Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • directdebiter
    • By directdebiter 8th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    • 234Posts
    • 87Thanks
    directdebiter
    Universal Job Match - where are all the jobs?
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    Universal Job Match - where are all the jobs? 8th Jul 17 at 12:08 AM
    Not sure whats going on but most of the jobs seem to have disappeared from universal job match. Maybe they are closing it down giving it a gradual death - or stopped companies posting jobs. Either way the volume of jobs now make it pointless to use. The searches I did generated zero results. RIP
Page 2
    • jbond
    • By jbond 11th Jul 17, 10:05 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    Nice to see the usual contributions of the Daily Fail readers on this thread. Very helpful to the unemployed. Keep it up guys?
    Originally posted by Stylehutz
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but in fairness to the DF readers, JCs have never really done things like CV advice/writing etc. IN my experience, they are only really there to sign you on, do a quick jobs search check, and then see ya later. HOWEVER, they should always be able to point you in the direction of orgs that CAN provide extra help!
    • andygb
    • By andygb 11th Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 25,620 Thanks
    andygb
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but in fairness to the DF readers, JCs have never really done things like CV advice/writing etc. IN my experience, they are only really there to sign you on, do a quick jobs search check, and then see ya later. HOWEVER, they should always be able to point you in the direction of orgs that CAN provide extra help!
    Originally posted by jbond

When my OH and I were unemployed last year, both our "job coaches" asked to look at our CV's, and then asked us to change them - both in content and layout, despite the fact that neither of the "job coaches" understood what our jobs entailed.
    We were then sent on an "Employability" course, where we had to pass very basic tests in English, Maths and Computer Skills. At the end of the course, they asked to see our CV's and handed out templates for CV's and covering letters.
    Within fifteen minutes, I had returned mine complete with highlighted spelling, punctuation and grammar errors.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 11th Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    When my OH and I were unemployed last year, both our "job coaches" asked to look at our CV's, and then asked us to change them - both in content and layout, despite the fact that neither of the "job coaches" understood what our jobs entailed.
    We were then sent on an "Employability" course, where we had to pass very basic tests in English, Maths and Computer Skills. At the end of the course, they asked to see our CV's and handed out templates for CV's and covering letters.
    Within fifteen minutes, I had returned mine complete with highlighted spelling, punctuation and grammar errors.
    Originally posted by andygb
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't thinking of the 'job coaches', I was thinking of the normal front-line staff that sign off what you've done etc. Things have changed a lot for the worse, in JCs up and down the country, in the last few years.
    Some of those 'job coaches' are full of **** , and from what I've seen, seem to spend more energy on trying to trip ppl up and find clever ways to have people sanctioned, than anything else.
    I certainly wouldn't listen to any of their advice, because quite often, they have their own 'agenda' in mind!
    • andygb
    • By andygb 11th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 25,620 Thanks
    andygb
    Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I wasn't thinking of the 'job coaches', I was thinking of the normal front-line staff that sign off what you've done etc. Things have changed a lot for the worse, in JCs up and down the country, in the last few years.
    Some of those 'job coaches' are full of **** , and from what I've seen, seem to spend more energy on trying to trip ppl up and find clever ways to have people sanctioned, than anything else.
    I certainly wouldn't listen to any of their advice, because quite often, they have their own 'agenda' in mind!

Yes, they are called job coaches, that is what they and their managers call themselves. They see you every two weeks, they check your job searches on UJM, and then they get you to sign, either with a pen or one of the electric screens. Then every so often they send you on useless courses, which are a complete waste of taxpayer's money.
    • directdebiter
    • By directdebiter 11th Jul 17, 3:32 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    directdebiter
    My original point was UJM was hosting lots of jobs from different jobsites which seemed ok as it was aggregating all the sites together. But maybe it had no quality control and got too big. Either way a job platform with no jobs is of no use to anyone! Oh well it only cost £xxx million to build.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 11th Jul 17, 3:44 PM
    • 11,878 Posts
    • 25,620 Thanks
    andygb
    My original point was UJM was hosting lots of jobs from different jobsites which seemed ok as it was aggregating all the sites together. But maybe it had no quality control and got too big. Either way a job platform with no jobs is of no use to anyone! Oh well it only cost £xxx million to build.
    Originally posted by directdebiter

When I was using it last year, I couldn't believe the number of spam jobs and companies, where you would click a link, only to be told that the job didn't exist, or you were directed somewhere quite random.
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 11th Jul 17, 6:35 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    Not sure, but I think you might be getting confused? UJM is just really the jobs site (which you can log into and record your job search on anyway).
    Nope confirmed today it's definitely being scrapped in favour of a new system. I had a job interview at a UC service centre and they were telling me there is going to be a new system to replace UJM, apparently its going to be easier to use... Apparently. Time will tell whether it is easier or better
    Last edited by jessex1990; 11-07-2017 at 6:55 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,054Posts Today

9,663Users online

Martin's Twitter