Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jemmajane
    • By Jemmajane 7th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jemmajane
    Can I buy share of parents house?
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    Can I buy share of parents house? 7th Jul 17 at 8:51 PM
    As a first time buyer can I get a mortgage to buy a share of my parents house?
    I want to do this to get onto the ladder and also free up a lump sum for my parents to buy a smaller property for them to live in. I will then be living in their current house.
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 7th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    If you'd like to release equity from the property, there are a number of ways to go about it, but they may not be what you have in mind.
    - you could remortgage with capital raising with you and your parents all on the mortgage and the deeds - watch out for mortgage term restriction due to your parents' age, although a few lenders can ignore their age, if their incomes are not used
    - further to one of the posts a few weeks' ago, there is one lender who would allow you being on the mortgage, but your parents also being on the deed (i.e. owners without being on the mortgage)

Would your parents need a mortgage for the new house? If so, then they'd have to demonstrate that they could afford the mortgage on the current house and on the new house just by themselves without you.

If your parents are owners of both properties, then both properties being resi homes will mean that they'll have to pay the higher rate stamp duty on the new house.

In other words, you can't just buy a share with a mortgage on your own without the impact described above.

As an alternative, you could buy the whole property at a discounted price and lenders could give up to 100% of the discounted price as a mortgage (subject to T&Cs). However, this has obvious consequences as well. E.g. equity is gifted to you, so what about any siblings you may have, inheritance, etc. However, with this method your parents wouldn't be tied to the planned mortgage and wouldn't have to pay higher stamp duty on the new house. Now, there will be many people saying that family and money shouldn't mix, so this is just to mention another option as well.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 29,488 Posts
    • 17,625 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:42 AM
    Do they have a mortgage on the house?
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 29,488 Posts
    • 17,625 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    duplicate
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5676222
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

748Posts Today

8,395Users online

Martin's Twitter