Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 8th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 3,320Posts
    • 26,034Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Removal People - Should/Would you tip them?
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    Removal People - Should/Would you tip them? 8th Jul 17 at 5:58 PM
    As it says, moving on Friday but they are mostly packing Wednesday.
Page 2
    • Hedgehog99
    • By Hedgehog99 9th Jul 17, 11:38 AM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    Hedgehog99
    I kept the cash handy so I could decide whether to tip, depending on whether they did a good job.

It was a hot day and they worked hard with barely a break for lunch.

I gave them each £10 in the end (three guys).

Later I discovered they had broken some crockery and hadn't owned up (it was missing and I had heard a bit of a clatter while they were packing), but you cannot discover these kinds of problems until later.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 9th Jul 17, 12:23 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 6,677 Thanks
    deannatrois
    When I moved last month, absolute disaster.

All in their 20's, two vans, way too small. Destroyed items, left items behind we spent days chasing down.

Because they were also moving the stuff of the people whose house we were moving into and their stuff was underestimated (meaning a long gap in between going to drop their furniture off and coming back with our second load), they left our fridge in the garden at our old house for 6 hours meaning I had to throw all our food out because it had defrosted etc. Then when they did come round they were dumping stuff in the hallway at high speed and me and my 20 year old son (who has disabilities, as do I) were frantically trying to keep the hallway clear to avoid stuff being left in the open outside.

The whole point in hiring them was to not have to do the lifting and humping ourselves. Got all that plus loads of stress and expense replacing essential items they broke.

All in 29 degree heat.

No didn't give a tip. We did buy ice creams and supply cold drinks we bought as a humanitarian gesture but I am not sure I'd have done that given how bad they were if I'd have had time to think. A removal I will never ever forget. They weren't overly cheap either. Still trying to get some money back. Last time I ever take recommendations from that friend lol.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 09-07-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 9th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    No I wouldnt. I would provide tea/coffee as needed.

Lots of people provide good service in low paid jobs. Any one of you ever tipped a nurse or Burger King employee?

• dionysia
    • By dionysia 9th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    dionysia
    I always tip, but I've been using the same small business for years (I rent in London and have moved about every 18 months) and the owner is very good and always sends capable, polite, cheerful guys who do a good job. It's a white-van kind of operation (I pack myself, they just do the actual move) and I think the convention there is to tip, perhaps with full-service it's a bit more professionalised?
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 9th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 2,536 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Lots of people provide good service in low paid jobs. Any one of you ever tipped a nurse or Burger King employee?
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    I would be interested to hear from those who said they do tip in this thread.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 9th Jul 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,964 Posts
    • 5,123 Thanks
    Loanranger
    I have always tipped the removal men and will continue to do so. They deserve it after a day of back breaking work and maybe a previous day of wrapping and packing.
    Definitely yes.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 9th Jul 17, 11:53 PM
    • 9,531 Posts
    • 12,018 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    We have given presents to nurses when they cared for my OH's son and my dad and sent cards. Same as teachers often get presents.

Cash seems crude for certain professions. I don't know why. It'd be like someone slipping me a fiver for doing my work well. Of course I'd love cash tips, but it would feel incredibly inappropriate, maybe even a tad creepy.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Ithaca
    • By Ithaca 10th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ithaca
    We moved two years ago this week on the hottest day of the year - our three removal guys spent a day working in properly sweltering temperatures and due to a late completion time they were still going at 8pm.

We bought a 12 pack of cold coca cola and ordered a couple of extra pizzas from Dominoes for our tea to share with them which felt like a reasonable thing to do.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 17th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,034 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    An update (creepy or not).

Three guys worked like dogs and were charming and helpful so we tipped them £20 each. They were pleased but not especially surprised.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 9,531 Posts
    • 12,018 Thanks
    hazyjo
    An update (creepy or not).

Three guys worked like dogs and were charming and helpful so we tipped them £20 each. They were pleased but not especially surprised.
    Originally posted by smallholdingsister
    Nice one (I think it's appropriate in the circumstances, even if others don't )
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 17th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    I tipped the guy's who did our last move, well I gave them a crate of beer each as i felt they went above and beyond. They moved us the last weekend before Christmas and completing a large lorry pack a drive from Norfolk to Gloucestershire and an unpack in record time.
    • anonmum
    • By anonmum 19th Jul 17, 3:28 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    anonmum
    Tipping question
    Hi,

I would always tip removals people (prob £20 each unless there was ten of them!) unless they dropped something (and damaged it), broke something major or were unfriendly.

I always make tea/coffee/cold drinks as often as they want, maybe snacks (couple of boxes of mr kipling pies or something, poss pizza if was a long day - which it often is...) - a happy worker, works harder, a worker shown respect will respect your stuff more (hopefully)!

Another tip from my many moves would be to mark your boxes - not only with the contents - to help your unpacking - but also with where in the new house you want the box to end up - and if it isn't obvious which bedroom is bedroom 1 or 2 - put signs on the doors too.
    Good luck with your move!

Helen
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 19th Jul 17, 6:45 AM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 6,214 Thanks
    tori.k
    My son's first job was as a porter for a removals company's, the guys like most I would gather we're paid by the job/day, which was great for him on small local jobs, but on some he'd be lucky to be earning £2 pH, due to travel or waiting for keys,so could be a long day for little financial reward, so tips made all the difference in jobs like those. It's an expensive service but it's also very expensive to run a legit removals firm.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 19th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    shortcrust
    It's patronising and condescending. You wouldn't dream of tipping someone who wears a shirt and tie but stick an overall on them and get them to do a manual job and suddenly it's ok to slip them an extra twenty so they can treat themselves to a crate of brown ale and a chip butty.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 19th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    • 2,828 Posts
    • 6,214 Thanks
    tori.k
    It's patronising and condescending. You wouldn't dream of tipping someone who wears a shirt and tie but stick an overall on them and get them to do a manual job and suddenly it's ok to slip them an extra twenty so they can treat themselves to a crate of brown ale and a chip butty.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    No we've tipped the guys a thank you that worked family funerals as well ln serious most professional jobs the industry doesn't look kindly on cash tips from individual's, the kickback usually comes from the company's in performance bonus that far exceed the cost of a pint.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 25300
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 19th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 9,531 Posts
    • 12,018 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Is this the usual case of people deciding that for them? Ask any removals bod if they're insulted or feel it patronising that someone gives them a cash tip.
    • Grampus8
    • By Grampus8 19th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Grampus8
    Sounds a bit trite, but I would and have, but only if they did a decent job. Got £20 each (only two of them).
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 19th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 16,907 Posts
    • 27,463 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Any one of you ever tipped a nurse or Burger King employee?[/youtube]
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    We made sure a relative sent a nice box of chocolates to the nurses in A&E after they patched him up recently.

I think we tipped our removal drivers £20. It's not much money in the grand scheme of moving house. I think the entire process cost me > £12,000 last time I moved.. so what's £20?

Day to day, I'll tip in a restaurant and in my barbers. I won't tip in a taxi after I've had so many brag about their second homes.
    • Grampus8
    • By Grampus8 19th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    Grampus8
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Yep, I absolutely have done this. Not in cash perhaps but I have taken flowers/chocolates to nurses before.

The Burger King analogy is a bit pathetic really, its hardly in the same ball park as potentially saving your life/trusting someone with all your worldly possessions.
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 19th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 26,034 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    I guess if they feel patronised they are free to hand the money back or donate it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,689Posts Today

5,628Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin