Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 8th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    • 5,426Posts
    • 9,572Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    0 WOW
    Travel Insurance - am i covered in case of scam?
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:41 AM
    0 WOW
    Travel Insurance - am i covered in case of scam? 8th Jul 17 at 10:41 AM
    Morning all,

Family of 4 and booked a villa direct with the owner. The villa was recommended by a colleague who has stayed there before.

Their villa is advertised on a rental villa website but you can also book direct through their own website - better price so we booked direct.

After payment the villa availability was matched to our booking on their own site and the villa company site, however, the villa has now been taken off the main website.

I have emailed, whatsapped and spoke with the UK owners (facebook stalked too ) who state that this is their last year renting and they are selling up. However, i do have a worry, just in case we get to our destination and we have no accommodation!

As recommended by MSE i have taken out hoiday insurance with Leisure Guard:

Policy and passenger information
    Policy Number: xxxx Lead Insured: xxxx
    Policy Type: Premier
    Address: xxxxx
    Territorial Limits: Whole of Europe xxxx
    Date Issued: xxxx xxxx
    Policy starts: xxxx
    Policy expires: xxxxx
    No. Passengers: 4 Postcode: xxxx
    Payment Total: xxxxxx

Cover Options:
    All Insured
    In the policy it mentions End Supplier Failure, are we covered if the villa is unavailable upon our arrival? And what's the procedure when we are there? Book in to a hotel? Call the insurance company?

We usually book package holidays and so first time booking direct. I'm 99% sure everything is fine, but i always look at worse case and need a contingency plan!
Page 1
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 8th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    Archergirl
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    Might be best to phone Leisure Guard and ask them.......
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 8th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 6,591 Posts
    • 8,097 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:25 AM
    As recommended by MSE i have taken out hoiday insurance with Leisure Guard
    What makes you think MSE made a recommendation?
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 8th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 9,572 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    @archer - i was hoping someone might have first hand experience or advice?

@PW because it's on MSE first page for travel insurance?

This place used to be so friendly at one time.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 8th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 9,363 Posts
    • 5,983 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    Wouldn't have thought travel insurance would cover this.

Did you pay by credit card?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 17,926 Posts
    • 13,598 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    @archer - i was hoping someone might have first hand experience or advice?

@PW because it's on MSE first page for travel insurance?

This place used to be so friendly at one time.
    Originally posted by Ivrytwr3
    The fact that the guide lists it as "Top pick (no frills)" might suggest that there are plenty of exclusions, so your issue may well be one that they wouldn't cover.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    It'll be in the policy somewhere, the website seems to limit the cover to "financial failure" so I'd read the details carefully:
    https://www.leisureguardtravelinsurance.com/docs/_Policy_Wording.pdf
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 8th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 9,572 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    Wouldn't have thought travel insurance would cover this.

Did you pay by credit card?
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Nope, BT!
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 15,188 Posts
    • 10,980 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    Why?................
    You've been on mse long enough.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 8th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Why?................
    You've been on mse long enough.
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Because most private owners don't accept credit cards. I've been booking privately for years and have always paid by bank transfer.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 8th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    End Supplier Failure is for if the supplier fails financially ie becomes insolvent. It doesn't cover for an owner selling the property.
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 8th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 9,572 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    This is the link they sent me regarding the policy:

http://allpwps.insurefor.com/branding/allpwps/docs/LGLiteDirectMSEKF00744.pdf

The query is for the possibility the villa is not available, also we are travelling in a few weeks, the owner is selling up next year.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Jul 17, 8:46 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    EssexExile
    This is the link they sent me regarding the policy:

http://allpwps.insurefor.com/branding/allpwps/docs/LGLiteDirectMSEKF00744.pdf

The query is for the possibility the villa is not available, also we are travelling in a few weeks, the owner is selling up next year.
    That's just a summary, the policy I linked to goes on & on about "insolvency of the end supplier" & says "You must obtain written confirmation from the liquidator that the third party
    supplier has become insolvent".

Read the small print. On the other hand don't panic, what makes you think they'll let you down?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 8th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 9,572 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3

Read the small print. On the other hand don't panic, what makes you think they'll let you down?
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Nothing, just would like to know if this policy would cover such an eventuality.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 9th Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    loskie
    sounds like you are getting in a state over nothing. In your own words you say seller is selling NEXT YEAR. Relax and enjoy your holiday otherwise you may as well stay at home.
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 9th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 9,572 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    i get that - like i said, i have no reason to doubt anything untoward will happen. My query is "what if?".

I am just interested in does travel insurance cover this type of eventuality? What would one should this type of situation arise?

It's all well and good saying "It won't happen, don't worry about it", however, i am sure many others have said the same and failing to plan or prepare has left them in a difficult situation when the worst did actually occur.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 9th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 864 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I am just interested in does travel insurance cover this type of eventuality? What would one should this type of situation arise?
    Supplier failure covers insolvency. That is made quite clear in the Leisure Guard policy wording. An owner selling a property making it unavailable isn't the sort of thing covered by a standard insurance policy. When an owner decides to sell a property if they have bookings they can't honour they refund them. That is all they have to do.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jul 17, 10:47 AM
    • 17,089 Posts
    • 43,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    i get that - like i said, i have no reason to doubt anything untoward will happen. My query is "what if?".

It's all well and good saying "It won't happen, don't worry about it", however, i am sure many others have said the same and failing to plan or prepare has left them in a difficult situation when the worst did actually occur.
    The bit in bold is like asking 'how long is a piece of string'.
    It really depends on what your policy says.

I doubt very much that you'd be covered for the circumstance you are currently worrying about.
    • Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 9th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 9,572 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    Supplier failure covers insolvency. That is made quite clear in the Leisure Guard policy wording. An owner selling a property making it unavailable isn't the sort of thing covered by a standard insurance policy. When an owner decides to sell a property if they have bookings they can't honour they refund them. That is all they have to do.
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    My query is about the villa not being available in a few weeks, not next year ie it is a scam and there is no villa when we arrive - nothing to do with the owners selling the villa.

Also found the link to the full policy:

http://allpwps.insurefor.com/branding/allpwps/docs/LGLiteDirectPW16103.pdf
    Last edited by Ivrytwr3; 09-07-2017 at 1:30 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 17,089 Posts
    • 43,235 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My query is about the villa not being available in a few weeks, not next year ie it is a scam and there is no villa when we arrive - nothing to do with the owners selling the villa.

Also found the link to the full policy:

http://allpwps.insurefor.com/branding/allpwps/docs/LGLiteDirectPW16103.pdf
    Why do you think it's a scam when your friend stayed in the villa and recommended it to you?
    Morning all,

Family of 4 and booked a villa direct with the owner. The villa was recommended by a colleague who has stayed there before.

Their villa is advertised on a rental villa website but you can also book direct through their own website - better price so we booked direct.

After payment the villa availability was matched to our booking on their own site and the villa company site, however, the villa has now been taken off the main website.

I have emailed, whatsapped and spoke with the UK owners (facebook stalked too ) who state that this is their last year renting and they are selling up. However, i do have a worry, just in case we get to our destination and we have no accommodation!

As recommended by MSE i have taken out hoiday insurance with Leisure Guard:

In the policy it mentions End Supplier Failure, are we covered if the villa is unavailable upon our arrival? And what's the procedure when we are there? Book in to a hotel? Call the insurance company?

We usually book package holidays and so first time booking direct. I'm 99% sure everything is fine, but i always look at worse case and need a contingency plan!
    Maybe the villa has been taken off the website because it's fully booked for this season and they are selling the property after the season ends and don't want any confusion with prospective customers.

I really do feel you are panicking unnecessarily.

I've not followed your link to the policy.
    So - are you covered?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

1,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin