Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bostan
    • By Bostan 8th Jul 17, 12:57 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bostan
    Policy cancellation notice given by insurer
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:57 AM
    Policy cancellation notice given by insurer 8th Jul 17 at 12:57 AM
    Hi,

Im wondering if anyone can shed some light on this situation. I was away recently and my older brother took out an insurance policy for me. All the details were correct but when he entered the employment info, he clicked on the wrong thing and put me down as a different occupation. I had previous insurance with that company and they realised I have a different job to the one stated and so sent me a cancellation notice of seven days. If i cancel before the seven days myself, does it still go against me? I really dont want to have a cancellation on my record. Thanks
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    • 18,537 Posts
    • 14,258 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:45 AM
    Wouldn't it be simpler just to ring them up, explain what happen, and ask if they will continue the policy with the correct employment info and payment of any additional premium / charges to make the change?
    • Bostan
    • By Bostan 8th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bostan
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    Yes, that did cross my mind but i was thinking down the route of if they reject that. I will give that a go first and see what they say.
    • Bostan
    • By Bostan 8th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bostan
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    Also, i was thinking that if they would accept the correction in occupation, would they not have rang me and changed it rather than cancel the policy?
    • Clifford_Pope
    • By Clifford_Pope 8th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 3,382 Posts
    • 3,468 Thanks
    Clifford_Pope
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    Supposing you had in fact changed your occupation - why would that trigger a cancellation?
    Unless you had changed from bank clerk to high wire stunt artist or mercenary
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 8th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    • 891 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    What was the occupation declared as and what is your actual occupation?

Most likely if they would have accepted the corrected info they would have done it.
    • Bostan
    • By Bostan 8th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bostan
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    I think he clicked retired instead of employed
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    It's doubtful the insurer doesn't cover retired people, (if they didn't, then the policy would never have been issued)

So they look to be taking this draconian measure because they take the view that you deliberately tried to get a reduced premium.

So it's got to be worth fighting your cancellation and trying to get it stopped - a cancellation stays on your record for ever

Don't attempt to blame a third party - your brother had no right to take out a policy in your name! Explain it was a mistake done in haste - clicking on retired instead of enployed should have come to your notice pretty quickly when reviewing the application details)
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 8th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 891 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:37 PM
    Quentin I think the insurer accepts retired but may not accept his occupation, based on how I'd read the OP?

His brother has a right to take out the policy as long as he has permission from the policyholder.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    Quentin I think the insurer accepts retired but may not accept his occupation, based on how I'd read the OP?
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    Yes that's how I see it regarding "retired" (see #8) :

It's doubtful the insurer doesn't cover retired people, (if they didn't, then the policy would never have been issued).....
    Originally posted by Quentin
    But the OP says they previously accepted his (proper) occupation

.....His brother has a right to take out the policy as long as he has permission from the policyholder.
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy

It appears he didn't let the insurer know this! The insurer look to have been under the impression that the OP took out the policy himself and gave a false occupation.

If a formal arrangement existed that the brother was allowed to take out a policy on behalf of the OP, then that will be a point that can be raised with the insurer
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 8th Jul 17, 3:38 PM
    • 20,263 Posts
    • 12,509 Thanks
    dacouch
    Call it a lucky guess, but I think the "Brother" obtained a quote on the correct occupation and then on the retired occupation and then took out the retired quote as it was cheaper
    • stockton
    • By stockton 9th Jul 17, 12:21 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    stockton
    I was under the impression that cancellations stayed with you for ever but I recently renewed my car insurance and it only asks about policies cancelled within the last five years.
    Last edited by stockton; 01-09-2017 at 11:52 AM.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Jul 17, 9:25 AM
    • 33,227 Posts
    • 17,175 Thanks
    Quentin
    If an insurer only asks about the last 5 years then you need not disclose it if it was outside that time frame - though the cancellation does stay with you for ever, and most insurers do ask "have you ever had a policy cancelled"

(DL also only ask about last five years (motor), but "ever" for house insurance)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,547Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin