Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • frankiethewhale
    • By frankiethewhale 8th Jul 17, 5:49 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    frankiethewhale
    1st time working tax credits claim
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:49 AM
    1st time working tax credits claim 8th Jul 17 at 5:49 AM
    Ahoy there,

Im currently working for minimum wage and doing between 37 - 40 hours per week, in october however im planning to begin a course with the Open Univeristy and will be cutting my hours to 32 over 4 days to free up a bit of study time.

So I decided to check the Gov.uk Tax credits calculator and was pleasently suprised to learn that I would apparently be eligble for over 200 pounds per month working tax credits based on a 32 hour week on minimum wage. Out of curiosity I went through the calculator again with my current income level and hours and was again suprised to see it chuck out the exact same figure!

Im curious to hear if anyone else here is in a similar situation as myself income wise and is in recipt of working tax credits. Also any genral advice or relevent info would be much appreciated as this is the first time ive considerd/attempted to apply for any kind of benefit.

First post here so go easy!

cheers
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 8th Jul 17, 6:15 AM
    • 10,780 Posts
    • 7,022 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:15 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:15 AM
    working tax credits is based on your circumstances and income
    initially this can be confused as they use the previous years income as a starting point
    to understand the correct number
    do you have children or claim any disability benefits?
    are you single or do you have a partner?
    what was your total income for the tax year 16/17?
    what do you expect your total income to be for the tax year 17/18? (6 months full time + 6 months reduced hours)?
    • frankiethewhale
    • By frankiethewhale 8th Jul 17, 7:02 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    frankiethewhale
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:02 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:02 AM
    Apologies for the lazy formatting but here goes

do you have children or claim any disability benefits? No and No
    are you single or do you have a partner? Single
    what was your total income for the tax year 16/17? 14500
    what do you expect your total income to be for the tax year 17/18? (6 months full time + 6 months reduced hours)? 15200 (an educated estimate)

Much appreciated.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 8th Jul 17, 7:25 AM
    • 4,528 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:25 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:25 AM
    On that information you wouldn't be eligible for WTC as your income is too high. The calculator you are using is either incorrect or you are not inputting the information correctly.

To get £200 per month you'd need an income closer to £7,000.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

421Posts Today

3,802Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin