Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • srhope
    • By srhope 8th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    srhope
    0 WOW
    Fruit pricing by piece
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    0 WOW
    Fruit pricing by piece 8th Jul 17 at 7:20 PM
    I've noticed that all supermarkets have recently changed to pricing almost all of their fresh fruit by the piece rather than by weight. This is to discourage comparison between retailers and to disguise inflation by shrinking the size of fruit while keeping the cost the same. I strongly suspect that small greengrocers and market stalls, who all still price by weight, are still considerably more expensive, as they have been for a long time.

Is there anything we shoppers can do?
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 9,074 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    They've always sold some fruit individually - for people who want one or two items as a snack.

There's been no change at Lidl or Aldi - Aldi still sells most fruit in sealed multipacks and Lidl sells a combination of sealed packs and loose items by weight.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • srhope
    • By srhope 8th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    srhope
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    I was in Aldi, Lidl and ASDA today and I looked on mysupermarket.com. They're all at it: almost all the fruit is priced per piece, especially apples. Check them if you don't believe me.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 8th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 9,074 Posts
    • 8,517 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    I was in Lidl yesterday - no change. I bought a pack of Strawberries and of Apples - both priced per sealed pack.

Do you mean that sealed packs of Apples are being sold as "5 fruit" rather than "1.5Kg", for example? There's a simple answer to that - weigh them using the scales that must be provided if ANY products are being sold loose by weight.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • jeanmd
    • By jeanmd 8th Jul 17, 11:43 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 23,844 Thanks
    jeanmd
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:43 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:43 PM
    I was in Lidl yesterday - no change. I bought a pack of Strawberries and of Apples - both priced per sealed pack.

Do you mean that sealed packs of Apples are being sold as "5 fruit" rather than "1.5Kg", for example? There's a simple answer to that - weigh them using the scales that must be provided if ANY products are being sold loose by weight.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    Must admit to weighing them in Lidl on Thursday as I noticed it didn't say the weight on the pack. Easy to do though.
    Thank you to everyone who contributes to mse.

"Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most" - Unknown Author
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 15,086 Posts
    • 122,330 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:18 AM

Is there anything we shoppers can do?
    Originally posted by srhope
    yes, vote with your feet if you are unhappy with things
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    robin58
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    Went to my local Asda. Apart from a token tray of loose carrots it was all in prepacked.

Well being someone who doesn't want 1 kilo or so many of something, they have lost my custom.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • meer53
    • By meer53 11th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 8,785 Posts
    • 12,758 Thanks
    meer53
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    It's not all supermarkets, i've been in Aldi and Tesco today, you can buy both prepacked multiple fruits and single items. It's always been that way, you can select a bag and buy one item if you wish ?
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    robin58
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    It's not all supermarkets, i've been in Aldi and Tesco today, you can buy both prepacked multiple fruits and single items. It's always been that way, you can select a bag and buy one item if you wish ?
    Originally posted by meer53
    You say that but at one time you could buy loose product at COOP, then thry went prepacked.

Ok you can buy loose at other supermarkets but if Asda shows they can up thier sales and keep down thier costs other main supermarkets may take it up.

The only plus with prepacked is if your lucky you may get a bargain yellow sticker at the end if the day as they try to offload stuff.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 12th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 2,084 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    Luckily my Co op sells fruit and veg loose as well as pre packed which is handy, I often only want to buy a small quantity not a whole pack of something.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 14th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 6,948 Posts
    • 12,704 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I live alone so some produce lines, I'm happy to buy in prepacked. Others such as onions, I just buy 3 loose.

I have seen people splitting a pack of four jacket potatoes and select three of them. They cost 15-20p more than buying the pack of four. Serves them right!
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 14th Jul 17, 11:02 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    My town has a large Tesco and a small Tesco ; the small one charges per banana, the large one charges per kilo of bananas.
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 19th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 2,371 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    Originally posted by meer53
    Or not. Depending on where you live. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4505122/Asda-stops-selling-loose-fruit-vegetables.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,460Users online

Martin's Twitter