Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mimic02
    • By Mimic02 8th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mimic02
    Faulty Suite - Refund or Replace ?
    • 8th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    Faulty Suite - Refund or Replace ? 8th Jul 17 at 1:38 PM
    Hi there.

We purchased a 3-piece suite from a local retailer about 5 months ago and paid the deposit via credit card, with the balance settled by Debit Card when the suite was delivered some 15 weeks later.

When the suite was delivered we immediately noticed a number of issues with it. These included misalignment of the seats on the sofa and excessive 'give' in the seats. We stopped using the suite immediately and contacted the retailer within 3 weeks of delivery and raised these issues with them. The retailer arranged for a service agent to visit our property to inspect the suite. Because of work commitments and the fact that the service rep could only attend on one day of the week, we could not arrange a suitable time for about five weeks.

When the service rep attended, he immediately confirmed that the reported issues were valid faults and said that he would report this back to the retailer. I was then contacted by the retailer who advised that since we reported the issue within 30 days of the original delivery date, they were happy to replace the entire suite.

The queries that I have are as follows:

(1) Do I have to accept a replacement, or can I demand a refund?

(2) The manufacturer will only replace the suite with one with identical specifications. We're concerned that any replacement item will possess the same design/construction flaws as the original suite. We have looked at other models in the range and on the face of it other models do not have the same issue. Can we demand that the replacement is a different model to the original (assuming that we were to pay any price difference) ?

Any replacement will not be delivered for a further 15 weeks.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 9,599 Posts
    • 10,759 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    As you reported the faults within 30 days (and these faults have been accepted as valid) then you have the legal right to reject the suite and get a full refund.
    This is covered by section 22 (short term right of rejection) of the consumer rights act.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/22/enacted
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 4,825 Posts
    • 5,265 Thanks
    societys child
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:23 AM
    Can we demand that the replacement is a different model to the original (assuming that we were to pay any price difference) ?
    Of course, you could try asking . . .

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,500Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin