Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wig
    • By Wig 7th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 13,581Posts
    • 7,342Thanks
    Wig
    Motor Insurance - commuting to work
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    Motor Insurance - commuting to work 7th Jul 17 at 8:14 PM
    Hi I forget what our forum's resident insurance expert was called, Began with "D" IIRC

Anyway, Travelling to and from a place of work.

My policy says:
    "including commuting to a single place of work, provided no business visits are made on the way"

Other Insurance Policies say
    "commuting to a permanent place of work"

Scenario,
    I work in office A in Town A... most of the time.

But I may be asked to work in office B in town B sometimes.

I either go
    HOME >>> office A >>>> HOME
    or
    HOME >>> office B >>>> HOME
    Am I insured to do this?

My interpretation of my policy is that it means I can go to any single place of work each day, be that office A or office B.

What do you think?

What about policies that say a permanent place of work?

What does your policy say?

Has anyone asked their insurer for clarification on this?
    Last edited by Wig; 07-07-2017 at 8:16 PM.
    My latest discovery, LSAT test questions online, logical questions, fun to do. Find example and past tests online, start at the LSAC.org website.
Page 1
    • loskie
    • By loskie 7th Jul 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    loskie
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:21 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:21 PM
    no you are only covered to go to your SINGLE main place of work and then home. You cannot even drop the post off at the Post Office on the way home. You cannot drive to work funded training courses at other locations.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 15,754 Posts
    • 14,050 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    Hi I forget what our forum's resident insurance expert was called, Began with "D" IIRC

Anyway, Travelling to and from a place of work.

My policy says:
    "including commuting to a single place of work, provided no business visits are made on the way"

Other Insurance Policies say
    "commuting to a permanent place of work"

Scenario,
    I work in office A in Town A... most of the time.
    Originally posted by Wig
    Covered.

But I may be asked to work in office B in town B sometimes.
    Not covered.

Your employer is asking you not to go to your permanent place of work - office A, your base - but to go to a different site instead, for their business reasons.

You want business use. You'll almost certainly find it costs you very little extra.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 7th Jul 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,711 Posts
    • 4,394 Thanks
    Mobeer
    This old thread may help:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2176551
    • iolanthe07
    • By iolanthe07 8th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    • 4,926 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    iolanthe07
    • 8th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 2:54 PM
    Adding business use to my policy only cost £10 a year extra. I expected it to be much more than that.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 8th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 9,603 Posts
    • 7,007 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    With Direct Line it has never cost me any extra to have class I business cover added. Even though I don't use the car to commute, better to have it at policy inception for £0 extra than be stung with an "admin fee" if it's needed mid term.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• facade
    • By facade 8th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 2,935 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    facade
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    I always claim not to have business use, and therefore cannot leave the building in my own car during the day, or travel to any training venues/visit other sites unless someone else drives me, or they lend me a vehicle.

My car is for my convenience, not theirs
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 8th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    Maybe not as clear cut as people are saying with that wording. If you leave home, go to site A, then go home, you've commuted to a single place of work.

If you leave home, go to site B, then go home, you've also commuted to a single place of work. The fact it's a different place than yesterday makes no more difference than if you'd left your old job and started a new one (of the same description obviously!), which you wouldn't have to tell your insurer.

If, on the other hand, you leave home, go to site A, move on to site B after lunch, then go home, you haven't commuted to a single place of work.

Careless wording by the policy writer if they intended meaning a "single permanent place of work" and, given the general principle that a reasonable interpretation in favour of the consumer in a b2C contract should prevail, I suspect that if you ever had reason to fight the case you'd be on pretty solid ground.

That said, like others above, class 1 business use has made no difference to my premium over the past several years so it'd be easier in the long run to get it included - certainly easier than arguing the toss when they try to say you weren't insured!
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 8th Jul 17, 5:08 PM
    • 20,290 Posts
    • 12,532 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:08 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:08 PM
    Maybe not as clear cut as people are saying with that wording. If you leave home, go to site A, then go home, you've commuted to a single place of work.

If you leave home, go to site B, then go home, you've also commuted to a single place of work. The fact it's a different place than yesterday makes no more difference than if you'd left your old job and started a new one (of the same description obviously!), which you wouldn't have to tell your insurer.

If, on the other hand, you leave home, go to site A, move on to site B after lunch, then go home, you haven't commuted to a single place of work.

Careless wording by the policy writer if they intended meaning a "single permanent place of work" and, given the general principle that a reasonable interpretation in favour of the consumer in a b2C contract should prevail, I suspect that if you ever had reason to fight the case you'd be on pretty solid ground.
    Originally posted by Joe Horner
    What the Insurer asked in the question when the OP took out the cover along with any explanation attached to that question would also need to be taken into account
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 8th Jul 17, 6:11 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I always claim not to have business use, and therefore cannot leave the building in my own car during the day, or travel to any training venues/visit other sites unless someone else drives me, or they lend me a vehicle.

My car is for my convenience, not theirs
    Originally posted by facade
    Exactly. Why should those who commute by car be treated differently to those employees that dont drive!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 8th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 3,672 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    What the Insurer asked in the question when the OP took out the cover along with any explanation attached to that question would also need to be taken into account
    Originally posted by dacouch
    Agreed.

But, given the potentially serious consequences of (say) a prosecution for being uninsured, or an accident where the insurer decided that cover wasn't in force because of this, it would need to be fairly explicit questioning regarding work patterns to negate the presumption of favourable reading. I've certainly never been asked about specific work places on any application over the past 30+ years - doesn't mean that no insurers ask but it cant be common!

Anyway, in a practical sense, far FAR easier just to let them know ahead of time and take your business elsewhere if they don't behave reasonably
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 32,769 Posts
    • 27,501 Thanks
    custardy
    I always add business cover to my policies.
    I often have to work in various locations and technically hardly work at my official 'home' office.
    Doesnt really add much to the policy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,771Posts Today

5,981Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin