Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiree
    • By Tiree 8th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 49Thanks
    Tiree
    Investment for 18 Year Old
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    Investment for 18 Year Old 8th Jul 17 at 5:22 PM
    In a bit of a quandary. My 18 year old is hoping to head to uni in September. There is a children's bond maturing with £4353 and I don't know if we should use it to top up the loan, replace the loan with the cash or put it in a life time ISA or something else. Want to make the best of this opportunity and not sure what to do.
Page 1
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 8th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 6,086 Posts
    • 4,126 Thanks
    Reaper
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    I have no expertise on student loans but I wouldn't replace the loan with savings as it's cheap and might never have to repaid. Have a read here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes
    • butterflymum
    • By butterflymum 9th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    butterflymum
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    I don't know if we should use it to

Do remember, though, that as your 'child' is 18, the maturing children's bond (assuming it is a National Savings one), will be payable to them and they will then be free to use the money in whatever way they wish. You can offer guidance and suggestions to them and in doing so, hopefully help them develop good, financial awareness and make a wise choice with regards what to do with their money.
    butterfly )i(
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 22,015 Posts
    • 12,697 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    What exactly do you mean by "children's bond"?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin