Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 8th Jul 17, 5:44 AM
    • 2,872Posts
    • 38,922Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Saturday 8 July 2017
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:44 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 8 July 2017 8th Jul 17 at 5:44 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 8 July 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and myself up enjoying first peaceful cuppas. Air quite a bit cooler and we've had some rain during the night but not enough to wet the ground, so will still have to water the plants. Very cloudy and overcast.

Dinner last night was breaded chicken portions, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg for the menfolk, I had a use up dinner of gyros (part bag left in the freezer), half a red pepper, chunk of aubergine, half a courgette, part bag of frozen thai stir fry veg, few mushrooms, soy sauce, squidge of tom puree, splash of red wine vinegar - completely made up recipe but did taste rather nice and was stir fried using fry light spray oil - I'm going to be following slimming world diet for the next few weeks see if I can get my weight loss moving again, as I've been quite good for the last few weeks and nothings' really happening. I only want to loose another stone so just need to get it going. I was really full after my dinner so didn't eat anything else.

Yesterday I got the jobs I wanted to done, the ironing was a bit of a hot job, but I got it done. I love being able to get a load washed and onto the line and know a while later it's going to be dry! Tonight's dinner I'm not completely sure what we'll be having, but I can get that sorted during the day.

Got workman coming today to put up our pergola - not sure it that's the right word, it's going to be a wooden structure built against the house and outwards over the patio doors with slats across the top to make a bit of a sunshade - the garden doesn't get much sun in the morning, then at the hottest part of the day and until sunset we get full sun, this guy is brilliant and has a natural talent for wood working/carpentry. He's one of my DH's oldest friend's, he actually employed my DH as a school leaver many moons ago and they've stayed in touch and good friends, he's one of our boys godfather too. I have a beautiful sideboard and drinks cabinet that he made for me, I was describing what I wanted and he was sketching whilst we were on the telephone, when he brought the sketches over when he wanted to show me and measure up - the sketches were exactly what I could see in my mind but as I have a useless drawing ability couldn't get it down on paper. Hopefully work today should be finished by the end of tomorrow.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 08-07-2017 at 6:26 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 8th Jul 17, 6:35 AM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 22,340 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:35 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:35 AM
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC for starting us off. I had the worst night I have had in a while and feel like a wet rag. Despite the weather cooling yesterday as the day wore on, the bedroom still felt warm at bedtime which didn't help.

The sun had his hat on bright and early this morning and is forecast to shine most of the day. An improvement on yesterday when it was cloudy and muggy all day.

No fixed plans for today, what will be will be. May take the bus into town or may not! Must ring hairdresser today and try to get an appointment next week for a much needed trim. My grey roots must be addressed first though before I go! I could get the hairdresser to do it for me but I hate the thought of sitting in there forever and paying a fortune for it, when I can do it myself with a £2.50 colour from Bodycare!

Need to do a freezer rummage next and sort out today's eats. It will be something easy I think as I am feeling lazy after lack of sleep.

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) for those in need. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 8th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,246 Posts
    • 14,023 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    Good morning, thank you for starting the thread nmlc.
    It looks as though we are going to have another hot day, still no rain. I've yet another load of washing ready to go out when OH surfaces. He is still having to reverse burgle out.
    Like nmlc, I did lots of ironing yesterday but there is more to do from yesterday's washing, botheration.
    No real plans, am just enjoying the last two days of a break from work as next week is going to be very busy and the following one will be worse.
    Hope everyone has a good day.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • redruby
    • By redruby 8th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 89,740 Thanks
    redruby
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:16 AM
    Morning all

Up early for me at the weekend but im off to work, day six and im really feeling it ! only one more getty up after this !

Domestics will be left to OH and DD the house needs a lean and hoover and we need some shopping, dinner will be a surprise of what ever OH cooks !

The weather is a bit overcast and cloudy but hopefully it will brighten up later on.

Ive done my breakfast and lunch to take to work, banana in natural yogurt for breakfast and riveta with low fat cream cheese with chilli and a couple of tomatoes for lunch with some fruit.

Right I had better get on have good days all xx
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 1,113 Posts
    • 9,211 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

A much better nights sleep last night. I went to sleep about midnight and woke up about 7.00am. I certainly feel much better for it.

I am trying to plan my food around salads again at the moment. I never feel like eating too much when the weather gets hot. So I’ve decided that it is just as well that I like salads at the moment. Although it is hot and muggy this weather does seem to make people seem generally happier which is nice. Although I did notice a few people hanging around in the chilled isle at the supermarket not really looking at anything in particular earlier in the week

I managed to go and do some people watching in the park again yesterday afternoon. I managed to get a bench under a lovely large tree which gave lots of shade. I was quite happy sat there for a couple of hours with my book and then treated myself to an ice cream. I’m easily pleased these day . I think that as I’ve got older, I get pleasure from much more simple pastimes than I used to.

I’m going to an end of year school fete this morning for an hour or so. It’s at a school where I used to be a Governor and since I resigned I have become friends with the head teacher. She is taking early retirement in a couple of weeks so this will be my last time that I have any involvement with the school, as it is quite a distance from my home.

Anyhow, I had better go and get organised and get some more tea.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 8th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    • 12,114 Posts
    • 35,023 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    Morning

Very quiet in here today hope that means everyone is getting a decent sleep who needs one

Gorgeous start to the day blue sky and sunny hope its in for the day but the forecast is cloud.

Nothing exciting planned today bar cleaning a fairly grotty house. Will be nipping out at lunchtime to a local school fete as my friend is selling her cakes and kitchen ware there today and wanted to see a friendly face No doubt there will be a cake or a brownie in it for me

If the weather stays this nice then there may be a bit of sunbathing and reading going on later but I have probably just put the kibosh on that one now.

Have a lovely day all
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 8th Jul 17, 8:06 AM
    • 11,123 Posts
    • 153,494 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:06 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:06 AM
    Good Morning all, it's cooler here at the moment as we have some high cloud but I think we are forecast 27 degrees later on today. It's the village 'Festival' today, lots of people work very hard to make it happen but I always find it unsatisfying as the only stalls there are village associations, businesses and clubs along with the church and uniformed associations which are cubs and the like (not so many of those now and none of those specifically for girls) though we do have a really thriving Sea Scouts Pack here because of the proximity to the river. I'd love to find an old fashioned Village Fete with Hoopla, Hook a Duck and Toffee Apples, long gone I fear!

I'm off into town this morning on the bus for a few odds and ends I can't get in the village and will look through the charity shops though they seem not to be getting a great deal of new donations of late, the stock doesn't seem different from last time I went in and that's partly time of year and the sheer economics of living these days. Think I might suggest a Boot Fair to He Who Knows for tomorrow morning as it's due to be another nice day and there ought to be lots of stalls.

Have been up to the polytunnel and picked my daily courgette, the plant gives us a new one every morning, and watered the cucumber which is suffering a bit in the heat we're currently having, I'm having to water it twice every day to keep it happy, noticed that the peppers in there have flowers on this morning.....the year moves on. I picked the first handful of cherry tomatoes from the greenhouse yesterday some yellow 'Sungold' which are sweetly delicious and my favourite type.

Hope you all have a lovely day and that there is some sunshine for all of you and some lovely cool shade if that sunshine is too warm, xxx.
    Last edited by MrsLurcherwalker; 08-07-2017 at 8:45 AM.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 8th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 19,851 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    Morning everyone,

Bit of a lie-in this morning after a rubbish nights sleep. It's cloudy and cooler here today which is much better, especially for the dogs, my old girl was really suffering in yesterday's heat .
    Not much planned for today, managed to get all my jobs done yesterday so apart from picking up the never ending supply of dog hair there is nothing to do!
    Might pop out later to see if I can find any bargains and pick up some more salad as we are getting through a lot, not sure about tea, will look through some of my cookbooks and wait for inspiration to hit
    Have a good day folks x
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 8th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 3,180 Posts
    • 37,860 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, hugs to those in need.

I had a lie in this morning and didn't wake up until 7.

The floor has been swept and mopped, the rubbish has been taken to the skip and the washing is done and hanging on the maiden in the prow.

Captain Hot Stuff is busy painting and I'm cooking sausages, he will stop for breakfast about 10ish.

I just have the head to clean and then I'm hoping to finish off the curtains as I want to make myself a jacket.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 8th Jul 17, 9:15 AM
    • 1,736 Posts
    • 16,179 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

It looks like another stonking hot day again, although there is a breeze, I am glad OH is not bowling this afternoon, he would not stand the pace, I hope its cooler tomorrow for the special day at his old club we have been invited to. I need to sort out something to wear.......

Laundry out on the line, I wanted to get it done, the bed needs changing on Monday and I have to take it to bits to turn the mattress, we have to rotate it top to bottom, I will take the opportunity to wash the mattress topper as well.

No plans for today really, I finished putting the binding on 5 table mats, I now have to sew it down by hand. I did lay the fabric out to see if I can make another tapestry bag.......need to think about it a bit.

As we are out for supper tomorrow I am cooking chicken tonight with all the trimmings, I might just put the chicken in this morning whilst the kitchen side of the house is cool

The chaps from the council came yesterday, we can replace the shed, we have to take the old one down and then ring the council and the chappie who does the Japanese Knotweed inoculation will come out and make sure the ground under the shed is ok, we can then get the new shed put up. It means a bit of logistical planning as the ground has to be sorted in September and I was not planning to put the shed on till the end of October. That needs thinking about. especially as we are going on holiday for a few days in the middle of October.....hmmmm..
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 8th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 4,928 Posts
    • 47,608 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Early start for me as DD1 is off to New York for a week and needed to be at the airport for 7.30......am feeling hungry now but dont want to eat as we are meeting a friend for brunch at 11.....will be ravenous by then!

Must rouse OH......he takes forever to shave and shower which is fine with no time constaints......

Have a lovely weekend

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 8th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 15,508 Posts
    • 126,393 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning everyone and another hot and bright sunny day by the looks of it.

I am having a gentle relaxing day to try an make up for the lost sleeps I have been having because of the heat at night I just don't sleep very well when there is no breeze or fresh air .

But a feet up and some mindless tv will usually do the trick No shopping to buy as I made the quiche yesterday from left over odds and ends and will have some with some salad, and lunch will be celery soup and crackers and an apple.
    Don't even fancy much to eat either when its this hot and sticky .
    I am definitely more of a 20c max sort of person

Happy Birthday to those celebrating and <<hugs >> to those who are feeling low and despondent

Take care all and use the sun screen if you go out

Cheers JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 8th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 416 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning all, another hot and sunny day.
    I have been awake since 5.30am, so made myself a cuppa and went back to bed till 8. I woke with a swollen and stiff left hand, so will take some Napro*en tablets with my lunch, in the hope it helps.
    DH has mowed the back lawn and we are now sitting with a coffee. DW emptied and refilled and kitchen tops cleaned down.
    This afternoon the DGC are coming to play with us old kids, so may put the tent and the beach shelter up in the back garden, because DGS will use one as his tardis and DGD will probably want a house for her babies .
    Tea tonight will possibly be bacon, sausage and egg or chicken nuggets and chips, followed by fairy cakes.
    Have a good day everyone and hugs to all
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jul 17, 10:23 AM
    • 5,911 Posts
    • 34,979 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning all.

Today it is not raining! Tomorrow it will be raining. So I shall make hay (put on a washing load) while the sun shines.

Apart from that I have a trip to the tip on my 'to do' list and nothing much else though I'm sure stuff will pop up.

I hope everyone has a happy Saturday.
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 8th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 1,257 Posts
    • 17,553 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

It's a lot cooler here this morning which is lovely. I woke up again in the night and came downstairs and messed around on the computer for a couple of hours. Lilly was awake too and was cuddled up on the settee watching a film. It was nice to have some company in the wee small hours.

I took Lilly out for dinner last night at a very nice restaurant overlooking the sea.. It did me so much good to get out I can't tell you. I feel more 'normal' today and ready for anything. We had a good giggle at life in general and enjoyed a really nice meal.

I am another who is taking inspiration from my cook books this morning. I have ordered the ingredients to make some different meals as I am so bored cooking the same things over and over. I have ordered fish and laverbread as well as harissa paste and stem ginger amongst other things. I hope the family won't mind me experimenting on them next week .

I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 8th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,675 Posts
    • 20,056 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

Having a lazy morning apart from the usual dogwalk.Its quite nice and sunny,warm but not hot.DH has gone to get rid of some rubbish at his storage place on the farm,he's got a skip coming.The place has got into a mess as more and more stuff gets put in.It doesnt help that DS2 has a suite,table,washer and dryer etc which he doesnt want to put into his house until the refurb is a bit more finished,but we cant get on with making our cellar right as we cant empty it till theres some space.There is also an upstairs in the storage place which has got surplus stuff from house moves You get the picture-too much stuff

No cooking for me as we are meeting 2 friends for a meal tonight.DGS is away with his Mum,and DS &DGD are going out but she is staying tonight.

I got lots of meat reduced at the sm yesterday even steak,was running very low,so I unpacked it out of the trays into smaller bags to save space.I made beef stroganoff last night,stretched 2 steaks between 4 of us but it was lovely with lots of onions and mushrooms.

I was making a dress to wear tonight but I'm not happy with it,the extra pounds I've gained in the last few months certainly show up in it .Luckily its not really cost me anything as I used the material from a seldom used maxi dress.
    Right better go and do something useful,hope you all have a nice weekend xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • Judi
    • By Judi 8th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 15,294 Posts
    • 62,778 Thanks
    Judi
    Evening all,

had a busy day entertaining 'Livewire' today. We took him on a canal boat to explore local mines and caverns. He wasnt keen on the dark spots and i must say neither was i. I'm not keen on the dark myself. I dunno who clung on to who the most, me or him! Ive taken the trip before, though years ago and forgot how dark it was.

'Livewire' has now gone home to his Mummy and Daddy, Granddad has disappeared down the shed and i am looking forward to a quiet night in.

Have a good night all.
    Last edited by Judi; 08-07-2017 at 10:37 PM.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Gers
    • By Gers 8th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 5,911 Posts
    • 34,979 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening.

My trip to the tip was non-eventful! I did a little bit of shopping on the way home, just a bottle of milk and a cucumber. Washing dried very quickly in the weak sunshine and brisk wind.

I've booked myself a sneaky wee weekend in Edinburgh for the end of this month. Can't see me getting away for a longer break as there's 'stuff' in the calendar for non-fun things. I can travel from here to Glasgow and then Glasgow to Edinburgh for £0.50 return (booking fee). The company discourages people from just turning up. There's not any plans for when I'm there, just wanted to have some time away before the Festival and Tattoo start.

Apart from that burst of activity I've been reading a lot.

I hope everyone is doing well.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Jul 17, 7:44 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 17,155 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone, I'm late on parade today!

For once the sun is shining and it's midge-free. I was feeling a bit ropey today - I'm not convinced the antibiotic has completely killed the ear infection so apart from tidying up my greenhouse tomatoes I've been mainly horizontal. Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow when of course the forecast is for more rain........
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

361Posts Today

5,022Users online

Martin's Twitter