Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jemmajane
    • By Jemmajane 7th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jemmajane
    FTB Buying a share of parents house
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    FTB Buying a share of parents house 7th Jul 17 at 8:34 PM
    As a FTB can I get a mortgage to buy a share of parents house, to enable me to get onto property ladder and also free up a lump sum for parents to buy a second smaller property?
    I will be living in their current house and they will move into the smaller property.
    Thanks.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 7th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 5,035 Posts
    • 4,381 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    the mortgage lender normally requires all legal owners of a property to be on any mortgage secured against the property. You would need a joint mortgage with your parents given your proposal. Not impossible, but may raise extra issues.
    • Bossypants
    • By Bossypants 7th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    Bossypants
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    As a FTB can I get a mortgage to buy a share of parents house, to enable me to get onto property ladder and also free up a lump sum for parents to buy a second smaller property?
    I will be living in their current house and they will move into the smaller property.
    Thanks.
    Originally posted by Jemmajane
    If you have enough to give your parents to enable them to buy a smaller property, why don't you just buy the smaller property yourself?

Apart from anything else, if you do as described above, your parents will be hit with the higher stamp duty.
    Jul-Dec Cookie Jar Goal: £102.37/£600
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,389Posts Today

6,310Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin