Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • directdebiter
    • By directdebiter 8th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    • 234Posts
    • 87Thanks
    directdebiter
    Universal Job Match - where are all the jobs?
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    Universal Job Match - where are all the jobs? 8th Jul 17 at 12:08 AM
    Not sure whats going on but most of the jobs seem to have disappeared from universal job match. Maybe they are closing it down giving it a gradual death - or stopped companies posting jobs. Either way the volume of jobs now make it pointless to use. The searches I did generated zero results. RIP
Page 1
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 8th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    I've applied for a job from UJM today, granted it's a rarity, weirdly it didn't let me log in from a normal PC so I've had to squint producing the cover letter trying to use the iPad, only device it did allow me to log on through!!
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 8th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    Its probably just an issue with UJ, there were quite a few people at my jobcentre complaining about their account getting locked for no reason and the password reset isn't working for them either. Always try to help out older people whilst im there doing my own jobsearches.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 8th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    Need to shut the damn thing down. It's not fit for purpose
    • mattcanary
    • By mattcanary 9th Jul 17, 4:40 AM
    • 4,083 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    mattcanary
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:40 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:40 AM
    The number of jobs over the last couple of months or so advertised on UJM has vastly gone down compared to before.

There are actually far less jobs advertised on Indeed too, I've noticed.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 9th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    TyreLever
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    Need to shut the damn thing down. It's not fit for purpose
    Originally posted by Stylehutz
    That applies to the jobcenter aswell. You go there to sign on but there is absolutely no help available for you to actually get a job. A job center should:

Arrange suitable training such as CSCS courses, forklift or lorry driving etc.

Liaise with employers and arrange interviews for you where possible.

Expert staff to review/redo your CV upon signing on. Also guide you on cover letters and assist with application forms.

Jobcenters dont do any of this stuff. In fact you cant even go there to initiate your claim, you have to do that by telephone or internet which drags things out. I'd like to think they will at least let you do this on one of their computers. Staff there are worse than useless. IME they wouldnt even let me use their toilets, they just said to use the pub next door. I suppose its all part of the system to put you off benefits. Like we would choose to live on £70 per week.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 9th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 1,843 Posts
    • 3,829 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    That applies to the jobcenter aswell. You go there to sign on but there is absolutely no help available for you to actually get a job. A job center should:

Expert staff to review/redo your CV upon signing on. Also guide you on cover letters and assist with application forms.

Jobcenters dont do any of this stuff. In fact you cant even go there to initiate your claim, you have to do that by telephone or internet which drags things out. I'd like to think they will at least let you do this on one of their computers. Staff there are worse than useless. IME they wouldnt even let me use their toilets, they just said to use the pub next door. I suppose its all part of the system to put you off benefits. Like we would choose to live on £70 per week.
    Originally posted by TyreLever
    Are you incapable of doing any of the above yourself? They're all things that a jobseeker should be doing for themselves.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 9th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:51 PM

They used to do all of that but not any more. They just seem to want to sanction you these days
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 9th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    TyreLever
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    They used to do all of that but not any more. They just seem to want to sanction you these days
    Originally posted by Stylehutz
    Exactly. They make an already bad situation even worse. How does sanctioning people help them out of unemployment?

Are you incapable of doing any of the above yourself? They're all things that a jobseeker should be doing for themselves.
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Given the difficulty of getting a job, I guess not. The Jobcenter should be a form of rehabilitation for the unemployed, not what it is currently.
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 9th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990

My local jobcentre does all of that, (except for use the toilets) unless its for changing a babies nappy or very young children - public liability insurance, data protection as there is confidential files in the back area etc...
    • jbond
    • By jbond 10th Jul 17, 8:19 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    UJM has always been beset with problems, full of fake jobs, massive levels of duplication, which makes looking for work so much harder for people, and I don't even think that the search facility has ever worked very well (certainly on a geographical level).
    Some of the 'companies' that would advertise on there in the past, have just been scammers.

As for the jobcentres themselves, it seems as if the levels of 'service' vary depending on the jobcentre, and the general attitudes/atmosphere of the staff etc. These days, they are really only there to make your life as difficult as possible, to try to find any possible way they can to sanction you, kick you off benefits, regardless of what type of person you are, or how able-bodied you are.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 10th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 3,444 Posts
    • 5,279 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Arrange suitable training such as CSCS courses, forklift or lorry driving etc. / Liaise with employers and arrange interviews for you where possible. / Expert staff to review/redo your CV upon signing on. Also guide you on cover letters and assist with application forms.
    Anyone who expects the government to do all these for them instead of doing them themselves is not capable of anything beyond unskilled labour. Hence it is a waste of time sending them on courses or jazzing up their CV. If someone doesn't have the wherewithal to apply for a lorry driver's course do you really think they should be in charge of an HGV?

I'm not surprised the JobCentre don't let people use their loos, next thing you know people would start asking them to hold their willy for them.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 10th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    TyreLever
    Anyone who expects the government to do all these for them instead of doing them themselves is not capable of anything beyond unskilled labour. Hence it is a waste of time sending them on courses or jazzing up their CV. If someone doesn't have the wherewithal to apply for a lorry driver's course do you really think they should be in charge of an HGV?

I'm not surprised the JobCentre don't let people use their loos, next thing you know people would start asking them to hold their willy for them.
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    So because somebody doesnt know how to do something, that makes them incapable of learning how to do it well? Unemployed people are unlikely to be able to fund courses themselves. A jobcenter should provide training, or access to training where reasonable.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 15,422 Posts
    • 38,719 Thanks
    elsien
    Training, possibly. But if you're not able to arrange an interview with an employer then I'd suggest that rules out pretty much every role an employer might be wanting to offer you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 10th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    I spoke to people at the jobcentre today and apparently UJM will no longer be required from next year if you are claiming UC. There will be a new electronic diary (similar to the log section) instead.
    • supermario1965
    • By supermario1965 10th Jul 17, 11:46 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    supermario1965
    There are no jobs for native Britons because most of the vacancies are meant for foreigners only.
    • Ronaldo Mconaldo
    • By Ronaldo Mconaldo 11th Jul 17, 1:53 AM
    • 4,989 Posts
    • 5,242 Thanks
    Ronaldo Mconaldo

May e they could cook your dinner for you, read you a story and tuck you into bed at night after giving you a kiss on the cheek? No, they're not there to pretend to be your mum, they're there so that the tax payer doesn't have to give you any more free money in the form of benefits. All of the other services that you have on your wish list of free goodies can be obtained from someone who identified a gap in the market and started their own business to provide that service. Go find them out.

As for not letting you use their loo, I'm not surprised, the level of entitlement that you seem to have would mean that you would expect them to clean up all kinds of mess after you've been. That's not their job either.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 11th Jul 17, 6:20 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    TyreLever
    May e they could cook your dinner for you, read you a story and tuck you into bed at night after giving you a kiss on the cheek? No, they're not there to pretend to be your mum, they're there so that the tax payer doesn't have to give you any more free money in the form of benefits. All of the other services that you have on your wish list of free goodies can be obtained from someone who identified a gap in the market and started their own business to provide that service. Go find them out.

As for not letting you use their loo, I'm not surprised, the level of entitlement that you seem to have would mean that you would expect them to clean up all kinds of mess after you've been. That's not their job either.
    Originally posted by Ronaldo Mconaldo
    Jesus Christ you're a massive bell end.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 11th Jul 17, 8:00 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    I spoke to people at the jobcentre today and apparently UJM will no longer be required from next year if you are claiming UC. There will be a new electronic diary (similar to the log section) instead.
    Originally posted by jessex1990
    Not sure, but I think you might be getting confused? UJM is just really the jobs site (which you can log into and record your job search on anyway).
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 11th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    Nice to see the usual contributions of the Daily Fail readers on this thread. Very helpful to the unemployed. Keep it up guys?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

1,645Users online

Martin's Twitter