Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 8th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 537Posts
    • 438Thanks
    Carrot007
    What to shove in hole in wall above consumer unit?
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    What to shove in hole in wall above consumer unit? 8th Jul 17 at 4:41 PM
    As the title say's "What to shove in hole in wall above consumer unit?"

There is a hole in the wall above the consumer unit into which the wires go on their way to wherever they go around the house.

My annoiance is this...

Every time I open the cupbaord to rtead the meter next to the consumer unit 100's of little polystrene (or whatever) balls are sucked down from the hole!

Yeah wall insulation I know, the hole is about large fist sized, any idea how best to put something there to stop the balls falling down!

Cheers!
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 18,648 Posts
    • 15,548 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    Last edited by wealdroam; 08-07-2017 at 4:48 PM.
    • Crinkmeister
    • By Crinkmeister 8th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Crinkmeister
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    Only problem with expanding foam is that it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket, so if you ever need to add/remove wires, you will be in for a job and three quarters. Can you not make a small cover out of ply or hardboard that fits round the wires and covers the hole?
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 8th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    100's of little polystrene (or whatever) balls are sucked down from the hole!
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Polystyrene rots the PVC sheath on power cables.

http://www.esfrs.org/black-museum/all-the-black-museum-cases/pvc-cable-insulation-and-polystyrene-insulation/
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 8th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 1,707 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    Only problem with expanding foam is that it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket, so if you ever need to add/remove wires, you will be in for a job and three quarters.
    Originally posted by Crinkmeister
    A good tug on the cables, and they will normally break free - I have some cables that run round the end of an RSJ. Filled the hole with expanding foam, and then needed a bit of slack. A quick tug, and I got the few inches that I needed.

When it comes to running extra cables through the foam, a stick is sufficient to poke a hole through the stuff.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 2,283 Posts
    • 1,522 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:01 PM
    As the title say's "What to shove in hole in wall above consumer unit?"

Cheers!
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Screwed up newspaper, bit of old rag, cardboard, bit of plasterboard, wood, just about anything hole sized.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,232Posts Today

8,095Users online

Martin's Twitter