Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ingestre14
    • By ingestre14 8th Jul 17, 6:32 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ingestre14
    Halifax Clarity CC being refused by 1 vendor abroad - without even swiping!
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:32 AM
    Halifax Clarity CC being refused by 1 vendor abroad - without even swiping! 8th Jul 17 at 6:32 AM
    Recently returned from a trip abroad (USA) where I was naturally using my Halifax Clarity credit card as much as possible. Unfortunately some vendors were refusing to even swipe the card. It seemed to me to be the the vendors that offered you a choice at checkout as to which currency to charge the card.

Example: I'm at SFO airport International terminal G, and I attempt to buy a bottle of duty free booze. The checkout clerk takes one look at the card and says he's been told not to take that card. Apparantly anything with the big X in the middle is not acceptable. I ask why and am met with a shrug. I present another card and the checkout terminal offers me an exchange rate or local currency.

Am I alone in experiencing this behaviour? Whats the motivation behind this?

I've alerted Halifax customer services to this but I'm not expecting great things. Would be nice to have the option to change the branding on the card to avoid this in future.
Page 1
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 8th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 6,958 Posts
    • 3,206 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    It should be treated exactly as a MasterCard credit card. If a retailer doesn't take Clarity then logically they won't take MasterCard either. Did this only happen once, or in what percentage of outlets? I'd be inclined to make a detailed 'name and shame' list as it does seem suspicious.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 8th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    Westin
    Never had that experience using my Halifax Clarity Card.

Travelled around Europe, the USA, Canada, Caribbean, Middle East, China, Australia - all with the card and no problems.

In the USA they may or may not 'swipe' the card now. Some merchants have the Chip and Pin terminals.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    I suspect that the merchant has realised that Clarity card users never select to be charged in pounds, as many others would do, so they are missing out on the revenue generated by DCC by accepting Clarity.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 8th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 6,364 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:29 PM
    I suspect that the merchant has realised that Clarity card users never select to be charged in pounds, as many others would do, so they are missing out on the revenue generated by DCC by accepting Clarity.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Seems a bit unlikely to me. Surely they're still likely to miss out because then:
    1) They might pay with a "normal" card but still refuse DCC (because you're usually still better off with the standard 2.75% than DCC)
    2) They might then pay cash - no DCC
    3) They might walk away unable to pay - no DCC and no profit on goods.

I wonder how many US retailers know about Clarity? However, somehow, I can believe some Americans would get spooked by the large X !

I've never had a problem with Clarity. However, I rarely go to the US these days.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 8th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    I just completed two weeks in New England.

100% acceptance.
    • Marksfish
    • By Marksfish 8th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Marksfish
    • 8th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    Never had a problem in New York, LA or Vegas earlier this year. All chip and pin as well.
    • ingestre14
    • By ingestre14 8th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ingestre14
    • 8th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 2:59 PM
    I have to agree with eDicky - This was my suspicion as well, but I had not even considered that this guy was getting spooked by the big X.

I know its a long shot but has anybody else been through this particular vendor with a Clarity CC? Whats your experience?

(San Francisco International Terminal G - Duty free shop.)
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 8th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:05 PM
    The title of the thread makes it sound as though it happened on mode than one occasion.

How many times did this happen?
    • provista
    • By provista 8th Jul 17, 5:26 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    provista
    My daughter used hers in San Francisco international airport duty free last September no problems
    Last edited by provista; 08-07-2017 at 5:27 PM. Reason: Missed airport
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    eDicky
    Seems a bit unlikely to me. Surely they're still likely to miss out because then:
    1) They might pay with a "normal" card but still refuse DCC (because you're usually still better off with the standard 2.75% than DCC)
    2) They might then pay cash - no DCC
    3) They might walk away unable to pay - no DCC and no profit on goods.

I wonder how many US retailers know about Clarity? However, somehow, I can believe some Americans would get spooked by the large X !

I've never had a problem with Clarity. However, I rarely go to the US these days.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    It does seem unlikely and illogical, but what other explanation could there be? I can actually imagine American airport dutyfree shop owners being vindictive enough to ban the British big X cards, whose bearers keep escaping their lucrative DCC scam.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 8th Jul 17, 8:04 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Ben8282
    This is all highly improbable. It would appear this is a one-off incident not multiple 'vendors'.
    It makes no sense that an airport duty free shop which accepts mastercard will go to the trouble of telling staff not to accept mastercards issued by a specific foreign bank simply because holders of that card were considered less likely to accept DCC.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 8th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,131 Thanks
    IAmWales
    It does seem unlikely and illogical, but what other explanation could there be? I can actually imagine American airport dutyfree shop owners being vindictive enough to ban the British big X cards, whose bearers keep escaping their lucrative DCC scam.
    The group that own the SFO stores is an international company, operating across multiple airports, yet this is the only report I can find of this happening. That suggests to me error or misunderstanding, not some conspiracy against Halifax customers.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 8th Jul 17, 9:13 PM
    • 6,364 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Fake news?
    • firely2327
    • By firely2327 8th Jul 17, 11:50 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    firely2327
    Got one of these CCs last year prior to a trip to Canada to make things simpler rather than faffing around with currency, and all went well. Used is for almost everything and never had any issues.
    • Wellard Mann
    • By Wellard Mann 9th Jul 17, 10:54 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Wellard Mann
    I'm not convinced about that. You only 'escape' DCC by making a choice at the point of sale. I could well envisage holders of this card being fully aware of DCC and electing to pay in local currency but so would holders of, say, Santander Zero or Barclaycard Platinum Travel cards. Or even a card that does charge for foreign transactions possibly? Although I personally wouldn't want to calculate the difference between the foreign payment premium and the exchange rate before making the decision at the till.

I too think this was an isolated misunderstanding.
    • The-Truth
    • By The-Truth 9th Jul 17, 1:02 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    The-Truth
    The title of the thread makes it sound as though it happened on mode than one occasion.

How many times did this happen?
    Originally posted by Edi81
    I used the card in the USA this year in several different states with no problem and was going to say the same thing. How come the op only gives one example when the title suggests it's happened more than once?
    • dresdendave
    • By dresdendave 10th Jul 17, 5:51 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    dresdendave
    This morning in Tesco's I tried to pay by swiping my contactless card. The machine wouldn't accept it and I had to insert my card and enter my PIN.

Should I now create my own post with the heading:

"TESCO'S NO LONGER ACCEPTING CONTACTLESS PAYMENTS"?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 10th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    eDicky
    This morning in Tesco's I tried to pay by swiping my contactless card. The machine wouldn't accept it and I had to insert my card and enter my PIN.

Should I now create my own post with the heading:

"TESCO'S NO LONGER ACCEPTING CONTACTLESS PAYMENTS"?
    Originally posted by dresdendave
    Your example is an everyday occurrence devoid of mystery, the OP's encounter (if true) is something else. If a cashier refused any card of mine on sight I'd be inclined to mention it here.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 10th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    They might have had an issue with any Halifax card - all have the 'X' including their Visa Electron cards.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

1,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin