Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 8th Jul 17, 11:43 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 65Thanks
    PhilE
    About to rent my property, barking dog issue.
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:43 PM
    About to rent my property, barking dog issue. 8th Jul 17 at 11:43 PM
    So I've had a barking dog issue, the neighboring dogs bark incessantly from 8am to 11pm. Last night I went over and knocked on the door, the owner took offense to me pointing out it was 11pm and I couldn't sleep.

I'm in a position where I could move quickly if I wanted to, and weighing up whether if I should fight this or simply move. If |I fight, I get the impression that its going to be a long one. But
    if I sell I have to declare the noisy dogs anyway, so then perhaps I might as well fight it.

Having to declare a problem with neighbors that's resolved would probably not affect the price so much, whereas noisy dogs/an existing potential problem can potentially slash the cost of your property.

I was going to rent for a year, but would want my tenants to be comfortable. A barking dog isn't my idea of comfort. So, if I rent I'd also have to take action against the dog owners now. And then I have to wait for it to be rectified before renting, and I don't know how long that would take.

So a selfish dog owner has potentially affected my chances of renting in the near future, which could cost me hundreds of pounds. As well as the stress of not being able to enjoy my home as I would like.

I was going to put a formal letter through the door tonight, but am pausing to think first. I wouldn't want tenants or future buyers to go through what I'm going through, so I should take action. However, once it gets formal, your property loses value.

The fact that one careless dog owner can cause you such misery and potential financial loss is a terrible
    thing.

Any thoughts and advice appreciated.
Page 3
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jul 17, 8:01 AM
    • 12,857 Posts
    • 35,289 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    So which is actually true?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I'm sorry you have a problem with reading "being more exact".
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I'm sorry you have a problem with reading "being more exact".
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    But you weren't 'being more exact', you were changing the story to sound more dramatic!
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 405 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    And barking dogs can ruin peoples lives. They affect work, sleep, they affect children's performances at school.
    If you'd ruin another persons life because you want the luxury of a barking dog, if you'd knowingly disturb a kids sleep, your unfit for society as far as I'm concerned.
    Originally posted by PhilE
    That must be me then. I live next door to a holiday cottage which is adjacent to the owners residential property but the holiday cottage uses an access driveway next to my house so that the owners don't get disturbed (nice for them). Because my dogs see strangers going up and down the driveway week in, week out at all times of the day (even when kids are asleep) - they will bark and what's more, I want them to bark at people they don't know.

I had the police round following a complaint from holiday makers at the weekend and when I explained that the dogs were barking because strangers were walking up and down the boundary line, they agreed with me and left.

As for the old burglar alarm theory, what if the burglar alarm went of 3 times per hour for no reason?
    Originally posted by PhilE
    That is not the same as a dog barking when someone they don't recognise is near my property.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 12th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 3,424 Posts
    • 11,265 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    My boyfriend lives in a mid-terrace, with owners of large noisy dogs either side. They don't bark incessantly, but quite a lot and quite loudly first thing in the morning, most mornings. I can only assume dog owners get used to the noise, like they do to the smell in their homes. These are small houses and neither dog seems to get enough exercise- I feel sorry for them. There are a lot of really bad pet owners in Britain.

OP- I would market your house as "tenants with pets welcome". This is rare in rental properties, so you may get a lot of interest, and can choose ones with a dog, who presumably are used to barking noise. Just charge an extra deposit for scratching damage and flea-removal.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 12th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I feel like choosing a tenant with a barking dog is likely to backfire on the OP - if they don't train/entertain dogs sufficiently to not bark, what else do they not train them about? Plus they'll bark at each other - feel for the neighbours caught in the middle... If you do do this OP, remove anything that you don't want chewing.

I don't recall my Grandma's dog barking much at all in the house. Just one small woof (one!) to let us know that the postman was there. He didn't like kites, but they weren't inside!
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 12,857 Posts
    • 35,289 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    But you weren't 'being more exact', you were changing the story to sound more dramatic!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel

Oh right - you know my mind and the meaning of my words better than I do myself obviously

#I'mWithNoel
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 12,857 Posts
    • 35,289 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    My boyfriend lives in a mid-terrace, with owners of large noisy dogs either side. They don't bark incessantly, but quite a lot and quite loudly first thing in the morning, most mornings. I can only assume dog owners get used to the noise, like they do to the smell in their homes. These are small houses and neither dog seems to get enough exercise- I feel sorry for them. There are a lot of really bad pet owners in Britain.

OP- I would market your house as "tenants with pets welcome". This is rare in rental properties, so you may get a lot of interest, and can choose ones with a dog, who presumably are used to barking noise. Just charge an extra deposit for scratching damage and flea-removal.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    ...and new carpets afterwards.

I've had carpet passed on to me before from a house that I know is kept clean (ie my parents house) and I shampooed and shampooed it and could still catch a "doggy whiff" at intervals.

#I'mWithNoel
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser

Oh right - you know my mind and the meaning of my words better than I do myself obviously

Here you go being ridiculous again.

Being more exact is adding detail. What you did is contradict yourself. The two are mutually exclusive.

I could add a lot of laughing faces, but I don't think that really adds much to the strength of an argument.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Jul 17, 11:44 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 3,590 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel

I know the meaning of your words because I can read and understand English!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 12,857 Posts
    • 35,289 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

I've had carpet passed on to me before from a house that I know is kept clean (ie my parents house) and I shampooed and shampooed it and could still catch a "doggy whiff" at intervals.
    Back on topic....

#I'mWithNoel
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I feel like choosing a tenant with a barking dog is likely to backfire on the OP - if they don't train/entertain dogs sufficiently to not bark, what else do they not train them about?
    Originally posted by Rosemary7391
    I don't imagine anyone was suggesting they choose a tenant with a "barking" dog, as in they vet them and insist that their dog barks uncontrollably. That would be extremely strange. The suggestion was that a tenant with a dog of any description would be more likely to be understanding of a dog that barks occasionally.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE

Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    I wont be renting to dog owners, as if they bring in a noisy dog it will upset the neighbors and be difficult to sort out. I like to respect my neighbors, makes for a better life.

Im putting down new carpets and refurbishing a wooden floor. Again, no guarantee that a dog owner will be responsible.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 12th Jul 17, 1:42 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    aneary

My granny had a German Shepherd and he barked at thunder, cats and our little dog (she tried to control him) so not very often. The carpet in the house was super thick expensive carpet my gran did hoover every day but I never remember there being a dog smell. We had a little dog who had a few accidents when she was small this did stain the carpet however the house did not have a dog smell maybe some owners are just cleaner than others....
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 12th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 3,075 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    I don't imagine anyone was suggesting they choose a tenant with a "barking" dog, as in they vet them and insist that their dog barks uncontrollably. That would be extremely strange. The suggestion was that a tenant with a dog of any description would be more likely to be understanding of a dog that barks occasionally.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    If it really was occasionally then most other tenants would be fine with it too. I think it was the "because they'll be used to barking" rationale that got me - most well trained dogs won't bark enough for the owner to get used to the barking!
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Jul 17, 2:07 PM
    • 22,636 Posts
    • 87,524 Thanks
    Davesnave
    the house did not have a dog smell maybe some owners are just cleaner than others....
    Originally posted by aneary
    It depends on the breed of dog at least as much as the owner's cleanliness, or lack of it.

I'd defy owners of some labradors, for example, to keep the niff at bay.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    PhilE
    If it really was occasionally then most other tenants would be fine with it too. I think it was the "because they'll be used to barking" rationale that got me - most well trained dogs won't bark enough for the owner to get used to the barking!
    Originally posted by Rosemary7391
    3 dog owners on my street, 1 pair of dogs each. Only one dog owner out of the three has incessantly barking dogs.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 12th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    My granny had a German Shepherd and he barked at thunder, cats
    Originally posted by aneary
    Your granny shouldn't have been watching CBBC in the first place.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,395Posts Today

9,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin