Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • valerie57
    • By valerie57 7th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    • 139Posts
    • 1,899Thanks
    valerie57
    Injured by threading beauty treatment
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:38 PM
    Injured by threading beauty treatment 7th Jul 17 at 6:38 PM
    I am looking for some advice please. Three months ago I had some facial hair removed by threading in a Beauty Bar housed within Superdrug. I have had this treatment many times without ill effect. On this occasion the beautician was savage and cut my face in several places. My whole face came out in a bad reaction which lasted for best part of a week. I wrote to the complaints department at Superdrug and enclosed photographs. It has taken over 13 weeks of persistence to get a reply. The reply is brief and basically says that sometimes a reaction happens, it can be influenced by hormones (I'm 62&#128514 and offers me £30 to go with the £20 of vouchers I had already been provided with. There is no acknowledgement that this is much more than a rash and that the photos show cuts.
    I am still angry, not least with the casual way the Brow Bar appear to view the incident. Should I just let this lie or do more. And if more what options are available to me now. Thanks for reading.
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 7th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 11,609 Posts
    • 8,741 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    What options are you looking for?

Legally speaking, you're entitled to be reimbursed for any losses you have suffered. You haven't mentioned what those are yet so the £50 compensation they've offered seems more than adequate at present.

This is also assuming the beautician has been negligent. A professional isn't necessarily liable just because something goes wrong, only if they have failed to carry out their duties with reasonable care & skill. That can really only be answered by a court as there are a lot of factors taken into consideration.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 7th Jul 17, 7:23 PM
    • 4,732 Posts
    • 7,521 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:23 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:23 PM
    What are you hoping for as an outcome from this?
    • valerie57
    • By valerie57 7th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 1,899 Thanks
    valerie57
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 7:43 PM
    These are good questions. I would like the Brow Bar to acknowledge that this treatment was far from normal, apologise and ensure that their beautician is spoken to. She may need retraining. But they won't accept anything has gone wrong �� I would like an apology. Money is less of a driver but I think Superdrug could put a nice hamper together.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 7th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 8,862 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    You could buy yourself a "nice hamper" with the £50 they have offered.

What sum are you actually looking for? They aren't going to fall over themselves to apologise in case you then try to take further action and use it against them. Might seem like poor customer service but is the downside of the compensation culture.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 7th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 15,393 Posts
    • 21,016 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    Accept the money, but insist on an apology too.

At least it wasn't your bikini line...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • SuperHan
    • By SuperHan 7th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    SuperHan
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    You'll probably find it has been fed back and action has been taken. They won't shout it from the rooftops incase you use it as evidence in court in future. I'd take the £50 and be happy with it.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 7th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 8,862 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 11:12 PM
    Accept the money, but insist on an apology too.

At least it wasn't your bikini line...
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    I once had an underarm wax 2 days before I went on holiday. Rolled on deodorant the morning we were leaving ..... and screamed the house down. The beautician had failed to remove the hair with the first wax so had to do it twice and removed the top layer of skin too. A week in 30+ degrees of heat was extremely uncomfortable as it stung like hell. Surprisingly I never went back to that salon.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Jul 17, 8:39 AM
    • 15,637 Posts
    • 11,445 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:39 AM
    • 8th Jul 17, 8:39 AM
    I once had an underarm wax 2 days before I went on holiday. Rolled on deodorant the morning we were leaving ..... and screamed the house down. The beautician had failed to remove the hair with the first wax so had to do it twice and removed the top layer of skin too. A week in 30+ degrees of heat was extremely uncomfortable as it stung like hell. Surprisingly I never went back to that salon.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    I had a similar experience with newly trained owner of a salon. She used the roll on wax which was evidently too hot and burned me, only realised next day. Voted with my feet too.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 8th Jul 17, 1:35 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    I am looking for some advice please. Three months ago I had some facial hair removed by threading in a Beauty Bar housed within Superdrug. I have had this treatment many times without ill effect. On this occasion the beautician was savage and cut my face in several places. My whole face came out in a bad reaction which lasted for best part of a week. I wrote to the complaints department at Superdrug and enclosed photographs. It has taken over 13 weeks of persistence to get a reply. The reply is brief and basically says that sometimes a reaction happens, it can be influenced by hormones (I'm 62&#128514 and offers me £30 to go with the £20 of vouchers I had already been provided with. There is no acknowledgement that this is much more than a rash and that the photos show cuts.
    I am still angry, not least with the casual way the Brow Bar appear to view the incident. Should I just let this lie or do more. And if more what options are available to me now. Thanks for reading.
    Originally posted by valerie57
    Did you speak to the beatician at the time regarding the "several cuts"? What did they say?
    How long after you left did the rash appear?
    Did you seek or receive any medical treatment?
    How much did the procedure cost?
    • valerie57
    • By valerie57 8th Jul 17, 2:55 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 1,899 Thanks
    valerie57
    No I didn't speak to her. I was in a hurry and quite shocked. I just got out. She said something like the redness will go down. When I got home approximately an hour later I realised it was more than a reaction to the treatment. I took photos then and the day after which I sent to Superdrug. I didn't seek or receive any medical treatment other than from a Pharmacist. I bought some soothing and antiseptic cream from him. The treatment cost £19.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 8th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    No I didn't speak to her. I was in a hurry and quite shocked. I just got out. She said something like the redness will go down. When I got home approximately an hour later I realised it was more than a reaction to the treatment. I took photos then and the day after which I sent to Superdrug. I didn't seek or receive any medical treatment other than from a Pharmacist. I bought some soothing and antiseptic cream from him. The treatment cost £19.
    Originally posted by valerie57

So did you not make contact with the beautician and advise you've had an allergic reaction? They could have advised if they had used anything different so you could establish what had caused the reaction.

What did the pharmacist advise it was? What did they sell you that cost £19?

How much did the threading cost you?
    • valerie57
    • By valerie57 8th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 1,899 Thanks
    valerie57
    Sorry, my reply has misled. The threading cost £19. The cream I bought was about £6. Threading doesn't use products - just thread so there is nothing there that could cause a reaction.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 8th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    GwylimT
    So did you not make contact with the beautician and advise you've had an allergic reaction? They could have advised if they had used anything different so you could establish what had caused the reaction.

What did the pharmacist advise it was? What did they sell you that cost £19?

How much did the threading cost you?
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    I very much doubt the OP is allergic to string.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 8th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 4,829 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    I very much doubt the OP is allergic to string.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    Well she's obviously allergic to something.
    • montyrebel
    • By montyrebel 8th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    montyrebel
    buy a razor and move on?
    mortui non mordent
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 8th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 15,637 Posts
    • 11,445 Thanks
    hollydays
    I've never had threading done, but googling suggests that failing to stretch the skin when threading, or threading too quickly, can cause cuts, i.e. Inexperienced beautician, also that unsterilised threads can cause infection i.e. Threads should be sterilised and not used on another customer without doing so.
    Scissors should also be sterilised and hands washed frequently. They are expected to carry out the procedure with reasonable care and skill.

If you are in written communication with them, I'd be asking them for more details of the ' hormone' issue, as you are more than prepared to check with your doctor if this is the case.

Also google suggests staph infections can be the result of poor threading
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Staphylococcal-infections/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Do you think you should visit your doctor?
    Last edited by hollydays; 08-07-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 9th Jul 17, 10:39 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    In the nicest way, accept the £50 and move on. This is why...

You will find that nearly all beauty and medical organisations will never admit liability when things go wrong. Quite simply, if they did so then they could be opening themselves up to a much bigger claim for compensation. They will often offer a goodwill gesture though.

While it is annoying that this has happened and you were left with some cuts for a week or so, I would politely suggest that you won't get anymore from them (and that includes an apology) unless you want to pursue the matter in court. But really, is it worth the time and energy considering that no long term harm was done and the original cost was fairly minimal in the grand scheme of things? I really don't think it is.

Also, for anyone else reading this, if you are ever faced with a similar problem - complain there and then to the most senior person on site and make a note of who you spoke to and at what time. It is a uniquely British thing to walk away from a problem and then complain like hell once you're removed from the situation.
    • photome
    • By photome 9th Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 12,844 Posts
    • 8,313 Thanks
    photome
    Being male, I don't know what threading does but I seen the therapist with the thread in her mouth and though uurggh that doesn't look very hygienic especially if it is then reused.

What does threading achieve

I am also guessing there is no regulation
    • valerie57
    • By valerie57 10th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 1,899 Thanks
    valerie57
    Thank you all for your advice. It is all sound and I'm really grateful for it. I am still cross that no apology is forthcoming and that the Brow Bar seem to treat the matter with indifference. But I think you are right and it is time to move on. I will do that today. Thanks again.
    PS for photome it removes facial hair in a longer lasting way than creams and razors.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,370Posts Today

8,036Users online

Martin's Twitter