet but they'd either reply saying that they're not involved or would take it seriously due to the size of the requested amount by ukpc.
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    Yes indeed, one of those two, so why not find out which?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    I haven't been in contact with them yet but they'd either reply saying that they're not involved or would take it seriously due to the size of the requested amount by ukpc.
    Originally posted by Henna1406
    They may take the view that multiple blocking disabled bays over consecutive days is deplorable and leave you to your fate.

That apart you say your defence is now "pieced" together.

Put it up (anonymously) here for comments
    • Redx
    • By Redx 9th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 16,487 Posts
    • 20,647 Thanks
    Redx
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    the AOS can be done anytime within the 14 day period, it then extends it to 28 days from 14 days , so it doubles the time to get a defence drafted and emailed in (as a pdf attachment)

so do it ASAP

you also need to get the landholder and the students union on your "side"
    preferably get it in writing that the permission exists and they dont want students being taken to the small claims court ; so get some sort of witness statements , signed and dated

you are no expert on signage , and few if any signs actually conform to the BPA CoP , so assume the UKPC signage fails to conform to the CoP and say so in your defence (ie:- you need to put the claimant to stict proof about signage , landholder contracts etc , so anything and everything - you cannot add it later , so you MUST put it in now)

they have details about the vehicle being in place , not the driver , so edit post #1 and learn to use the words THE DRIVER and THE KEEPER , no "ME , MYSELF and I" at all

they probably fail on POFA2012 so that is another reason to put in , providing you remain as KEEPER and nobody says who was driving !!

bear in mind that UKPC can and do issue tickets like confetti , they are invoices and they could issue one for having a red coat on view when only green coats are allowed !!

its not about if thay can issue tickets, its about if they can actually enforce the terms of the invoice they issued in a court of law , so the peoof of the pudding is after the cooking and in the eating , not in the book description !

as far as the NTK,s going to the address of the RK , that is how it works , and there is limited time to act when those letters arrive. there is no provision to leave them for months on end whilst somebody is serving in afghanista (or in your case being at UNI) - you are expected to have arrangements in place with permissions for people to open them and let you know the contents of any letters that are received

supposing one had been for a speeding infraction on a motorway , they dont give you six months grace because you are at UNI , please get real here , there is no provision for this scenario , yes you could mention this to a judge , but I cannot see it carrying any weight at all - you have better legal arguments to put forward and should be doing so

concentrate on what may win the case for you , not what wont

perhaps the BMPA could help due to the number of tickets and size of the alleged debt ?

as for the BB issue , although there could be a case there, its the BB holder that has that claim so you would have to bring them into any counter claim that you make (and pay for) - so they would have to write witness statements and be prepared to go to court too

also bear in mind the BB has no relevance here, its the EA2010 that that person is covered by and thay could use the EA2010 if their own rights were violated (with the driver being the accessory here)

bear in mind this is CIVIL court , not a criminal court
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 9th Jul 17, 11:16 AM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 6,421 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:16 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:16 AM
    Something else to consider

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11858473/Parking-firm-UKPC-admits-faking-tickets-to-fine-drivers.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,332Posts Today

6,379Users online

Martin's Twitter