Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 8th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    • 728Posts
    • 88Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Ex girlfriend's bank statements still coming through the letter box?
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:55 PM
    Ex girlfriend's bank statements still coming through the letter box? 8th Jul 17 at 12:55 PM
    Apologises if this is the wrong section:

My ex girlfriend banks with TSB and was living with me for just over a year until we broke up very early on this year. Since then there's been numerous bank statements still coming through, and that's because she can't be bothered to change her address!

I messaged her many times telling her to change her address with her bank, but she claimed she'd do it, but also didn't want to as she was under the impression she'd be moving out and changing addresses again after a few months. Now it's six months after she's moved out and her statements are still coming through.

I've stopped giving them to her whenever I see her, instead I've been sending them back to the return address saying "Not at this address". But I've been doing this for about three months now and the statements are still coming through. Most of the reason we broke up in the first place was because she had this lazy, can't be bothered kind of attitude.

Another one just came through that I've sent back, but I just have a feeling that another one will come through the letterbox shortly.

Am I better off contacting TSB myself? What is my best course of action here? Because even if I message her to change things, she still won't
Page 2
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 9th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 5,154 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

if you want to be nasty, you could wait until you get her new bank/credit card and hit it, she'll soon come running then.
    Y'all take care now.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 9th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 8,670 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    colsten
    Hi,

if you want to be nasty, you could wait until you get her new bank/credit card and hit it, she'll soon come running then.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Why would you recommend fraud?
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 9th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 5,970 Posts
    • 5,154 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

Why would you recommend fraud?
    Originally posted by colsten
    sorry, I'm not recommending fraud, it was meant as a lesson to the ex, let her see how easy it would be if cards fell into the wrong hands.

She must trust ex or she would've had things sorted by now.
    Y'all take care now.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 5,262 Posts
    • 5,014 Thanks
    eskbanker
    You obvious don't work at Royal Mail as all RTS have to be written in red for a successful send to the return address.
    Originally posted by Lith
    ....which begs the question of why they don't consider it necessary to mention this in their online help:
    I've received someone else's mail

It's my address but someone else's name
    We deliver to addresses rather than names so our advice here would be to put a cross through the address and write on the item 'Not known at this address' or, 'No longer lives here' and post the item at your convenience - you won't need to apply any postage.Where applicable we will return the item to the sender hopefully allowing them to update their records.
    • Lith
    • By Lith 9th Jul 17, 7:17 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lith
    ....which begs the question of why they don't consider it necessary to mention this in their online help:
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Good Point, but like i said you don't work for RM do ya? i know what i have to deal with every day in RTS letters.

They seriously need to edit that on the site.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Jul 17, 7:40 PM
    • 5,262 Posts
    • 5,014 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Good Point, but like i said you don't work for RM do ya? i know what i have to deal with every day in RTS letters.
    So when you say "all RTS have to be written in red for a successful send to the return address", are you saying that those written in other colours are actually treated differently? This is conjuring up a priceless mental image of someone sifting through a pile of letters and splitting ones with red writing from those with other colours (and binning the latter?!) - I know that lumbering ex-nationalised monopolies aren't exactly renowned for efficient practices but that really would take the biscuit....
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 32,313 Posts
    • 27,074 Thanks
    custardy
    You obvious don't work at Royal Mail as all RTS have to be written in red for a successful send to the return address.

Then royal mail adds the red sticker to them and sends them to the *IMP* (Machine)

so what do you know? (OHHH THE IRONY)
    Sorry,what utter rollocks.
    Typical MC staff.
    • scott_lithgows
    • By scott_lithgows 9th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,335 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    scott_lithgows
    Put "gone away" on it and post it back into a post box.
    If it,s a cashcard account and a replacement card comes thro the letterbox,simply burn this item instead of returning it.
    When the ex can't get at their cash they will soon get it sorted.
    I have a deep burning indifference
    • Lith
    • By Lith 10th Jul 17, 3:05 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lith
    So when you say "all RTS have to be written in red for a successful send to the return address", are you saying that those written in other colours are actually treated differently? This is conjuring up a priceless mental image of someone sifting through a pile of letters and splitting ones with red writing from those with other colours (and binning the latter?!) - I know that lumbering ex-nationalised monopolies aren't exactly renowned for efficient practices but that really would take the biscuit....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Policy,

even the ones in diff colour are still labeled via red marker and red stickers.

Just the ones that are in red make life easy to process.

Sorry,what utter rollocks.
    Typical MC staff.
    Originally posted by custardy
    B0ll0cks eh? yea you keep saying that

Typical MC Member
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 10th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 3,601 Thanks
    Zanderman
    ... all RTS have to be written in red for a successful send to the return address.
    ...even the ones in diff colour are still labeled via red marker and red stickers. Just the ones that are in red make life easy to process.
    So, er, they don't have to be written in red for a successful RTS.

It just makes life easy for you if they are!

Glad that's cleared up and that RM's online advice is perfectly accurate.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 10th Jul 17, 7:49 AM
    • 32,313 Posts
    • 27,074 Thanks
    custardy
    Policy,

even the ones in diff colour are still labeled via red marker and red stickers.

Just the ones that are in red make life easy to process.

B0ll0cks eh? yea you keep saying that

Typical MC Member
    So I take it RM no longer use blue crayons?
    I know the answer but feel free to educate me on how these blue crayons fit in your RTS process.
    I note you you wrote MC member,not worker. IME this is very true of many MC staff.
    All rules and why stuff cant be done instead of actually getting on with getting mail into peoples hands.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 4,388 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Had a similar instance when moving into new house;the previous owners hadn't told one of their banks of their move -we returned statements etc for ~ 3 or 4 months marked "gone away,no longer living here" without success.
    In the end I just burnt everything and after a period of more than a year ,the stuff stopped coming. I blamed the bank but reading this thread, maybe I should have blamed Royal Mail!!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 5,262 Posts
    • 5,014 Thanks
    eskbanker

Originally posted by Zanderman
    Next they'll be trying to tell us the cats aren't allowed to be black and white either....
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 10th Jul 17, 10:01 AM
    • 11,525 Posts
    • 7,791 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    It's a bit harsh but yes, I'd call them. They may even stop her being allowed to make transactions on her account temporarily, which I think may prompt her to do something about it! You also don't want her financially linked to you if you own your property, as she could be in a lot of debt and this may affect your credit score.
    Originally posted by ambroze
    Don't waste your time: they won't discuss her with you.
    • Casperthefriendlyghost
    • By Casperthefriendlyghost 10th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 3,997 Thanks
    Casperthefriendlyghost
    That's what he has been doing and it hasn't worked !!!!
    Originally posted by RADDERS
    I've been doing this for 4 years and HSBC letters and a new card for my ex husband, who has never lived at this address and has now moved out of the country, is still being delivered to my house every month! I've simply given up and thrown them in the bin. HSBC said they have my address on file so sent it to me. I've been promised repeatedly that this would stop, even had emails from my ex-husband from HSBC apologising but 4 years on it's still happening.

CTFG XX
    LBM Feb 09 £64 427.32 £26 996.59! Sub £30 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Aug - 30Aug £32.00 SSF £08.53
    NSD 03/15 WSC (10-16) £05 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
    • Casperthefriendlyghost
    • By Casperthefriendlyghost 10th Jul 17, 10:09 AM
    • 943 Posts
    • 3,997 Thanks
    Casperthefriendlyghost
    ^-- no need for the song and dance/Drama

This is what you should do.

Get a red pen and write on it (perm marker maybe? make sure its red)

(RTS - RETURN TO SENDER) - DOES NOT LIVE HERE - SHE HAS MOVED

keep doing it, and in the end it will stop and she'll get a block on her account for being a lazy b!tch for simply not changing her address.

That's what i did and it was a major success.
    I tried that too, I even gave them his new address on the same letter and it didn't help either.
    LBM Feb 09 £64 427.32 £26 996.59! Sub £30 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Aug - 30Aug £32.00 SSF £08.53
    NSD 03/15 WSC (10-16) £05 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
    • Frogletina
    • By Frogletina 10th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 2,859 Posts
    • 10,328 Thanks
    Frogletina
    I once kept getting lots of post for a previous occupier of my house and was fed up of returning it.

There were a lot of A4 envelopes arriving which at one time I taped together with a return to sender, but the company sent them back again.

Finally I opened one of the envelopes, and amongst all of the documents, including share certificates and correspondence, was a letter from the customer advising the company of their move and their forwarding address!

frogletina
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first

SPC 8 #441 £1567.31 SPC 9 #441 £1014.64
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 10th Jul 17, 11:32 AM
    • 954 Posts
    • 901 Thanks
    gingercordial
    Sending them back marked "not known at this address" should eventually get TSB to put a stop on her account.

I had the opposite problem when I moved house two years ago. Took my new council tax bill into a Halifax branch and asked them to change it (you can't do this yourself on their systems). The clerk mistyped "Flat 28" as "Flat 2". Of course the residents of Flat 2 sent my next credit card statement back as "unknown at this address". The first I knew of it was when my credit card was declined, unhelpfully when I was on holiday; of course I assumed it was because I'd tried to use it abroad (though I'd informed them in advance) but it lead to much confusion when I couldn't pass their security checks on the phone because I was giving the "wrong" address. I never did get them to remove my one month "residence" at Flat 2 from my credit history.

I wish they'd been a bit less efficient at responding to a statement returned "unknown", but it does get the account holder's attention.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 10th Jul 17, 12:04 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    I once kept getting lots of post for a previous occupier of my house and was fed up of returning it.

There were a lot of A4 envelopes arriving which at one time I taped together with a return to sender, but the company sent them back again.

Finally I opened one of the envelopes, and amongst all of the documents, including share certificates and correspondence, was a letter from the customer advising the company of their move and their forwarding address!

frogletina
    Originally posted by Frogletina
    I remember when we first moved into this house I'd say about 15/16 years ago or something, the previous tenant's letters kept coming through and my mum opened them one day and they were wanting thousands of pounds worth of debt.

After she kept sending them back saying "Not at this address" they didn't get the message, but this lady worked in the local CoOp and my mum slammed a pile of these letters on the checkout and demanded she sorted her debts out, in front of everyone.

I don't think we had many more after that
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 10th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    Jlawson118

Originally posted by Zanderman
    So I take it RM no longer use blue crayons?
    I know the answer but feel free to educate me on how these blue crayons fit in your RTS process.
    I note you you wrote MC member,not worker. IME this is very true of many MC staff.
    All rules and why stuff cant be done instead of actually getting on with getting mail into peoples hands.
    Originally posted by custardy

Then royal mail adds the red sticker to them and sends them to the *IMP* (Machine)

so what do you know? (OHHH THE IRONY)
    As a matter of fact, I was Christmas temp at Royal Mail and if ever I did overtime, usually I was on the letter returns and I can't say I ever saw a single letter marked in red. Usually they just had the original recipients' address crossed/scribbled out, and the return address circled or just a sign saying RTS.

I don't really think the colour matters
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,976Posts Today

8,059Users online

Martin's Twitter