Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 8th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 18,390Posts
    • 194,868Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Problem with Neff built in oven
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    Problem with Neff built in oven 8th Jul 17 at 5:26 PM
    We have a Neff B1442 that has gone wrong somehow. It still has power to it as the fan and light work, but none of the elements heat up. I was wondering if it was the thermostat but the oven had obviously heated up to a certain degree and the light was going out if I turned the temperature down to below the temperature it was at.

We heard a bang in the kitchen while it was on, not a loud one and not sure it is related.

Just wondering if there is a fuse that could be related to this, or a component of some sort?

Any help would be appreciated. My husband is an electronics engineer, just not used to dealing with ovens.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
Page 1
    • mistermo
    • By mistermo 8th Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mistermo
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:21 PM
    I would google the issue or phone neff direct - normally pretty good with these things.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 9th Jul 17, 8:43 AM
    • 18,390 Posts
    • 194,868 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:43 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:43 AM
    Thank you mistermo, I have googled but am coming up with nothing usable, just the possible demo mode and cant find out how to turn it off if it is on, and I always buy things with as few electronics as possible so unlikely to have a demo mode.

I have actually emailed Neff so will see what they come back with.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    My guess would be element failure given the symptoms described.
    • jbainbridge
    • By jbainbridge 9th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 1,095 Thanks
    jbainbridge
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:49 AM
    Sounds like the element had blown. You can replace it yourself of your handy. New element will be £15-20 I expect.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 9th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 18,390 Posts
    • 194,868 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    Sounds like the element had blown. You can replace it yourself of your handy. New element will be £15-20 I expect.
    Originally posted by jbainbridge
    But it is all the elements, none of them work. I should stress that one of them has never been used.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    How many elements do you have? Are we talking JUST the oven or do you mean the whole cooker? Sometimes there are two elements in an oven where the one is used for oven function and one serves as a grill element.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 9th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 18,390 Posts
    • 194,868 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    It is a fitted oven, it has top element, bottom element, fan element, and two grill elements, none of them are heating up.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    Then it is not the element(s). It is possible it is the selector switch. Does the oven function correctly when selecting each/any of the 9 positions on the function selector?

ETA Just seen post #10 and that is a good idea. Can you recall if there is a cooling fan for cooling down the control panel. It would probably have run on after cooking had finished. If this has failed the panel would become overheated and cut out. When it did it on my old built-in, I had to replace the cut-out switch.
    Last edited by Le_Kirk; 09-07-2017 at 6:16 PM.
    • mistermo
    • By mistermo 9th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mistermo
    If your husband is an engineer then i would recommend that if he can , try to remove one of the elements and test the wiring with a multimeter and see if its an open circuit? Could also be the thermal cut out which is in line with the element wiring. If this is the cause it would be wise to go to a professional to have it looked at.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 9th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 18,390 Posts
    • 194,868 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    When using the selector switch it engages the fan when it is intended for use, does not engage the fan when set for grill or just the top or bottom element.

We have had the oven out of the housing today and taken the panels off, it has a very large cooling fan on the top, but there is nothing suspicious going on, no visible signs of anything going, although obviously it may not necessarily be visible.

If it was the thermal cut-out would it not have simply blocked the oven from working full stop? Also slightly concerned at what would have activated the thermal cut-out, it is only 10 or 11 years old.

Not a problem testing the elements, we have done it before, but have to wonder what the point would be? As it is all elements so possibly something else entirely?
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    When using the selector switch it engages the fan when it is intended for use, does not engage the fan when set for grill or just the top or bottom element.
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    That seems to eliminate the selector switch as the culprit then.

We have had the oven out of the housing today and taken the panels off, it has a very large cooling fan on the top, but there is nothing suspicious going on, no visible signs of anything going, although obviously it may not necessarily be visible.
    But does the fan work?

If it was the thermal cut-out would it not have simply blocked the oven from working full stop? Also slightly concerned at what would have activated the thermal cut-out, it is only 10 or 11 years old.
    Not necessarily, it might be good design to have the fans run in order to aid the cooling effect once the cut-out has been activated. Only the designers know or you can find out by checking the circuitry. If you have taken the oven out and been able to access the fan, can you see and test the cut-out?

Not a problem testing the elements, we have done it before, but have to wonder what the point would be? As it is all elements so possibly something else entirely?
    Tend to agree, I think it is a supply issue. If you have gained access to the elements are you able to (safely) turn on the oven and test for voltage at each/any element?
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 10th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 18,390 Posts
    • 194,868 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    We are going to take the oven out again tomorrow and check the thermal fuse.

If that is not the culprit then we will test the elements one by one, or if the first one tests OK then that eliminates that.

Not sure that the fan works, it looked OK but have not tested. If it is any indication I have not noticed any difference in the sound of the oven. How can we test the cooling fan when the oven is not heating, will it come on anyway if we can manage to turn the oven on with the top casing off? Looks electrically safe to do with normal precautions?

Thank you for all your help.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 10th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    How can we test the cooling fan when the oven is not heating, will it come on anyway if we can manage to turn the oven on with the top casing off? Looks electrically safe to do with normal precautions?
    Yep, my thought as well, as soon as I had posted the reply. If it were me, I would just connect it to a power supply but then I used to be an engineer (I'm cured now) and worked on huge industrial bread ovens.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 18,390 Posts
    • 194,868 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Just thought I would update. We checked the thermal fuse and now have another one on order. Hopefully we will have a working oven again next week so thank you all
    • matbe
    • By matbe 13th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 835 Thanks
    matbe
    With most ovens with clocks on them, if the time is not set or is flashing
    the oven will not work, try setting the time if you haven't already.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 13th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 18,390 Posts
    • 194,868 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Thanks matbe, but it was not a problem with the clock, that I know for sure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,450Posts Today

6,969Users online

Martin's Twitter