Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 8th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 3,311Posts
    • 25,977Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Removal People - Should/Would you tip them?
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    Removal People - Should/Would you tip them? 8th Jul 17 at 5:58 PM
    As it says, moving on Friday but they are mostly packing Wednesday.
Page 1
    • Jimmy_Neutron
    • By Jimmy_Neutron 8th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Jimmy_Neutron
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    Reservoir Dogs - Tipping Scene

Up to you....
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 8th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 25,977 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    Funny in places. Anti Semitic in places though.

You must have watched it even more times than me!
    • LKRDN_Morgan
    • By LKRDN_Morgan 8th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 810 Thanks
    LKRDN_Morgan
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    Call me tight but no! This craze for tipping when you're already paying good money for a service drives me nuts
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 5,787 Posts
    • 5,536 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:04 PM
    Remember to tip your solicitor, estate agent and mortgage broker too.
    • dancing_star
    • By dancing_star 8th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    dancing_star
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    Not a chuffing chance! Well, not the sharks who moved my stuff last time anyway. They charged me a fortune as it was!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 2,521 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:13 PM
    No it's their job like any other e.g. a cashier in a supermarket/shop.

Like someone else said, solicitor too?
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 8th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 3,311 Posts
    • 25,977 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    Did you watch the clip?!
    • aliby21
    • By aliby21 8th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    aliby21
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    Yes, I have done and would again. Lots of tea/coffee/biscuits/cake/sausage rolls etc and a good tip. They work bloody hard, and considering how much a removal firm costs in the grand scheme of moving house expenditure I think they are a bargain and well worth tipping.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 8th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 288 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    JP1978
    We tipped, just £20 between 3 of them - BUT it's a family business and they had helped up out the day before moving.

I hired a van to move the shed contents but not all the shed panels fitted in.

Called the removal company and asked if they had a larger van and if they could take the panels and leave them at the father in laws house (where contents of shed were) - within 30 minutes of calling they were at the house - took the two panels away (the smaller ones were already in the hire van).

We got to my FIL's house and found that, they removal company had drove by our new house, spoke to the vendors and left the shed panels in the back garden to save double handling.

All for free. So they made a 20 mile round trip to our house, to our new house and back the their base - 2 men, for free.

That deserved a tip!

Been a small family service though, I suppose you get that added personal touch.
    • andyf1980
    • By andyf1980 8th Jul 17, 9:23 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 562 Thanks
    andyf1980
    If they do a good job I'd tip them. Just enough for a beer; mind you that's about £50 down here!
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 8th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 3,455 Posts
    • 18,945 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    Our 3 removal men went above and beyond. 8.30am until 7pm on a warm August day last year. We tipped them £20 each. The removal company didn't charge us for the extra hours so we were all happy.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • cjm888
    • By cjm888 8th Jul 17, 9:58 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    cjm888
    Yes I tipped them £20 each (x3) as they did a good job.

For some reasons its one of those professions that you tip like a taxi driver..
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 8th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 2,406 Posts
    • 2,689 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    If they do a good job, no. If they do an exceptional job including above and beyond, yes, maybe £10 each
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 9th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    • 9,520 Posts
    • 12,004 Thanks
    hazyjo
    This has come up many times before...

Yes, I tip. But then I use the same removal company, and they often go over and above the call of duty. Last time they stopped en route to collect a second hand fridge freezer to see me through for a few months until I replaced the kitchen, and they took my sofa apart (it's not meant to be dismantled!) and re-fixed it together so it'd get through the lounge door. They have always been very helpful. I gave them £50 I think for 3 or 4 of them.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Jul 17, 7:43 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 6,578 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Useful post this as we are moving next month

We are using a local family firm with an excellent reputation and recommendations from friends. I never thought about tipping to be honest but will have some cash lined up.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 7:46 AM
    • 15,075 Posts
    • 13,392 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Call me tight but no! This craze for tipping when you're already paying good money for a service drives me nuts
    Originally posted by LKRDN_Morgan
    Creeping Americanism.
    • nicmyles
    • By nicmyles 9th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    nicmyles
    I've always tipped removal men when they've done a good job. Usually c. £20 each.

I hear what others are saying querying the need to tip when you're already paying for the work. But I think it's justifiable in this case given that:

-it's pretty back-breaking physical work, particularly if you have lots of stairs and large furniture
    -they're likely to be on minimum wage or taking cash in hand so whatever you're paying, they're not seeing much of it
    -you've entrusted all your worldly possessions to them and they've treated them with care and respect.

None of that feels like a normal supplier relationship (eg solicitor) to me, hence the tip. I think it's just showing them a bit of respect really. Obviously none of that applies if they did a poor job for whatever reason (lack of care, rudeness, etc).
    • bagpussbear
    • By bagpussbear 9th Jul 17, 9:45 AM
    • 753 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    bagpussbear
    Yes, I've always tipped.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 9th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 6,338 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    Our last team of removers - five of them - also went beyond the call of duty, for example helping DH carefully dismantle an antique bookcase in order to get it up the wider of two staircases in our new-to-us house and somehow managing to lift a huge sofa up onto a first floor balcony which was the only way we could get it into the first floor room. We were already paying them in excess of £3.5k for a long-distance move over five days, but tipped them £20 each
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,555Posts Today

4,172Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin