Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • inner_grace
    • By inner_grace 7th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 7Thanks
    inner_grace
    Legal rights after buying a house with dangerous electrics.
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    Legal rights after buying a house with dangerous electrics. 7th Jul 17 at 8:23 PM
    Hi

I recently brought a 4 bed detached house and paid the price of what the house was valued at based on acceptable electrics.

The seller did not reply to the electricity questions nor did she provide an indemnity policy for an extension (I paid £100 for it just before completion at mine and my solicitors disgrace) I was given a brief reply to the electrics question also right at the last minute. She said she had not required the electrics apart from adding electric sockets in the conservatory. Also said she was advised to update the earth on the cooker 15 years ago. She told us when she showed us around that she extended the kitchen but told the solicitor the people she brought the house of didn't provide her with indemnity policy for the extension? I didn't expect much electrical work because the consumer unit is modern with new cables running around it.

Upon changing lights we discover it's not the cooker that needs an earth. There is no cooker point as the oven is gas. It's the lighting circuit that needs the earth! She had metal fittings up which have all been ripped down and changed to plastic for safety. Some of the plug sockets were not left safe inside, some also having old early 1960s wiring. The new cables I spotted around the fuse box are for the kitchen as that has been done on a new circuit with earthed lighting.

So my point here is I told my solicitor something was a miss as she has a new consumer unit but no electrical certificate for it? She said you would not always get a certificate. Didn't question with the seller anymore. The seller knew what she was doing and why didn't she say that the property had been partly re wired?

She had alot of money from us for the house and eith everything looking nice on the outside. Nicely decorated, new carpets ect. Underneath it all is mostly old wiring and now we are left with a big bill at some point to put right work that she should have done beforehand.

Not sure if I have any legal rights but I feel that she has mis led us and the solicitor could have been a bit more through on the electrical side?

Has anyone else had a similar experience, did you pursue and what was the outcome?

My solicitor just said I could take to small claims court and an independent legal advisor said it's a difficult one and to go through purchase documents to look for mistakes the solicitor may have made.

Your advise appreciated.
Page 2
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 8th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    sheff6107
    Try living in my temporary rented house - tin wiring, no earths, every plug socket is wired into a 4 way adaptor screwed to the wall. We had to get an electrician round for something else and he was very annoyed there was nothing in law that would let him condemn the house.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 9th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 7,077 Posts
    • 3,907 Thanks
    martindow
    Err, would you believe rubber cable? OK it's going back many years, but even in those heady days of practical naivety, I knew perishing when I saw it.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    I totally agree if it's rubber. My neighbours had their house rewired. When the electrician took out the old wiring in the loft, he was left holding just the copper which had been lying in rubbery powder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,191Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin