Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SCO
    • By SCO 7th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 709Posts
    • 143Thanks
    SCO
    TV choices instead of sky?
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    TV choices instead of sky? 7th Jul 17 at 7:18 PM
    I can get a 40% reduction seems to be the limit on my sky £22.80 a month

I'm open to any of the new providers not in a cable area.

Recommendations? for a cheaper deal.
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 29,977 Posts
    • 18,984 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    Depends what your after ?

What are you getting for the £22.80pm ?

There's BT and TalkTalk and thats for providers. There is Freeview or Freesat for free options.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • SCO
    • By SCO 8th Jul 17, 12:00 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    SCO
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:00 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:00 AM
    Depends what your after ?

What are you getting for the £22.80pm ?

There's BT and TalkTalk and thats for providers. There is Freeview or Freesat for free options.
    Originally posted by DCFC79

variety and boxsets

recently signed up for bt broadband.
    • SCO
    • By SCO 8th Jul 17, 12:01 AM
    • 709 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    SCO
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:01 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 12:01 AM
    prob don't watch most channels but easy to record etc on sky box
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 8th Jul 17, 5:03 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:03 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 5:03 AM
    Get a freeview or freesat recorder and Nowtv. That will be the cheapest option.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    I can get a 40% reduction seems to be the limit on my sky £22.80 a month

I'm open to any of the new providers not in a cable area.

Recommendations? for a cheaper deal.
    Originally posted by SCO
    Ask for a cancellation and then hit live chat as many times as it takes, 60% is your target. You may even get that as an offer on the box itself if you go to 'my offers'.
    • SCO
    • By SCO 15th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    SCO
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    what do you get with freesat over freeview
    • SCO
    • By SCO 15th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    SCO
    • 15th Jul 17, 4:03 PM

humax best?
    • SCO
    • By SCO 15th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    SCO
    seen them on currys up to £200
    • prowla
    • By prowla 15th Jul 17, 5:24 PM
    • 9,550 Posts
    • 7,582 Thanks
    prowla
    I have to say that, for me, Sky is just an excellent product.
    I don't have any optional extras and I never do PPV.
    I do sometimes consider just stopping watching TV altogether, though.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 17th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 7,020 Posts
    • 2,803 Thanks
    almillar
    what do you get with freesat over freeview
    The main difference is that freesat comes through a satellite dish, freeview through an aerial. If you've already got a dish (like you, on Sky), freesat will be easiest. If you've already got an aerial, Freeview is easiest. If you've got both, you can choose. Freesat has many more channels (I didn't say they were GOOD channels!) but misses out on 'Dave' for example, compared to Freeview.
    humax best?
    They're very good, yes, and especially for Freesat, there's not much other choice. You can go older for cheaper if you don't need the on-demand stuff - you might already have that via your TV or PS3 etc.
    • SCO
    • By SCO 25th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    SCO
    what still works if I cancel sky? will I only lose sky channels?
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 26th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 736 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    what still works if I cancel sky? will I only lose sky channels?
    Originally posted by SCO
    If you cancel Sky you lose the Sky+ functionality and the channels you get are basically similar to those with Freesat and maybe a few others too. Your recordings from channels that you pay for will not be viewable either.

You can continue to pay at the last count £10 a month for the Sky+ function but realistically it'll be cheaper in the long run for a Freesat receiver with the same functionality.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 26th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 8,241 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    teddysmum
    On their website, Humax sell guaranteed, reconditioned, latest model boxes at much lower prices than you'd pay for a brand new box from such as Richer Sounds. (eg £139 compared to £179).
    Last edited by teddysmum; 26-07-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 26th Jul 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    The main difference is that freesat comes through a satellite dish, freeview through an aerial. If you've already got a dish (like you, on Sky), freesat will be easiest. If you've already got an aerial, Freeview is easiest. If you've got both, you can choose. Freesat has many more channels (I didn't say they were GOOD channels!) but misses out on 'Dave' for example, compared to Freeview.

They're very good, yes, and especially for Freesat, there's not much other choice. You can go older for cheaper if you don't need the on-demand stuff - you might already have that via your TV or PS3 etc.
    Originally posted by almillar
    Dave is coming to Freesat on 1st August along with Home.

https://www.freesat.co.uk/about-freesat/whats-new
    • almillar
    • By almillar 26th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 7,020 Posts
    • 2,803 Thanks
    almillar
    Yep, saw that announcement the day after my post, I think! I think they're about equal on the 'quality' channels now.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 26th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 4,035 Posts
    • 5,107 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Sky is just an excellent product.
    Originally posted by prowla
    It would be if you could just buy what you want, the problem is that they divide up all the good stuff and put it in separate packages padded out with dross. If you want all the good stuff you have to buy every package. The problem for them is that if they put all the good stuff together in one package nobody would buy the rest.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 26th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    It would be if you could just buy what you want, the problem is that they divide up all the good stuff and put it in separate packages padded out with dross. If you want all the good stuff you have to buy every package. The problem for them is that if they put all the good stuff together in one package nobody would buy the rest.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    They used to have various packs, I think it was six, similar to the NowTV line-up and you could pick what you wanted. Unfortunately for whatever reason they scrapped all that and replaced them with what they have now, Basic, Variety and Family.

Course, going back even further it was more complicated back in the analogue days where you could buy this + that for something and get a bonus channel or two in the process.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 29th Jul 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4,994 Posts
    • 5,144 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    I've had Sky since 1990, with one or two very small breaks when I've moved house. My last deal with them, which was the fifth in a row, was £43 for what was called Sky World in HD.

But in April, I moved into a conservative area where satellite dishes are not allowed, so Sky was cancelled.

I bought a second hand BT YouView box off eBay for £38, and have been using Freeview ever since. To be honest, I haven't missed Sky at all. I can still get BT Sports Lite as I'm with BT broadband and can cast it from the BT Sport App on my iPhone. (My son is using my old Sky box as Freesat from Sky and he can get BT Sports Lite as well).

Fortunately, I can get excellent broadband so I've subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime, and there's always something to watch if needed.

I may start missing Sky again when the Premier League starts up again, but even then I've only ever watched the City and United matches plus other top of the table clashes, so averaging one match a week. Certainly not worth paying out £43 a month for!

I've been inundated with offers to return to Sky with offers of 60% off, but I'm not interested.
    "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery." Mr Wilkins Micawber in David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 29th Jul 17, 7:28 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Just get a now TV sports pass when there's a game you want.
    The picture quality on NowTv is perfectly acceptable.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,814Posts Today

7,917Users online

Martin's Twitter