Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 8th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 736Posts
    • 89Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Ex girlfriend's bank statements still coming through the letter box?
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    Ex girlfriend's bank statements still coming through the letter box? 8th Jul 17 at 12:55 PM
    Apologises if this is the wrong section:

My ex girlfriend banks with TSB and was living with me for just over a year until we broke up very early on this year. Since then there's been numerous bank statements still coming through, and that's because she can't be bothered to change her address!

I messaged her many times telling her to change her address with her bank, but she claimed she'd do it, but also didn't want to as she was under the impression she'd be moving out and changing addresses again after a few months. Now it's six months after she's moved out and her statements are still coming through.

I've stopped giving them to her whenever I see her, instead I've been sending them back to the return address saying "Not at this address". But I've been doing this for about three months now and the statements are still coming through. Most of the reason we broke up in the first place was because she had this lazy, can't be bothered kind of attitude.

Another one just came through that I've sent back, but I just have a feeling that another one will come through the letterbox shortly.

Am I better off contacting TSB myself? What is my best course of action here? Because even if I message her to change things, she still won't
Page 3
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 10th Jul 17, 12:14 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Had a similar instance when moving into new house;the previous owners hadn't told one of their banks of their move -we returned statements etc for ~ 3 or 4 months marked "gone away,no longer living here" without success.
    In the end I just burnt everything and after a period of more than a year ,the stuff stopped coming. I blamed the bank but reading this thread, maybe I should have blamed Royal Mail!!
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I'm not overly fussy about the letters, I'd gladly shred them, burn them or whatever. I mean yeah I don't really want to see her name or be reminded of her, but the thing that bothers me is that I don't want her using this address anymore to then maybe apply for loans, credit cards.

I mean she was always talking of saving up for a new laptop, and she wanted the best, most expensive ones so she could game on it, so they're well over £1000 and she wanted to finance one. Again, I wouldn't want her using this address for that.

I don't think she's allowed finance though. She wasn't a native to the UK and so she won't really have a credit report
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    eskbanker
    the thing that bothers me is that I don't want her using this address anymore to then maybe apply for loans, credit cards.

I mean she was always talking of saving up for a new laptop, and she wanted the best, most expensive ones so she could game on it, so they're well over £1000 and she wanted to finance one. Again, I wouldn't want her using this address for that.
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    As pointed out in post #3, "Sharing an address does not create a financial link", so, while your desire to tidy things up may be understandable, it's not actually an issue in terms of impact on you and your finances.

I don't think she's allowed finance though. She wasn't a native to the UK and so she won't really have a credit report
    If she has a bank account with TSB, what gives you the impression that she wouldn't have a credit file and/or access to other financial products and services?
    • Lith
    • By Lith 10th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lith
    So, er, they don't have to be written in red for a successful RTS.

It just makes life easy for you if they are!

Glad that's cleared up and that RM's online advice is perfectly accurate.
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    If they're not in red, they're put on the *back bench* waiting.

they'll get through in the end but like i said lol..

So I take it RM no longer use blue crayons?
    I know the answer but feel free to educate me on how these blue crayons fit in your RTS process.
    I note you you wrote MC member,not worker. IME this is very true of many MC staff.
    All rules and why stuff cant be done instead of actually getting on with getting mail into peoples hands.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Yea we use felt pens and crayons we haven't advanced much.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Jul 17, 3:38 PM
    • 32,328 Posts
    • 27,085 Thanks
    custardy
    If they're not in red, they're put on the *back bench* waiting.

they'll get through in the end but like i said lol..

Yea we use felt pens and crayons we haven't advanced much.
    Originally posted by Lith
    why are they blue then? Given red is apparently the official colour.
    • Lith
    • By Lith 10th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lith
    why are they blue then? Given red is apparently the official colour.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Who knows lol,

all i know is RTS are marked in red (ones that are a diff colour? get put on a waiting list somewhere before processed)
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 32,328 Posts
    • 27,085 Thanks
    custardy
    As I said. Mail centres,all rules and not getting on with the job (which should be) in hand.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 10th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    As pointed out in post #3, "Sharing an address does not create a financial link", so, while your desire to tidy things up may be understandable, it's not actually an issue in terms of impact on you and your finances.

If she has a bank account with TSB, what gives you the impression that she wouldn't have a credit file and/or access to other financial products and services?
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    It was a very basic account as far as I remember. Like I know there's certain banks and accounts that run a credit search but then there's basic accounts for those with next to no credit reports, it's one of them as far as I know.

I know that will generate a report for her, but she's only had the account around 18 months so I can imagine even if she does have a credit file, it'll be a very low score as there'd be hardly any history there
    • firely2327
    • By firely2327 10th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    firely2327
    [QUOTE=eskbanker;72816534]As pointed out in post #3, "Sharing an address does not create a financial link", so, while your desire to tidy things up may be understandable, it's not actually an issue in terms of impact on you and your finances.

QUOTE]

Maybe not, but personally, on principle, I'd try and stop anyone else using my address. What if you end up with bailiffs knocking on your door. More hassle than it's worth trying to explain it to them. Previous owners of my property applied for a new credit card and new phone contract using my address nearly a year after I bought the place and about two weeks apart. Envelopes were marked with company name and, not having had mail from these companies in their name arriving here in the first year (other companies yes, but not these companies). First came the phone one, which I put in the recycle bin, then the bank one. There was an obvious feel of a card in there so I opened it, saw that it was a new account, so fished out the phone one and saw it was a new account too. Contacted both companies directly and the bank tel number, written on the card, directed me to an automated system. I put in the code on the letter so that I could be directed to the right service and when I did was told that the card was now activated, goodbye! So armed with a validated credit card with £2500 limit I promptly went to the local police station and explained to them. It took them 45 mins to get through to an actual person on the banking system. Bank said the previous owners had committed fraud by using my address, as did the phone company the next day.

It's in nobody's best interest to use an address they no longer should.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    eskbanker
    But to a certain extent that proves my point - if you hadn't opened up the correspondence then you'd have been none the wiser, with no hassle and, more importantly, no impact on your credit files, etc.

If you'd followed the recommended practice of returning the letters to the senders (rather than either binning or opening them) then it would have been in the bank's and the phone company's hands to sort out, unless of course the letters didn't make it past obstructive (or perhaps colour-blind) Royal Mail employees

If a dispute/debt ultimately arose in the event of returned letters not making it all the way through to the senders, you'd become well aware of it long before any bailiffs got involved!

Don't get me wrong, as I said I do agree that it's worth trying to tidy things up but only in the right way and for the right reason....
    • colsten
    • By colsten 11th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 8,676 Posts
    • 7,319 Thanks
    colsten
    She wasn't a native to the UK and so she won't really have a credit report
    Many people living in the UK aren't 'natives' (however you may define that), yet still have records with credit reference agencies. CRAs don't distinguish by nationality or country of birth, and nobody gets born with a CRA record, not even British citizens.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 11th Jul 17, 9:22 AM
    • 3,683 Posts
    • 2,357 Thanks
    alanq
    Having someone use ones address could cause other complications. e.g. If there is only one resident then a reduced amount of Council Tax is due. The Council may use Credit Reference Agency information to verify the number of residents.

"Applications for discounts will be verified and subject to periodic review. The council may use third party organisations to carry out such checks using financial and credit referencing information."

http://www.northampton.gov.uk/info/200028/council-tax/106/council-tax-discounts/2
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Eco Miser
    • By Eco Miser 11th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,941 Posts
    • 2,725 Thanks
    Eco Miser
    If a dispute/debt ultimately arose in the event of returned letters not making it all the way through to the senders, you'd become well aware of it long before any bailiffs got involved!
    How, if all letters are being returned unopened?
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    eskbanker
    How, if all letters are being returned unopened?
    Originally posted by Eco Miser
    I was meaning that the number of letters would increase and they'd presumably start to be labelled as 'final demand' (or something similarly heavy) and/or be sent via recorded delivery.

I may be wrong - I can't speak from experience and am happy to keep it that way - but just find it hard to believe that the first time that someone would be aware of an escalated dispute would be an unannounced visit from a bailiff.

So, in the situation described by the poster I was replying to, I'd still be keen to do everything by the book and return to sender rather than getting involved by opening mail....
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 11th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,708 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I was meaning that the number of letters would increase and they'd presumably start to be labelled as 'final demand' (or something similarly heavy) and/or be sent via recorded delivery.

I may be wrong - I can't speak from experience and am happy to keep it that way - but just find it hard to believe that the first time that someone would be aware of an escalated dispute would be an unannounced visit from a bailiff.
    I can confirm what eskbanker says from experience.

The following items were all returned to sender, clearly marked that the addressee had moved away:- about two years worth of standard monthly statements, some (replacement?) cards, more frequent letters from the bank, very frequent letters from debt collection agencies, a letter from the local court, a second letter from the local court.

On receiving the second court letter a phone call confirmed the correspondence related to a CCJ and in due course bailiffs might come knocking. The court official noted that the person involved didn't live there anymore and said further enquiries would be made. No more was heard on the matter.

Most of those steps were repeated with half a dozen other banks. Barclaycard are still in the monthly statement phase of the process - nearly four years after their customer left the country.

There has never been a knock on the door... unless they visited and didn't leave a 'sorry we missed you' note.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 12th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Many people living in the UK aren't 'natives' (however you may define that), yet still have records with credit reference agencies. CRAs don't distinguish by nationality or country of birth, and nobody gets born with a CRA record, not even British citizens.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Then that's my bad. Although I know we aren't born with one and we earn it as such, through creating a history with a bank and kind of showing them you can manage credit well I suppose.

I've lived where I live now for most of my life, but I know when it comes to lenders, they'll only really see how long I've been on the electoral role once I turned 18 and see how long I've lived at my address accordingly, which I'm 21 in a few weeks so three years is a good length. And I've got credit cards, a phone contract, large overdraft. I've never missed a payment for any of these, and my score got updated the other day and I'm nearly at 999 - excellent. Only issues I've ever had over the years is too many searches when I've switched current accounts/credit providers.

Anyway, my point is that I know being with a British bank, she will have a credit report from the day she opened it pretty much. But there'll only be a bank there, no credit, no overdraft, just a simple current account, she won't be on the electoral role and things like that so her credit score will be fairly low. I know the score as such doesn't matter but there's barely any history on her account, that's what I was getting at
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 6,722 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I'm nearly at 999 - excellent
    You have been around these boards long enough to know not to give a flying funicular about your random number ...
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 12th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 2,986 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    You have been around these boards long enough to know not to give a flying funicular about your random number ...
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    They should know full well that my random numbers are just as accurate and much cheaper.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 12th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 5,318 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I'm nearly at 999 - excellent
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    To be fair, OP may have meant "999 - [which Experian label as] excellent", rather than "999 - [which I think is] excellent", especially in light of the later comment:
    I know the score as such doesn't matter
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 12th Jul 17, 7:11 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    To be fair, OP may have meant "999 - [which Experian label as] excellent", rather than "999 - [which I think is] excellent", especially in light of the later comment:
    Yeah that is how I meant it, they mark it from red to green. The highest green being Excellen.

I know the number itself doesn't matter though, it's more what is on your report that counts. Although I still do like to see the number as it is a slight indication of how well things are going
    Last edited by Jlawson118; 12-07-2017 at 7:15 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,539Posts Today

5,607Users online

Martin's Twitter