Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • michael1234
    • By michael1234 7th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 126Posts
    • 50Thanks
    michael1234
    Use solicitor for purchase but do own sale conveyancing ?
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    Use solicitor for purchase but do own sale conveyancing ? 7th Jul 17 at 9:20 PM
    I'm wondering if this might make sense or is a stupid idea?

I'm obvisouly buying a new place and selling the current completing on the same day). Both properties are freehold and there is no mortgage or anything else as far as I know that is unusual.

My theory is that with selling apart from doing all the admin correctly as per the numerous guides out there, I would largely just have to confirm that my bank account has received the funds and that those funds are from a genuine buyer (not a money launderer etc).

I'm not sure if it would be possible to engage a solicitor just for the purchase part whilst I handle the sale?

Is it a silly idea? Or perhaps I should try to do the purchase too?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Jul 17, 9:32 PM
    • 55,145 Posts
    • 48,335 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:32 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:32 PM
    Do you need the sale proceeds for your purchase.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • michael1234
    • By michael1234 7th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    michael1234
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    Interesting, there is a minimum message length of 10 characters on here. 8-)

My original reply was just to say "yes".

Many thanks for your reply and I see you respond to most threads here. Out of interest, are you a solicitor?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 55,145 Posts
    • 48,335 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    No I'm not.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 41,049 Posts
    • 47,154 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    Yes it's possible, but frankly not worth the hassle.

Negotiate a bit on conveyancing fees based on lo leases, no mortgages etc and on giving them both jobs.

The extra hassle of coordinating sale & purchase when different people/conveyancers are doing each is not worth the saving.

Exacerbated if you need the sale money to pay the purchase, adding an additional money trasfer step on Completion day.

Either do them both, or neither.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

626Posts Today

5,929Users online

Martin's Twitter