Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • faerielight
    • By faerielight 8th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,612Posts
    • 2,989Thanks
    faerielight
    letter from solicitor firm
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    letter from solicitor firm 8th Jul 17 at 5:03 PM
    My situation with my inheritance situation just got messier.. I requested a copy of the will for my mother's flat flat in spain that my uncle is going to receive, and also requested that I go back to the house to get the rest of the photographs. I just got a letter from the solicitor/friend of my uncle/executor of my mother's estate refusing me a copy of the spanish will, refusing my visit to the house, and saying that my uncle has instructed the firm , as well as himself for no communication with me regarding the progress, and I will just receive a cheque when the house is sold.

This is not a good situation for me as I'm on esa and really needed a heads up so I could put the money into buying a small flat, instead of it going on my rent, and they knew that, so it's a good way for my uncle to mess me over. they have also refused me any say in the sale of the house..

I don't trust my uncle as he is very abusive, hates me , and my family have always been crooked. I just want to know that everything is above board, also he could take a low sale just to cut my money down. Do I have any rights? This is causing me so much anxiety, I feel like throwing the towel in and letting my uncle have it all.
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE
Page 1
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 8th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:42 PM
    It's very sad to hear about your situation. I think that you should consult a solicitor, who can tell you about your rights in this scenario. I hope that you can continue to be strong and don't give up.
    • faerielight
    • By faerielight 8th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    faerielight
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:47 PM
    thank you, it is really sad
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 9th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    Skimmed over your previous threads to refresh my memory. I'm afraid faerielight you're stuck between a rock & a hard place.

You REALLY need a solicitor to fight your corner & ensure everything is finalised legally & above board, particularly as it doesn't even seem that the Spanish 'Will' has even been been translated, & the qualifications of those handling some of this on behalf of your uncle sound suspect.

Your uncle is clearly aware you are very vulnerable & taking full advantage of that. Hopefully someone might have a suggestion as to where you might get some free legal assistance. Or help with what to do so that uncle is obliged to keep it all above board.

Sadly, it sounds like you also don't want to delay receiving your share of any inheritance, forcing some issues to ensure legality/fairness/Wills being complied with to the letter, may well have the knock-on effect of that though.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 40,953 Posts
    • 16,758 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:29 PM
    In the UK, a will is public property once probate has been applied for. Is the system in Spain very different? If not, you would simply need to make the necessary application and pay the fee to obtain a copy.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 10th Jul 17, 12:03 AM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,100 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:03 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:03 AM
    In the UK, a will is public property once probate has been applied for. Is the system in Spain very different? If not, you would simply need to make the necessary application and pay the fee to obtain a copy.
    Originally posted by macman
    In most cases the Spanish authorites accept a will made in the country where the testator is domiciled. So the English will may be accepted in Spain.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 10-07-2017 at 12:14 AM.
    • faerielight
    • By faerielight 10th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 2,989 Thanks
    faerielight
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    thanks guys for your replies, yes, my uncle does know I'm vulnerable and is exploiting it. I've just taken on a solicitor today for 4 hours work for £1200 to come out of the inheritance.. she is going to try and let them know that I've got a legal eye on them. I really hope it helps a bit. It's so hard to know what's going on there as they have been so obstructive, I literally can't see the wood for the trees, but I am suspicious of the spanish property situation, and not sure if it's all above board or not. I read a bit about spanish wills and there is something called "forced heirship" where the adult children are entitled to some of the inheritance . It's confusing enough being ignorant of the inheritance legal system, and selling property, let alone understanding spanish law! I could probably do with a spanish speaking solicitor too, but I can't afford it, especially as I don't know how much inheritance I will get once the debts are paid. I'm going through so much dealing with all of this on top of my mental and physical health problems, I just wish I had an uncle with a scrap of humanity , and a decent or at least impartial law firm dealing with the estate
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,734Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin