Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Richard_T_
    • By Richard_T_ 8th Jul 17, 10:44 PM
    • 249Posts
    • 93Thanks
    Richard_T_
    Plusnet retentions - any luck? been offered ADSL 28.98or Fiibre for 33.98/month
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:44 PM
    Plusnet retentions - any luck? been offered ADSL 28.98or Fiibre for 33.98/month 8th Jul 17 at 10:44 PM
    Looks like plusnet no longer have any deals or offers for existing customers
    I've been offered Fibre for 18 months - no deals available for existing customers, 33.98/month take it or leave it.
    with the 12 month deal on the main webpage at 24.99 for 12 months only being available for new customers, current customers are not allowed any deals.

I've also been offered ADSL for 28.98 although there was some confusion and this could be 18.98, plus call package this would be 25/month, or as high as 35.98 a month with an anytime call package

I mentioned better deals about, and was told "i suppose there are" and something along the lines of you have to go with who ever offers better prices.

Shame really, been happy with plusnet since 2004 (13 years!) and i have usualy been able to get a deal at the end of each contract period
Page 1
    • mjfp509
    • By mjfp509 9th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    mjfp509
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:41 PM
    Move provider, in this instance, seems the only option to reduce cost?
    • phillw
    • By phillw 9th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 937 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    phillw
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:40 PM
    I mentioned better deals about, and was told "i suppose there are" and something along the lines of you have to go with who ever offers better prices.
    Originally posted by Richard_T_
    They either think:

1. You won't leave & are just trying it on.
    2. You will leave if you get a better deal, but they aren't prepared to let you get that deal without going through the hassle of switching.

You can try leaving and see what they do, but I've not had anyone willing to beat the deals I've switched to for years now.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 9th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    I recently (less than 2 months ago) took a 24 month extension on my fibre extra contract with the price falling from the previous 12.50 + LR to 12.01 + LR which I think matched the new customer price at the time. I pay advance line rental and have no call package,

====

I didn't use any special negotiating technique - I just called (I think I took a thinking of leaving option but not 100% sure on that) and said my current discount deal was ending in a month and wanted to know what they were offering before I checked my options. They made the offer above and I agreed to it. I like PN as I've always got top whack speeds plus have a fixed IP which makes running my home server easy without using any DDNS service..
    Last edited by kwikbreaks; 09-07-2017 at 9:22 PM.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 4,561 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:28 AM
    There is some anecdotal evidence on PN's own forum, that Retentions are getting harder to deal with if you have ADSL packages -they seem to be trying to persuade customers to upgrade to fibre by offering poor deals on continuing packages.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 10th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 8,841 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    Something else occurs to me. Despite their usage tool not working properly for months I expect that the reps can see usage figures. I spend most of the summer months away from home so if they could see my usage then for the previous quarter it would have been exceedingly low plus I've never called support except once a couple of years or more back when there was a line fault. That makes me a very cheap customer for them.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    All providers (broadband and mobile) are getting harder to get deals for existing customers.
    you could at 1 time say of ** can do this for and they would match or better it, but now it is sorry our prices are set.
    • astra46
    • By astra46 10th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    astra46
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    I was offered 34 a month with Plusnet too. Disappointing deal considering ive been a customer since 2011.
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 10th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    anactuary
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    I am hoping for one of the MSE Sky deals as my deal runs out next month. In the past they've been 5pm for ADSL and 15pm for fibre, both including line rental. I think they were previously March 2017, Sep 2016 and June 2016.
    • vic_sf49
    • By vic_sf49 10th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    vic_sf49
    Just renewed with Plusnet at the end of June.

Up to 17mb unlimited (not fibre obvs).
    24 month contract.
    Line rental paid up front = 185.?? (for one year).
    Broadband component = 1.99/mth.
    Last edited by vic_sf49; 10-07-2017 at 7:13 PM. Reason: Spelling.
    • dingdong3000
    • By dingdong3000 11th Jul 17, 2:05 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    dingdong3000
    My contract expires 10 OCT 2017. Current one is 17mb unlimited adsl 18 M contract at 2.99 per month. Is now the best time to renew?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Aug 17, 4:21 PM
    • 8,514 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Last October I moved to PlusNet , from Sky, as the deal was better,but I found the speed almost 2mbps slower (average 4.3 compared to 6.2 with Sky), which is a lot when speeds are so low anyway.

I intended to go back to Sky, this year, but their speed estimate is only up to 5mbps (possibly was this before but went the 'extra mile' ),so I'm considering staying with PN,depending on deal.

There have been few PN deals posted, compared to other providers,so I'm wondering about the current situation. My deal,soon to end, is free ADSL,line about 15.49 after paying in advance,99p caller display and 8 anytimes calls.

I can't access fibre and probably won't be able to within a year,so it has to be ADSL.
    • Scrounger
    • By Scrounger 26th Aug 17, 7:19 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    Scrounger
    I was with Plusnet Fibre 38Mb @ 23/month but left when they put their prices up a couple of months ago.

I'm now back with Sky ADSL (~8Mb) @ 9.50/month all-in

No regrets here

Scrounger
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Aug 17, 9:00 PM
    • 8,514 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I was with Plusnet Fibre 38Mb @ 23/month but left when they put their prices up a couple of months ago.

I'm now back with Sky ADSL (~8Mb) @ 9.50/month all-in

No regrets here

Scrounger
    Originally posted by Scrounger
    Was that the MSE offer?

It's what I should have been paying last year. Free broadband and cheaper line, but someone made a mistake, booking just broadband, so I called immediately and a 'manager' offered me half price line which was 8.20 then 8.70.

I'm assuming you aren't including anytime calls.
    • Scrounger
    • By Scrounger 27th Aug 17, 8:14 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    Scrounger
    Was that the MSE offer?
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    Yes

I'm assuming you aren't including anytime calls.
    No inclusive calls (I could have added anytime calls for an additional 4/month ).

Thinking back, I remember you were dissatisfied with Plusnet and was surprised you didn't leave them and go with one of the MSE BT* deals?

[* - existing Sky TV customers were disqualified from that MSE Sky BB offer.]

Scrounger
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 27th Aug 17, 12:43 PM
    • 8,514 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Yes

No inclusive calls (I could have added anytime calls for an additional 4/month ).

Thinking back, I remember you were dissatisfied with Plusnet and was surprised you didn't leave them and go with one of the MSE BT* deals?

[* - existing Sky TV customers were disqualified from that MSE Sky BB offer.]

Scrounger
    I was dissatisfied but once the drop outs were sorted could get by (had no drop outs since), as leaving would have cost a lot, at the time.

Now, as I've mention Sky predict the same range as PlusNet, so if the best deal is with them I may as well stay,there being no guarantee that Sky will provide over the stated limit,which was a lovely surprise at the time. That's why I ask about current deals, as there are lots of posts about Sky offers, but nothing recent about PlusNet. (May get a better tv deal, after cancelling, if I have no other service with Sky)
    • Scrounger
    • By Scrounger 27th Aug 17, 1:46 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    Scrounger
    I was dissatisfied but once the drop outs were sorted could get by (had no drop outs since), as leaving would have cost a lot...
    I don' t understand why you say "leaving would have cost a lot" when Plusnet would let you leave without penalty due to the price increases?

Plus there was a nice MSE/BT BB offer on at the time.

When I left Plusnet I had 5 months of LRS refunded and no '30 cease fee' was charged. And I wasn't even (immediately) affected by the price rises (due to LRS).

My 75 Topcashback had paid out so no particular reason to stay any longer.

Scrounger
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 27th Aug 17, 2:36 PM
    • 8,514 Posts
    • 5,043 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I don' t understand why you say "leaving would have cost a lot" when Plusnet would let you leave without penalty due to the price increases?

Plus there was a nice MSE/BT BB offer on at the time.

When I left Plusnet I had 5 months of LRS refunded and no '30 cease fee' was charged. And I wasn't even (immediately) affected by the price rises (due to LRS).

My 75 Topcashback had paid out so no particular reason to stay any longer.

Scrounger
    At the time of the increase my drop out problem was sorted and the Sky offer was not good, whereas the pre rise and unaffected PlusNet one was. I don't trust BT, having been with them before.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 27th Aug 17, 2:58 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    I understand it is becomng more difficult to "negotiate" a good deal from them recently.
    Until May last year I was on 0/month ADSL and reduced line rental because of LRS.
    When fibre became available in my village I managed a 18 month deal at 11/month (40/2) plus line rental which works out, at present, to just over 26/month including evening and weekend calls (legacy) and 99p/month caller display.
    It will be interesting to see what they offer when the time comes.
    If they cannot beat my existing pricing then I'll be off. I don't like the 2mb/s upload but refuse to pay for the higher speeds connection when the 80mb/s is not required.
    I'm fortunately close to the cabinet so do receive near the maximum estimates.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

153Posts Today

1,696Users online

Martin's Twitter