Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SmithfieldPartDeux
    • By SmithfieldPartDeux 8th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 60Posts
    • 54Thanks
    SmithfieldPartDeux
    Searches?
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    Searches? 8th Jul 17 at 10:56 AM
    Can anyone help with timescales?

I'm buying a property owned by a bank that was repossessed from a developer and I live in a rental atm.

Mortgage offer done, so with solicitors to do searches and get land registry map etc, before I can sign contract?

Can anyone give me an approx timescale this usually takes? Weeks?
Page 1
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 8th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 1,221 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    It could probably be done by you within a day, most information is online now.

It just depends on how quickly your solicitor does it, nobody can guess that.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 8th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 582 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    I handed over £300 for the searches on Friday
    • SmithfieldPartDeux
    • By SmithfieldPartDeux 8th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    SmithfieldPartDeux
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    All of my legal work is bundled together and is £700!

It's taken from Jan to now to get this far, I just want it sorted and a set of keys in my hands!
    • da_rule
    • By da_rule 8th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 2,226 Thanks
    da_rule
    • 8th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    By searches, do you mean local authority/water searches? If so, some local authorities are running at 4 working days but West Dorset for example is taking 45 working days (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-40198967). The average currently seems to be 2 weeks.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 8th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 41,456 Posts
    • 47,829 Thanks
    G_M
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    I asume 'mortgage offer done' = the Valuation i completed and the offer is confimed. Or do you mean you've submitted your application?

If the former, why did you not get the searches /legals strated earlier?
    If the latter, then you've got an additional step to be completed (or rejected).

Searches can take a few days or few weeks. Are you DIYing your conveyancing? If so, stop, as your Qs suggest you shouldn' be. If you're using a conveyancer, ask him (sorry David - or 'her') about likely timescales as he (she)'ll know the specific circumstances. we don't.

And there are all sorts of other factors that could delay things.

As for signing the contract, that can be done today if the seller (or their conveyancer) has sent it, and it's correct.

But Exchanging Contracts is a different matter.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,843Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin