Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • julieq58
    • By julieq58 8th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    julieq58
    standing order
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    standing order 8th Jul 17 at 11:00 AM
    I have been paying a standing order without paying attention for over 12 years. Stupid I know. I recently changed banks and cancelled it thinking that although I couldnt find details to restart it they would contact me, they havent and Im now thinking I should have stopped it long ago. My bank cant help I have no paperwork and the only info I have are the sort code and accoubt number it was paid to 20-12-05 / 98210039. Can anybody tell me who or what these details belong to . Thanks in hope. !
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 12,519 Posts
    • 12,687 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    A quick Google suggests it's the risks ops division of Barclays.

Do you owe them anything?
    • datlex
    • By datlex 8th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,280 Posts
    • 1,078 Thanks
    datlex
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    Do you have a Barclaycard or previous debt with Barclays? Sort code 20-12-05 relates to this: BARCLAYS BANK PLC, Manchester, RISK OPERATIONS CENTRE P.O. Box 345, Astley Byrom House, Quay St., Lancashire, M60 1LR, Phone: (870) 1541006, Manchester. They may be able to identify the account holder.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 17,907 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    It's very unlikely that any customer accounts would be held at such a sortcode, and a 98 prefix account in my experience is likely to be owned by the bank. zx81's question seems pertinent, although why anyone would make a payment for 12 years without knowing who it's going to defies comprehension.
    • julieq58
    • By julieq58 8th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julieq58
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    We did have but has been settled as they kept our ppi refund !
    • julieq58
    • By julieq58 8th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julieq58
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    I thought ut was for a ccj of my husbands and that they would have stopped claiming it if it was paid however a check with courts says he hasnt got one, I already know ive been stupid but thanks for reminding me.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 8th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    ... although why anyone would make a payment for 12 years without knowing who it's going to defies comprehension.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Julieq58 has already acknowledged her carelessness in the original post so what is the point in this disparaging comment?

17,000 posts and 13,000 thanks earns my respect but gratuitous comments like this are beyond my comprehension.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 8th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 23,837 Posts
    • 11,040 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    Julieq58 has already acknowledged her carelessness in the original post so what is the point in this disparaging comment?

17,000 posts and 13,000 thanks earns my respect but gratuitous comments like this are beyond my comprehension.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    I disagree!
    Sometimes a person needs to be told that they are with the fairies because otherwise how would they know?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 8th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    I disagree!
    Sometimes a person needs to be told that they are with the fairies because otherwise how would they know?
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    I disagree. If I had already said I was stupid this means that I know I was stupid so telling me again is unnecessary.

Whilst writing this I realise that I am being a bit stupid because I will never win this pointless argument.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 8th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 1,591 Thanks
    robin58
    I disagree!
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    Well personally I think anybody who follows any football team is with the fairies. So you now know.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • mt99
    • By mt99 8th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    mt99
    well i don't think you are stupid but what I do think is that you should contact the bank and ask them to let you know what the payments were for as you are a likely to get any definitive answer in this forum
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 17,907 Posts
    • 13,582 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I thought ut was for a ccj of my husbands and that they would have stopped claiming it if it was paid however a check with courts says he hasnt got one...
    Originally posted by julieq58
    The payee doesn't stop a Standing Order, that has to be done by the payer. So it may well be something that should have been paid for a set time but has carried on because the SO wasn't cancelled by you.If, as we suspect, it was a payment to Barclays themselves then there is a pretty good chance that if you explain you'll get at least some of the money back.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 9th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 213 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    RG2015
    The payee doesn't stop a Standing Order, that has to be done by the payer. So it may well be something that should have been paid for a set time but has carried on because the SO wasn't cancelled by you.If, as we suspect, it was a payment to Barclays themselves then there is a pretty good chance that if you explain you'll get at least some of the money back.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    This raises a very interesting point and all the better if it results in a repayment for the OP.

Does the payee have any responsibility, duty or obligation if they are overpaid by a forgotten standing order?

If I was paid £10 per month for 10 years that I knew I was not entitled to I am sure that I would be in trouble.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 22,015 Posts
    • 12,698 Thanks
    xylophone
    In the OP's position, I would contact Barclays to see whether there is a possibility of a refund.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 4,768 Thanks
    eskbanker
    In the OP's position, I would contact Barclays to see whether there is a possibility of a refund.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Given OP's lack of memory or records about this, it's not actually clear whether or not she and/or husband have overpaid or underpaid, so I'd go a bit further and suggest that they could both benefit from submitting separate Subject Access Requests to Barclays under the Data Protection Act to get to grips with the full story of debts, CCJs, PPI, standing orders, etc....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

907Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin