Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 1trainer1
    • By 1trainer1 7th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,746Thanks
    1trainer1
    0 WOW
    Canada Vs New Zealand
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:53 PM
    0 WOW
    Canada Vs New Zealand 7th Jul 17 at 7:53 PM
    for our 2018 big holiday we are thinking either 3 weeks in Canada or New Zealand and was wondering what are the pro's and con's for both.

We are going to be going with our 4 year old daughter so want something that can interest her and was thinking of hiring a camper van and driving to see as much of the country as we can
    Blessed on 18th February at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
Page 1
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 8th Jul 17, 3:19 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:19 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:19 AM
    There is an easy answer and that all depends on when you intend to go.
    If in our winter, New Zealand. If in our Summer, Canada.

But overall I would say New Zealand, as it is weird and wonderful. Plus three weeks isn't that much and Canada is huge.
    Lastly, New Zealand is so far away, that it is less likely that you would go there again soon. Whereas one can pop over to Canada much more easily.
    So, New Zealand. But it isn't cheap.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 8th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 2,888 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    I would suggest Canada as the flight to NZ is 24 hours plus which is a very long time for a 4 year old who may well not appreciate all that NZ may have to offer.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 8th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 17,919 Posts
    • 13,591 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:53 AM
    Both replies make very good points. I'd probably edge toward's Alan's choice of Canada, but there is no way you can (or should) see much of the country in 3 weeks so I'd concentrate on one part, either the West - Vancouver, Vancouver Island, up the coast, parts of the Rockies - or the East - Toronto/Montreal/Quebec City or Nova Scotia/Newfoundland/PEI depending on what you want to see.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 8th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 4,934 Posts
    • 3,976 Thanks
    blindman
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    To me it's a no brainier with 3 weeks

Canada.

NZ is too far for only 3 weeks IMHO.

Your 4 year old may not appreciate 3 weeks in a camper van at either place.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 8th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    • 6,590 Posts
    • 8,084 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:36 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:36 PM

Originally posted by blindman
    I'd have loved it at that age.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 8th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 6,934 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    Two weeks in western Canada with an Alaskan cruise for week three.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 8th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    • 8th Jul 17, 7:07 PM
    To me it's a no brainier with 3 weeks

Canada.

NZ is too far for only 3 weeks IMHO.

Originally posted by blindman
    I went to New Zealand for three weeks.
    • maisie06
    • By maisie06 9th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    maisie06
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    Whichever you decide you will have an AMAZING time! We had this dilemma too and chose Canada simply due to travel time. We had 3 weeks to fit our holiday into and flights to Vancouver were just under 10 hours compared to NZ being 24 hours travel minimum...I would love to go to NZ one day though...

Canada is an amazing country, awe inspiring landscapes and self drive is a doddle and the freedom it gives you is unrivalled, I wouldn't have liked to have been on a coach tour as the inlaws did as they only got glimpses before moving on again, whereas we found places to explore more off the beaten track.

The Vancouver to Calgary route is really something else - we ended up going twice!! The first trip we did Vancouver, Whistler - use BC 99 Duffy lake road and head up to Jasper via Clearwater- the scenery is just stunning = it's literally wow at every bend!

I cannot recommend Canada enough, it's friendly people, stunning landscapes and so much to do, it's expensive but for a special holiday I would say just go for it!
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 10th Jul 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    It depends what you want to see and do really.

New Zealand has everything to do at Queenstown, swimming with dolphins at kaikoura I think it was, hot water beach where the waters hot under the sand and many other things inbetween

Canada - only done the east side but there's whale watching in todussac, Quebec City and Montreal are really cool, lots of canoeing and outdoor things to do (same with both really).

I weren't that struck on New Zealand but I think i was spoilt by australia so would have appreciated it more doing it on its own
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 stone 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs 20lbs lost 64lb to go
    2) to find new challenges
    Help others by &say hello to at least 1 person a day
    • 1trainer1
    • By 1trainer1 11th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,746 Thanks
    1trainer1
    Thanks Everyone
    Would Love to do Both as our daughter is going to start school in September 2018 so know once school starts the only time of doing trips like this will be in school holidays which will be very expensive.

We are edging more towards New Zealand as we know if we go we are only going to go once whereas Canada we feel we could go a few times due to how close it is.

we are still debating as we may even do both next year.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Jul 17, 11:10 AM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 5,439 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Would Love to do Both as our daughter is going to start school in September 2018 so know once school starts the only time of doing trips like this will be in school holidays which will be very expensive.

We are edging more towards New Zealand as we know if we go we are only going to go once whereas Canada we feel we could go a few times due to how close it is.

Originally posted by 1trainer1
    Well we're going to NZ for 2.5 weeks so I can report back if you like - though we aren't going until December (if you can wait that long!)
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • 1trainer1
    • By 1trainer1 11th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,746 Thanks
    1trainer1
    Well we're going to NZ for 2.5 weeks so I can report back if you like - though we aren't going until December (if you can wait that long!)
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Please do and i'm sure you can give me some tips on where to go, Have you prebooked anything?

We are going to book flights and probably a campervan and then leave everything till we get there.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 11th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 385 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    WAYT
    Please do and i'm sure you can give me some tips on where to go, Have you prebooked anything?

We are going to book flights and probably a campervan and then leave everything till we get there.
    As I wrote before, make sure you travel in the season most suited to your personality. I don't like the cold and since you are going to spend a fair bit of time outdoors, perhaps you won't either.
    New Zealand is actually really weird. On the one hand the sun will be burning your skin through the window, but wind the window down or step out of the car and a freezing wind can hit you. But then you can jump half naked in a natural hot spring.

Honestly, three weeks isn't nearly enough. We rented a 4x4 but utilised Airbnb instead of a camper van. In that time we didn't even cover half of the North Island.
    Though perhaps you'll just keep moving when in a camper van.
    We travelled late November, early December. December to Feb would seem to be a good time to visit.
    http://www.newzealand.com/in/feature/new-zealand-climate-and-weather/
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 11th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 11,987 Posts
    • 9,944 Thanks
    zagfles

It's not necessarily expensive in the school holidays, it depends when the local peak season is. We went to NZ in August and it was cheap, accomodation and eating out were a lot cheaper then here. Typically around £50-60 for a 2 bed motel room for 4 people and eating out generally around £50 for 4.

We spent a lot because we did expensive stuff like adventure sports but presume you won't be doing that with a 4 year old!

Weather wasn't bad either, we only went to the north island and in Northlands it was better weather, warmer and sunnier, than it is here in Manchester today! OK that may not be saying much Friends of ours went over new year and had non stop rain.

Loads to see and do, the thermal baths, geothermal parks and glowworm caves would probably interest a young child.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 2,486 Posts
    • 5,439 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime

will do though I'm not sure my advice will be of any use as we're actually flying to Sydney and going on a cruise around NZ.

We did initially think of doing what you're doing but when we priced up the campervan it was horrendously expensive so doing it this way seemed to be the more cost effective way of doing it, especially as everywhere that we probably wanted to go was a port of call anyway

Perhaps the cost of hiring the van will be the determining factor?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • dondo
    • By dondo 12th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    dondo
    We did 3 weeks in NZ in 2015 with our 2 kids who were 8 and 6 and the time and really enjoyed it. Our whole trip was 3.5 weeks as we stopped off at Singapore there and back. Can highly recommend both Singapore airlines and Singapore as a stop off point. If time is tight you can always just spend a bit of time in a transit hotel at the airport between flights.

We did a pretty whistle-stop tour of the South Island- just over a week before spending a bit more time on the North Island as we had more family to visit there.

As others have said it is their winter so felt a bit weird packing warm clothes for a summer holiday! But it was a truly fantastic holiday.

One thing I would say though is maybe reconsider the campervan idea.

We did think about that but it was quite expensive to hire one and they now add an environmental tax onto the hire based on the number of miles you do. We hired a car and stayed in motels if we weren't staying with family. Motels are plentiful and reasonably priced and more often will mean a separate room for your child.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 12th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 17,881 Posts
    • 7,296 Thanks
    richardw
    New Zealand has a good number of internal domestic flights, so utilise these to save time driving big distances http://www.jetstar.com/nz/en/destinations/new-zealand
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 12th Jul 17, 11:50 AM
    • 4,270 Posts
    • 5,347 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Me and the cook did a month in a campervan in NZ in November 2003.

Hired the van privately to help keep costs down.

Started in Auckland, taking a week to get down to Wellington for the ferry across to Picton.

Two weeks on South Island, got as far south as Queenstown.

Final week back on North Island.

I did all the driving, which was a negative for me.

I hadn't factored in that NZ local councils are fairly insistent that you use a camp site overnight, and the cost soon builds up.
    • 1trainer1
    • By 1trainer1 18th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,746 Thanks
    1trainer1
    No More Campervan
    After speaking to a few people we have decided against the campervan idea due to costs of campsite's.

We have now decided on driving a car and with both of us driving we can share the driving and we will look at staying in motels.

It is now also going to be early march so we will start looking at flights and then look at hotel or motel passes as if we can get hotels/ motels for about £70 a night on average we will have done well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

177Posts Today

1,317Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin