Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tommypee87
    • By tommypee87 8th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tommypee87
    Rating destroyed by santander
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:11 PM
    Rating destroyed by santander 8th Jul 17 at 8:11 PM
    Hi all,
    Wondering if anyone has had any previous similar experiences?
    I took out a 0% credit card with santander to pay off some additional costs after buying my house last year. I had set up a standing order for £50 per month to keep in line with minimum payment. Then in may 16 I paid the card off in full.
    However I forgot to cancel the standing order so ended up £50 in credit. I called santander, asked for the £50 back and to close my account. Done over the phone happy days.
    Then over a year later I find out the account has defaulted due to non-payment!

Phoned santander 3 weeks ago. They admitted total fault. The transfer of the £50 had been managed wrong and had attracted a charge, meaning my account couldn't be closed as it appeared to be in arrears. Many apologies from them over the phone told they will close the account and have my credit report fixed within 2 weeks.

I call yesterday as I've heard nothing, my credit score is sill terrible. Explain to two different people again. Again admit its entirely their fault. Again tell me they'll have it sorted in 2 weeks. But have no record of my previous call!

If i needed to open a credit stream now it would be very difficult. Any similar experiences? anyone know if a complaint for this could be taken further?

Thanks
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 8th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 2,585 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    Do you need to open a "credit stream" right now?

You are aware that your credit score is just some made up number by the CRAs?
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 8th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 6,885 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    Sounds exactly like the kind of case where if you write to the personal finance advice page of a newspaper naming Santander, magically the problem gets fixed.

Next best is, try Twitter as lazy banks are still sensitive to publicity.

Of course you can also apply to ombudsman to have credit score cleared up, but that's work.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Jul 17, 8:33 PM
    • 29,965 Posts
    • 18,974 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:33 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:33 PM
    Why did you not use the credit on a take of petrol and some shopping.

Your score maybe destroyed but only you can see it.

Well you complain, give social media a try or failing that write them a letter following the banks complaints procedure.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 8th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 546 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    Do you think your Credit Score will instantly change? Are you paying for that service?
    Most companies update CRA's once a month and many only report to one agency, so are they contacting especially or doing as part of the normal mass update? Are you checking the agency they report to or are you waiting for the agency you are looking at get their update from the other agency.
    • Chalkius
    • By Chalkius 10th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Chalkius
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    Log a complaint with Santander, and as part of it request for them to correct your file. If they don't do it, take it to the FOS.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,552Posts Today

4,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin