Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JESSLT
    • By JESSLT 8th Jul 17, 9:32 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JESSLT
    Claiming money back on convention tickets
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:32 PM
    Claiming money back on convention tickets 8th Jul 17 at 9:32 PM
    Hi all :-)
    Just looking for a bit of advice, I purchased a ticket (£120) for a convention that I was looking to attending next year. I purchased the ticket via bank transfer as this was the only payment method that the company would accept. I found out today that the company (wcm events/Rogue events) has ceased trading and has entered into an insolvency procedure. So I was wondering if there is anything I can be doing to get my £120 back or is it lost??
    Thanks in advance for any help!!
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,548 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    Start here:
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 8th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:50 PM
    you need to find out who the administrator is and log a claim as an unsecure creditor, but you will way down the list as HMRC, banks etc get paid first and if anything is left them you may get some money back
    • JESSLT
    • By JESSLT 8th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JESSLT
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    Thanks both of you for your help! Doesnt sound like I'll have much luck but can only try I suppose!!
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 9th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 13,014 Posts
    • 11,085 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    I found out today that the company (wcm events/Rogue events) has ceased trading and has entered into an insolvency procedure
    Originally posted by JESSLT
    If only there was some warning sign ;-)

Sorry for your troubles though, that totally sucks.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 9th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 697 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    via bank transfer as this was the only payment method that the company would accept.
    Originally posted by JESSLT
    Head and brick wall! Good luck.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 9th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    Looks like someone has been telling porkies as WCM Events is very much still active

• George Michael
    • By George Michael 9th Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 3,808 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    Looks like someone has been telling porkies as WCM Events is very much still active
    Originally posted by angryparcel

A company can show as being active but can still have ceased trading and as it was only last Monday that they announced they had ceased, it might take a while for companies house to get updated and for an administrator to be arranged.

https://rogueevent.co.uk/wordpress/wcm/
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 9th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    A company can show as being active but can still have ceased trading and as it was only last Monday that they announced they had ceased, it might take a while for companies house to get updated and for an administrator to be arranged.

https://rogueevent.co.uk/wordpress/wcm/
    Originally posted by George Michael
    but maybe the OP should contact the accountants that are acting as the registered office to find out the state of play.

Being active means they still have liabilities and owes the OP a full refund
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 9th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 2,810 Posts
    • 3,808 Thanks
    George Michael
    I doubt very much if the accountant would be willing to give out any information about one of their clients to a third party as in all likelihood they would be bound by the Data protection act.

I fully agree that the company owe a full refund but if they don't actually have any assets and as it's is a limited company, getting that refund will be next to impossible.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 4,201 Thanks
    robatwork
    If only there was some warning sign ;-)
    Originally posted by paddyrg
    WCM = we can't manage? we clasp money?
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 11th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 13,550 Posts
    • 23,052 Thanks
    pulliptears
    Search Facebook for the group 'REFUNDS Rogue events/Insurgence 9'

Whilst we don't think anyone will get a refund at this point it is useful for information. Many of us have filed fraud claims with action fraud as the site continued to sell after the date they supposedly ceased trading.
    There was also some dodgy director changing behind the scenes just before they went.
    Knowing they were going to fold they advertised tickets for Asylum 19 (Next years supernatural con) saying that this year was going to be smaller and a lot less tickets on sale. Obviously they then took a lot more money. They even advertised a guest, a very angry guest who has stated on Twitter

"No apology for using MY name and goodwill to solicit fans for a convention you had no hope of staging?"
    Not sure if you have added yourself to the spreadsheet yet, but you'll find it on that group. Owed amount as of this moment is £186,494

As for the comment above about bank transfer, Rogue were a well established UK Convention company that have run many events over many years. There has been 18 Supernatural conventions for example.
    This was a company who year after year people dealt with. Bank transfer wasn't ideal, I think everyone realises that, but after attending so many people felt secure.

The whole thing stinks of reaping as much cash as they could before they went.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 11th Jul 17, 4:44 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    If you get anything back you will be doing well, expect pennies in the pound if you are lucky.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 11th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I doubt very much if the accountant would be willing to give out any information about one of their clients to a third party as in all likelihood they would be bound by the Data protection act.

I fully agree that the company owe a full refund but if they don't actually have any assets and as it's is a limited company, getting that refund will be next to impossible.
    Originally posted by George Michael
    But they should tell you if they company is being wound as they are the legal point of contact for the company ( which is all the OP needs to know) as if he says it is not being wound up then no matter what they say on their website the company is still active and liable to refund everyone.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 11th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    this is the state of their finances

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/06805484/WCM--EVENTS-LIMITED/financials
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    That information is 18 months old.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 11th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    That information is 18 months old.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    info from their last accounts, still best for the OP to contact that accountant to find out if they are dissolving or not.
    companies house still shows them active and if they had started the process through CH it would have shown as (proposed to strike off)
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 12th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 13,550 Posts
    • 23,052 Thanks
    pulliptears
    Small update on where we are. One of the ladies in the group posted this, I'm sure she won't mind me sharing it.

Ok so I have some answers from someone high up in the official receivers office (director level).
    Basically WCM events/ Rogue Events have ceased trading (which we all know and is what their statement says) but they don't actually have to do anything else about it. They don't have to go into voluntary liquidation and are actually unlikely to as it will cost them £4-6k. If customs and revenue decide they want to petition for liquidation if they're owed money in taxes they might petition for liquidation but doubtful as WCM/Rogue have no assets so pointless in pursuing it. They potentially would consider going after individual directors for any tax owing.However it would look more favourable for WCM/rogue if they chose to go down the voluntary route as it would reduce the risks of them being accused of fraudulent activities/misconduct.
    But ultimately WCM/Rogue don't legally have to do anything and nothing will happen automatically. If nothing is ever done, eventually the company will just be struck off. Liquidation of a company is only instigated by the company itself or by one of its creditors (someone it owes money to) but there are costs involved.
    For any creditor wishing to force the company into liquidation they have to pay £1600 for the petition and £280 for the court hearing. Then and only then will there be someone in office to complain about any misconduct for them to investigate.

So the best thing for us to do at this moment is:
    a) write to WCM's accountants (address available on companies' house website or I have attached copy in comments below) and ask what is going on.
    Eg 'I understand you act as accountants for WCM Events Ltd. I am owed money by the company and would like to know what the current legal and financial situation is with regards to its affairs'
    Hopefully at least one of us will get an answer if a few of us write in (and we have over 1000 members now so please get writing!)
    If you would like any clarification about these matters then please contact the Insolvency service Helpline on 0300 678 0015.
    C/O BBK Accountants Ltd
    4a Roman Road
    East Ham
    London
    E6 3RX
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,171Posts Today

8,492Users online

Martin's Twitter