Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • viczs123
    • By viczs123 7th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 3Thanks
    viczs123
    Letter from dwp
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    Letter from dwp 7th Jul 17 at 5:02 PM
    ive had a letter from DWP today asking me to go in for an interview on july the 19th as they are reviewing my benefits and circumstances.
    it also says we need to talk to you about some changes that may affect your benefit payments.
    ive been asked to take in ID and bank statements and also my partners if I have one.
    I have been claiming contribution based jsa since march and it isn't a joint claim so why do they need partners bank statements.
    obviously im concerned why they want to see me.
    would be grateful for any feedback or knowledge on this matter.
    thanks in advance
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    ive had a letter from DWP today asking me to go in for an interview on july the 19th as they are reviewing my benefits and circumstances.
    it also says we need to talk to you about some changes that may affect your benefit payments.
    ive been asked to take in ID and bank statements and also my partners if I have one.
    I have been claiming contribution based jsa since march and it isn't a joint claim so why do they need partners bank statements.
    thanks in advance
    Originally posted by viczs123
    It's more than likely a review to check you're claiming what you should be claiming, pretty much a standard letter. If you haven't done anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about. As for your partners bank statements, like you said it did say (if you have one) well if you don't have a partner then you can't take the statements in can you? Just make sure you take in what they ask.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 7th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 2,690 Thanks
    Newly retired
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    It sounds as if they are reviewing your circumstances as your contributions-based claim is about to run out, after 26 weeks. Your eligibility for income-based JSA will depend on your household income, so they need to know about your partner's income and capital as well as yours.
    • viczs123
    • By viczs123 7th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    viczs123
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    dwp letter
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    Thanks for your replies. my mind has gone into overdrive about it. my contribution based jsa runs out about 18th of September.
    I don't think I will qualify for income based
    • Riamac
    • By Riamac 7th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Riamac
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    Letter from dwp
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    thanks in advance

Please, please do not take this wrong way. In my experience the DWP want to make sure that the answers you have given, are actually true. For example if you say you suffer from a back problem and turn up at the interview wearing high heels and carrying a heavy handbag you will most certainly not receive the benefit you have claimed! A bit of an extreme example I know but you get the idea. The reason for the passport or some other ID is to prove who you say you are. I only know about Income related ESA but I would take a guess that they need to see both bank statements to prove your income is as stated. If I am wrong then someone more knowledgeable will correct me and keep you on the right track. Please do not worry about it, but remember to tell them about your worst days and not your best!
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    Please, please do not take this wrong way. In my experience the DWP want to make sure that the answers you have given, are actually true. For example if you say you suffer from a back problem and turn up at the interview wearing high heels and carrying a heavy handbag you will most certainly not receive the benefit you have claimed! A bit of an extreme example I know but you get the idea. The reason for the passport or some other ID is to prove who you say you are. I only know about Income related ESA but I would take a guess that they need to see both bank statements to prove your income is as stated. If I am wrong then someone more knowledgeable will correct me and keep you on the right track. Please do not worry about it, but remember to tell them about your worst days and not your best!
    Originally posted by Riamac
    Sorry but what does back problems have related to claiming contribution based JSA? You're talking about ESA, the OP isn't claiming ESA. Also the OP doesn't have a partner as stated in the opening post.
    • viczs123
    • By viczs123 7th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    viczs123
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    dwp letter
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    thanks for the replies.
    just to clarify I do have a partner I live with. what I meant was he isn't claiming benefits he works . that's what I meant by it isn't a joint claim
    • Riamac
    • By Riamac 7th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Riamac
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    Sorry but what does back problems have related to claiming contribution based JSA?

For example if you say you suffer from a back problem and turn up at the interview wearing high heels and carrying a heavy handbag you will most certainly not receive the benefit you have claimed! A bit of an extreme example I know but you get the idea.
    I appreciate the point I was trying to make may not have been crystal clear. I believed to get JSA you had to prove you were actively looking for work. The example I gave which I acknowledged was extreme, could prove that many jobs were not suitable for various reasons.

[I]You're talking about ESA, the OP isn't claiming ESA.

I only know about Income related ESA but I would take a guess that they need to see both bank statements to prove your income is as stated. If I am wrong then someone more knowledgeable will correct me and keep you on the right track.

I hope my answers are clearer now and those with factual details can keep all of us informed of details that are helpful to those who are worried about any official letters from the DWP or any other government backed company.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    thanks for the replies.
    just to clarify I do have a partner I live with. what I meant was he isn't claiming benefits he works . that's what I meant by it isn't a joint claim
    As you have a partner then you'll need to take everything they ask for, including bankstatements from your partner.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 7th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Sorry but what does back problems have related to claiming contribution based JSA?

For example if you say you suffer from a back problem and turn up at the interview wearing high heels and carrying a heavy handbag you will most certainly not receive the benefit you have claimed! A bit of an extreme example I know but you get the idea.
    I appreciate the point I was trying to make may not have been crystal clear. I believed to get JSA you had to prove you were actively looking for work. The example I gave which I acknowledged was extreme, could prove that many jobs were not suitable for various reasons.

[I]You're talking about ESA, the OP isn't claiming ESA.

I only know about Income related ESA but I would take a guess that they need to see both bank statements to prove your income is as stated. If I am wrong then someone more knowledgeable will correct me and keep you on the right track.

I hope my answers are clearer now and those with factual details can keep all of us informed of details that are helpful to those who are worried about any official letters from the DWP or any other government backed company.
    Originally posted by Riamac
    Your posts bear no relation to the OP's situation. They are not on ESA, they make no mention of disability, and they are on a contributions based benefit.

It's you that needs to keep on the right track!
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 8th Jul 17, 12:39 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 2,592 Thanks
    dippy3103
    As you have a partner then you'll need to take everything they ask for, including bankstatements from your partner.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    If you are on contribution based JSA then you do not have to provide and proof of your partners income or bank accounts.
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 8th Jul 17, 1:06 AM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 2,833 Thanks
    Londonsu
    If you are on contribution based JSA then you do not have to provide and proof of your partners income or bank accounts.
    Originally posted by dippy3103

This is what I too would be querying the OP has stated their partner works and they are on cont based JSA so their partners income is not relevant, however once that finishes they would have to claim Income based and its only then their partners income is taken into account and it has to be a joint claim but surely if the partners income exceeds the amount the government says a couple needs to live on which is 114.85 then there will be no income based claim.

The only thing I can think would be relevant is if the OPs partner is claiming other benefits like tax credits or HB so would be something to do with UC
    • viczs123
    • By viczs123 8th Jul 17, 9:18 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    viczs123
    dwp letter
    No my partner doesn't claim any benefits.
    Can someone else clarify/confirm the situation of not having to provide proof of partners income when a person's claiming contribution based jsa
    Thanks
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    poppy12345
    No my partner doesn't claim any benefits.
    Can someone else clarify/confirm the situation of not having to provide proof of partners income when a person's claiming contribution based jsa
    Thanks
    No you do not have to provide proof of your partners income when claiming Contribution based JSA.
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 8th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 2,690 Thanks
    Newly retired
    No, but as I said earlier, it looks as though cbJSA is coming to an end soon, so OP is probably going to be reassessed for income based JSA based on household income and capital.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,539 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    poppy12345
    No, but as I said earlier, it looks as though cbJSA is coming to an end soon, so OP is probably going to be reassessed for income based JSA based on household income and capital.
    Originally posted by Newly retired
    There's still 2 months to go on the CB JSA...
    • Londonsu
    • By Londonsu 8th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,327 Posts
    • 2,833 Thanks
    Londonsu
    There's still 2 months to go on the CB JSA...
    Originally posted by poppy12345

And if the OP has no intention of claiming IB benefits after that time and her partner is not claiming any in work benefits like tax credits that might fall under universal credit rules, why should the DWP want the details of a someone not claiming and has no intention of claiming
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 8th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    I read a DWP job advert the other day that said they wanted a person that would make sure people are getting everything they are entitled to.

Perhaps that is what is happening in this situation they are verifying whether or not he would be entitled to it - they don't want to be in a situation where somebody didn't know they were entitled to it (and therefore didn't claim) and it later transpires they were able to claim it but nobody checked.
    • *TwilightDelight*
    • By *TwilightDelight* 9th Jul 17, 11:18 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    *TwilightDelight*
    not sure how you can claim benefits if your partner is working? hate to say this but they may be doing you for benefit fraud
    • newbutold
    • By newbutold 9th Jul 17, 11:42 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 1,047 Thanks
    newbutold
    not sure how you can claim benefits if your partner is working? hate to say this but they may be doing you for benefit fraud
    Originally posted by *TwilightDelight*
    If it's contribution based benefits, then you can claim without committing benefit fraud. It is only once the contribution based time frame ends and you fall into the income based benefit, does your partners work status/income amount come into the claim.
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,711Posts Today

7,688Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin