Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jamestay1
    • By jamestay1 8th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 4Thanks
    jamestay1
    Getting home insurance for the first time
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    Getting home insurance for the first time 8th Jul 17 at 10:30 PM
    My parents signed over there house to me a few weeks ago for health reasons , I've never left home so have never had home insurance just car insurance.
    Their Home Insurance is up for renewal and there current provider YBS have told them since I'm the new owner I have to my name on the policy, so I phoned YBS yesterday and was quoted £55 a month.
    My parents never shopped around on the internet but I have and got a quote from Admiral for £29 per month for the same cover.
    Are Admiral ok or should I go elsewhere?

Thanks
Page 1
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 8th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 35,583 Posts
    • 45,811 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:08 PM
    Are you talking buildings and contents insurance here.

You should let the old ons. Know that you /they)are not renewing. Most of these are auto renwal.

Try a comparison site like compare the market for prices.

Also did they take advice before signing the house over to you. It can cause major problems for them if they need care or state benefits. Google
    Deprivation of assets
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • jamestay1
    • By jamestay1 9th Jul 17, 12:19 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jamestay1
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:19 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:19 AM
    The current policy runs out in a few weeks time so enough time to cancel it.
    Our solicitor told us about the bad things about changing the deeds to me but it's mainly for family reasons not just for health.
    • jamestay1
    • By jamestay1 9th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    jamestay1
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    Yeh both building and contents
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 33,044 Posts
    • 17,007 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    The current policy runs out in a few weeks time so enough time to cancel it.
    Originally posted by jamestay1
    When you contact them only use the word "cancel" in relation to autorenewal

You want the policy to "lapse", not cancelling. Over zealous agents are known to accept requests to cancel policies and invoke their cancellation fees!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

3,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin