Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 8th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    • 151Posts
    • 80Thanks
    Marcon
    Strange sort of feedback...
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:34 PM
    Strange sort of feedback... 8th Jul 17 at 6:34 PM
    I've noticed a trend in the last couple of months which has baffled me and I'm hoping more experienced ebay users might know why! Instead of leaving feedback about the service, speed of dispatch or quality of item, I'm increasingly getting positive feedback which simply states what the item was e.g. 'pink necklace' or 'Mozart CD'.

Any thoughts, please?
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 15,263 Posts
    • 11,085 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    ' strange'
    ' peculiar'
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 8th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 4,345 Posts
    • 3,741 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    Never had that or seen that. I do seem to get plenty of people who leave feedback of . Wondering if this is the same. Want to leave feedback so they know received it but too lazy to make any effort.
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 9th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 13,553 Posts
    • 23,053 Thanks
    pulliptears
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    I've seen it done in the past to deter resellers selling on buying accounts, a quick look at feedback can reveal the price they paid.

Also helpful if someone is selling say a 'working iPhone 7' and had purchased 'iphone 7 for spares' the week before.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• payandisplay
    • By payandisplay 9th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    payandisplay
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    Lets face it, the whole feedback thing has become meaningless since sellers have been unable to leave negatives for buyers.
    Best to forget it completely.
    • emmbrook
    • By emmbrook 9th Jul 17, 11:49 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    emmbrook
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:49 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:49 PM
    Only if you see it solely from a seller's point of view. I like to be able to see feedback when I'm looking to buy as negs, and responses to them, can tell you a lot. As for negging buyers that system was far from useful. Unpaid item strikes are more effective as they can't bid in the first place.
    • Pun
    • By Pun 10th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Pun
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    Lets face it, the whole feedback thing has become meaningless since sellers have been unable to leave negatives for buyers.
    Best to forget it completely.
    Originally posted by payandisplay
    Leaving negatives for buyers is pointless - by the time they've bought, it's too late to vet! If they don't pay, report to ebay accordingly.

I certainly do mind about how a seller behaves, and seeing feedback from other people is extremely useful.
    • payandisplay
    • By payandisplay 10th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    payandisplay
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    Leaving negatives for buyers is pointless - by the time they've bought, it's too late to vet! If they don't pay, report to ebay accordingly.

I certainly do mind about how a seller behaves, and seeing feedback from other people is extremely useful.
    Originally posted by Pun
    That's nonsense. You see a bidders ID when they bid,
    not just when they buy. If they had bad feedback you could remove their bid.

Most people have seperate ID's for buying and selling.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 59,076 Posts
    • 41,869 Thanks
    soolin
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:41 PM

The majority of items on ebay are now BIN, the percentage does vary but due to the large business shops the percentage of auctions are falling all the time. Therefore the seller can't see the feedback before a buyer buys.

Also whilst of course you may be in a position to sit by the PC at auction ending time and watch every bid most of us prefer to leave ebay running and go and do something more important. You also wouldn't be able to stop a snipe!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 25,664 Posts
    • 10,200 Thanks
    forgotmyname

Even if they bid with less than 10 seconds to go?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,586Posts Today

9,253Users online

Martin's Twitter