Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Magdalena88
    • By Magdalena88 8th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Magdalena88
    ACE.co.uk giviing me the run-around, what are my rights?
    • 8th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    ACE.co.uk giviing me the run-around, what are my rights? 8th Jul 17 at 2:33 PM
    Hello, I am new here.

I bought a 4-in-1 air conditioner from Ace (credit - then pay later thing, like an argos card). I bought it on 22/06/17 and contacted them to return 2 days after it arrived. I got home late fro work the day it was here so didn't open it until the next day. The day after I contacted them.

It arrived and works but does not cool my small room at all even with the ice packs in as it says in the manual and on full power. I contacted them, said it does NOT do what is described online as a 4-in-1 air conditioner/ cooler and they accepted to return it and cancelled the extended warranty I took out at the same time. They then arranged collection for the next working day.

No one turned up.
    I contacted them via email (and have kept all emails) and they rearranged collection.
    No one turned up.
    I emailed them again and again they rearranged collection.
    No one turned up.
    I called them and they rearranged collection
    No one turned up.

I have just gotten off the phone with them again as well as messaging their page on Facebook and they say they will contact me with an explanation from the courier, why it hasn't been collected and rearranged collection for Monday.

Isn't there some consumer rights protection here? I will end up having to make payments on the credit plan unless they actually come and get the damn thing soon - maybe that's why they're doing this?!

My stepfather says after a while if they don't collect it I am entitled to a refund (so in this case they have to put my credit balance back to zero) and to keep it - then I could sell it as I don't want the damn thing.

Can anyone help me?!

Thank you.
    Last edited by Magdalena88; 08-07-2017 at 2:45 PM.
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 18,642 Posts
    • 15,516 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    Hello, I am new here.

I bought a 4-in-1 air conditioner from Ace (credit - then pay later thing, like an argos card). I bought it on 22/06/17 and contacted them to return 2 days after it arrived. I got home late fro work the day it was here so didn't open it until the next day. The day after I contacted them.

It arrived and works but does not cool my small room at all even with the ice packs in as it says in the manual and on full power. I contacted them, said it does NOT do what is described online as a 4-in-1 air conditioner/ cooler and they accepted to return it and cancelled the extended warranty I took out at the same time. They then arranged collection for the next working day.

No one turned up.
    I contacted them via email (and have kept all emails) and they rearranged collection.
    No one turned up.
    I emailed them again and again they rearranged collection.
    No one turned up.
    I called them and they rearranged collection
    No one turned up.

I have just gotten off the phone with them again as well as messaging their page on Facebook and they say they will contact me with an explanation from the courier, why it hasn't been collected and rearranged collection for Monday.

Isn't there some consumer rights protection here? I will end up having to make payments on the credit plan unless they actually come and get the damn thing soon - maybe that's why they're doing this?!

My stepfather says after a while if they don't collect it I am entitled to a refund (so in this case they have to put my credit balance back to zero) and to keep it - then I could sell it as I don't want the damn thing.

Can anyone help me?!

Thank you.
    Originally posted by Magdalena88
    Your stepfather is right - after a while you can keep it and sell it if you wish.

I'm not sure what your stepfather meant by 'after a while', but my understanding is that the seller can look to you for the goods or the value of the goods for up to six years.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 8th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 4,292 Posts
    • 4,507 Thanks
    societys child
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    . . . I don't want the !!!! thing
    Calm down Mags, and look after it carefully for 6 years, then you can do what you want with it.

• Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 8th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,613 Posts
    • 1,572 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    Regarding the credit plan. Contact the credit company to tell them that you have rejected the goods and you have no with to pay for them.

Regarding the goods. They never really become yours, but if they don't do anything for 6 years, then there's nothing they can do to claim them back. There is a process whereby you can sell the goods and keep hold of the money. But they have up to 6 years to claim that money.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin