Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 71Pegasus
    • By 71Pegasus 7th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    71Pegasus
    Am I entitled to refund when only deposit paid on goods not received
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    Am I entitled to refund when only deposit paid on goods not received 7th Jul 17 at 10:23 PM
    Hi, my son recently paid a deposit on some bicycle parts at a local bicylce shop. We explained that we needed them within a week. We have just found out that they won't arrive for at least 2 weeks, which will be too late, as we needed the parts to be able to take part in a charity bike event. We have asked for a refund on the deposit, but they have refused, as they say the goods are already in transit. What are our rights please? As we have not received anything yet, can we get a refund?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Jul 17, 11:51 PM
    • 25,667 Posts
    • 10,200 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:51 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:51 PM
    Wont you need the parts to fix the bike anyway?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 8th Jul 17, 1:38 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 8th Jul 17, 1:38 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 1:38 AM
    ( Let's say, for instance, that the OP's son chose those parts, because they would arrive in a week ; and if the store had said that wasn't possible, he'd have bought the same things somewhere cheaper to arrive in a month, or somewhere more expensive to arrive in a week )

Companies that I deal with ; say once it is shipped, you can't cancel.

If they were promised in a week ( rather than you saying you needed them in a week ) then being late would be a breach of contract ; the difficulty being that you won't know they are late, until they are too late to be useful. Maybe the company is being cautious, and they will arrive on time.

Can anywhere else guarantee they'll arrive in time ?
    If not, you don't have a decision to make ; if so, you could buy them from there, then try to get a full refund. Maybe they are popular enough that the shop could sell them easily.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 15,266 Posts
    • 11,087 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:19 AM
    Hi, my son recently paid a deposit on some bicycle parts at a local bicylce shop. We explained that we needed them within a week. We have just found out that they won't arrive for at least 2 weeks, which will be too late, as we needed the parts to be able to take part in a charity bike event. We have asked for a refund on the deposit, but they have refused, as they say the goods are already in transit. What are our rights please? As we have not received anything yet, can we get a refund?
    Originally posted by 71Pegasus
    How much money are we talking about in full
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,774Posts Today

8,634Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin