Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • irish-di
    • By irish-di 8th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    irish-di
    Gas and electric - unoccupied property
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    Gas and electric - unoccupied property 8th Jul 17 at 7:43 PM
    Hi

I bought a flat which was empty for a few months: gas and electric services turned off inside the flat. Three months into my ownership they're still turned off as I am waiting for a builder. I don't want to use the same gas and electric supplier as the previous owner. Do I owe standing charges and if so, to whom: the old supplier or my new one?

Thanks
    Irish Di
    PS Will read even though on holiday, albeit at intervals.
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 7,305 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    Disconnected and meters removed by the suppliers, or just turned off by you?

If you just turned them off then you will owe standing charge to the same supplier as the previous owner, as they are still the 'deemed supplier'.

If the supplier disconnected then you can get any supplier to reconnect you and fit a meter, but there may be a charge for this.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 8th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,621 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    If the supplies are still connected, then you have to pay the standing charge bills to the current supplier, whoever that is. If you wish to switch to another supplier, you're free to do so, but it takes 14 days to switch, and until then you pay the old supplier.

If the supplies have been disconnected, then it's up to you to contact a supplier to have them re-connected again, and there will probably be a charge.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • WhoIsThat
    • By WhoIsThat 9th Jul 17, 12:11 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    WhoIsThat
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:11 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:11 PM
    Hi

I bought a flat which was empty for a few months: gas and electric services turned off inside the flat. Three months into my ownership they're still turned off as I am waiting for a builder. I don't want to use the same gas and electric supplier as the previous owner. Do I owe standing charges and if so, to whom: the old supplier or my new one?

Thanks
    Irish Di
    PS Will read even though on holiday, albeit at intervals.
    Originally posted by irish-di
    This is the LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels sub-board, so presumably the most appropriate location for this thread you thought?

You cannot change supplier until you register with the existing supplier.
    That supplier will charge you according to their default tariff unless you elect/agree to a different one
    Once registered, you are free to switch supplier.

(I know what you are attempting to ask, but I'm not answering that hypothetical question as I sure you have probably used some energy over those months you have owned it, perhaps turned on a light, have mains powered smoke alarms, a burgular alarm, or even perhaps a pilot light for a gas supply. Perhaps someone else will entertain you and start the argument you are seeking over an entirely hypothetical situation).

If you can afford to buy a house and leave it empty for months doing nothing, well...
    Presumably it's paid for outright as otherwsie you would also probably be in default of your mortgage agreement

Perhaps spend your efforts sourcing another builder. The money you are wasting awaiting the current builder to be available will make any energy bills insignificant.

Enjoy your holiday!
    Last edited by WhoIsThat; 09-07-2017 at 12:18 PM.
    • irish-di
    • By irish-di 16th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    irish-di
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    Thanks, everyone, most helpful - I know now what I have to do!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin