Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 8th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 2,894Posts
    • 43,801Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    Chrome woes - solved - thanks!
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    Chrome woes - solved - thanks! 8th Jul 17 at 4:07 PM
    I've spent ages on this and am no further forward, wondering if anyone has any ideas...

Last night I discovered Chrome wouldn't open and again won't open today. I ran an anti-virus scan and that found nothing. Also ran malware scan and that also found nothing.

I've uninstalled Chrome and then tried to re-install it. The setup file saves to my computer but when I try and install it says:

"Installation failed due to unspecified error", which is really helpful (!)

I have also done a system restore back to last month, but that hasn't worked either (before uninstalling)

Anyone have any more ideas?
    Last edited by OneYorkshireLass; 08-07-2017 at 10:14 PM.
    #TeamCarter
Page 1
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 8th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 43,801 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    In other news ...

I've just been using Avast SafeZone Browser (never knew this existed), and just managed to import my bookmarks from Chrome, even though Chrome is supposed to have been uninstalled from the pc. So presumably it is still hanging around somewhere.

I'd previously been trying to catch my bookmarks by doing Ctrl+Shift+B to create a file for them, before I unstalled Chrome. But the only ones that appeared in that format were ones from around Christmas time.

Any ideas why it hasn't uninstalled and how to get rid entirely?
    #TeamCarter
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 8th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 43,801 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    In further news ...

Have done a search of the computer and found lots of Chrome related files and folders ....
    #TeamCarter
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 1,489 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    Aren't Chrome bookmarks up there in the cloud somewhere? I can be of no further help as I don't understand computers.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 8th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    Aren't Chrome bookmarks up there in the cloud somewhere? I can be of no further help as I don't understand computers.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Yes they are linked to your google account, this is why i use Chrome, so as long as you save the bookmarks when you link chrome to your google account the bookmarks will show up
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 8th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:05 PM

Any ideas why it hasn't uninstalled and how to get rid entirely?
    Originally posted by OneYorkshireLass
    Chrome is installed in your profile (really bad practice) in the following folder

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome

It also installs a lot of things in the registry

When you un-install it they assume you might want to come back and keep your settings.

Start by running CCleaner, you can download it by clicking HERE

Then run Revo Uninstaller you can download it by clicking HERE

With Revo use the last option (Advanced), after the install it will show you registry entries from Chrome, choose "select all" then delete, it will then show you the files left behind, again select all and delete.

When done log out and reboot.
    Last edited by DavidP24; 08-07-2017 at 6:09 PM.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 5,237 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    "Installation failed due to unspecified error", which is really helpful (!)
    Are there any relevant error messages appearing in the Event Viewer? (Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer).

It might be easier to reproduce the error again, so you can make a note of what time the error occurred (which will make it much easier to identify which error(s), if any, are the result of the failed installation).

I've... just managed to import my bookmarks from Chrome, even though Chrome is supposed to have been uninstalled from the pc. So presumably it is still hanging around somewhere.
    As above, your user profile is stored separately from Chrome itself. Usually when you uninstall a program, your profile will be kept so you can reinstall it later with your previous settings/bookmarks, etc.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 8th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:54 PM
    What I hate about Chrome is that it installs the program in the profile, I am surprised that hackers have not targeted Chrome executables which are just sitting there waiting to be abused.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 7,377 Posts
    • 5,237 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:59 PM
    What I hate about Chrome is that it installs the program in the profile, I am surprised that hackers have not targeted Chrome executables which are just sitting there waiting to be abused.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Really?! I've just borked my Windows installation so I can't check (not that I don't believe you!). That's just crazy, though. :-/
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 8th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 43,801 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    I've run CCleaner and Revo. With Revo it's not showing any Chrome related entries. Although I haven't seen an 'advanced' section ...

Can't see anything relevant in the Event Viewer
    #TeamCarter
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 8th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    MrJones1
    You should try installing an older version of Chrome.
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 8th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    hans 2
    In Revo Click Forced Uninstall at top

Type Chrome in exact name box

Select advanced in scanning options

Click next
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 8th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 43,801 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    Followed the steps in Revo, and restarted, but still no joy. I can't even get the install working now, when I click to download it does nothing.

How do I install an older version of Chrome? I did update Chrome this week, but it seemed to be working fine until yesterday.

On a positive note: all this cleaning has made my computer go like the clappers. S'like I just took it out of the box
    Last edited by OneYorkshireLass; 08-07-2017 at 8:58 PM.
    #TeamCarter
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 8th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    MrJones1
    Google does not officially provide people with their older versions of Chrome. There are third party providers but the suggestions on Google's own forum "Google Product Forums" point at Slimjet.

https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php

I hope you find a solution.
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 8th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 43,801 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    Yay! I'm back on Chrome by downloading an older version.

Thanks to all who made suggestions

(I'd got really used to Chrome, but after using Opera for a little while I'm finding it much faster)
    #TeamCarter
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 8th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    MrJones1
    Great that you found a solution at last
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 8th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I've run CCleaner and Revo. With Revo it's not showing any Chrome related entries. Although I haven't seen an 'advanced' section ...

Can't see anything relevant in the Event Viewer

It is after you choose uninstall, the last option

Try again, you need to install it then uninstall with that option
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,942Posts Today

8,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin