Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • First time buyer lauren
    • By First time buyer lauren 8th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    First time buyer lauren
    Vw auto hold fault - do I have rights?
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    Vw auto hold fault - do I have rights? 8th Jul 17 at 11:43 AM
    Hi,

I bought an ex demo Mk 2 Tiguan around 10 - 11 months ago, after 2 weeks it developed a fault with the auto hold which when trying to move off from stationary sticks and either won't budge or sticks for a few seconds and shoots off which obviously is dangerous. It's been in my local Vw branch over 7 times for the same fault, each time they've said they can't see anything wrong with it, fast forward a couple of months and the car hasn't been TOO bad a little bit of sticking every so often but nothing as major as it had been. until I booked it in for a service... there's been a recall on the auto hold (a software update) I collected my car yesterday feeling relieved that the problem was sorted out, I drove out of the car park and it was worse than ever! Ive literally had enough of it and am at the point where I want to hand the car back! I've been informed by a family member who works for part of the Vw group that there is no fix for the problem and all they can do is keep fobbing me off.
    The garage I bought the car from is quite a way away, around an hour drive there and back and I don't feel comfortable driving there. I've lost all confidence in the car and don't want to risk a drive that far with a problem with the breaks especially with two little ones in tow.
    Does anyone have any advice please?
Page 2
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    depress the clutch pedal all the way to the floor
    Some manual gearbox cars have a starter motor inhibit, based on the clutch not being depressed ; which similarly means "to the floor", to ensure there is no mechanical connection.

The clutch position for permitting drive-away brake release, will probably be based on a switch. If that switch does nothing else, an intermittent failure would have no other symptom. If it is working as designed, clutch pedal to the floor is the necessary workaround, which the OP will probably have to live with until they change vehicle, and brand.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 12th Jul 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    clutch pedal to the floor is the necessary workaround
    If it is, someone clever could put on a small warning lamp to say they pushed it far enough.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

4,297Users online

Martin's Twitter