Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jjamestyu
    • By jjamestyu 8th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jjamestyu
    Any debit cards with avios / airmiles / other rewards ?
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    Any debit cards with avios / airmiles / other rewards ? 8th Jul 17 at 4:03 PM
    Are there any debit cards (with or without yearly fee) available that offer avios / airmiles / other rewards ?

I guess the options would be limited as the reason credit cards can offer these things is becuase they charge a higher fee. But wondered if there where any debit cards that offered these things also as you cant spend credit cards everywhere.
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 8th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 6,997 Posts
    • 8,604 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:09 PM
    Tesco pay clubcard points against debit card spend. Those can be converted to Avios. Earning rate is very low.

TSB have their contactless offer paying cold hard cash.

Your AMEX credit cards will tend to give you a lot more.
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 9th Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    • 1,550 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    Are there any debit cards (with or without yearly fee) available that offer avios / airmiles / other rewards ?

I guess the options would be limited as the reason credit cards can offer these things is becuase they charge a higher fee. But wondered if there where any debit cards that offered these things also as you cant spend credit cards everywhere.
    Originally posted by jjamestyu
    As Peacefulwaters states, and it's the only one I'm aware of too, Tesco Bank offer a debit card, 1x clubcard point on every full £8 spent (£7.99=0 points, £15.99=1 point, etc.), with 1 point/£4 in Tesco or something similar, 1 clubcard point being 2.4 Avios, convertible in 250 point blocks.

Your assumption is correct, interchange fees on credit cards are a percentage (now capped at 0.3%, as per EU rules, which in itself it hitting rewards), debit cards I believe are a fixed amount of x pence.

However, I can't think of anywhere a debit card can be used where a credit card can't now - Aldi/Lidl used to be a special case, but even they accept credit cards now (or the one where I lived did, before I left the UK). The only other situations is where you're paying off a credit card - unfortunately even Tesco have this covered, and don't pay out clubcard points on financial transactions, according to their T&Cs (though I've never had a Tesco current account, so can't confirm/deny this personally).
    • msallen
    • By msallen 9th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    • 527 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    msallen
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    However, I can't think of anywhere a debit card can be used where a credit card can't now ...
    Originally posted by guesswho2000
    But there are places that will charge you to use a credit card but not a debit card (booking flights at ba.com springs to mind)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

1,663Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin