Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • briley
    • By briley 7th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 3Thanks
    briley
    In-car notification of speed limit
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    In-car notification of speed limit 7th Jul 17 at 4:30 PM
    I was looking at a nifty device, a Snooper MY-SPEED XL, that shows the current speed limit. Now in these days of speed limits changing every couple of yards I thought it could be useful.

It costs around £100.

Then I saw a number of Dash Cams that have GPS that could do the same thing and give me a dash cam for the same price. But the majority only talk about warning of speed cameras - something I tend to disprove of.

Anyone aware of a dash cam that can also tell me the current speed limit? Possibly also beep if I am going too fast.
Page 2
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Jul 17, 5:23 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 2,219 Thanks
    cjdavies
    Seeing as this is money saving, I wouldn't waste my money on something so simple.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 8th Jul 17, 3:11 PM
    • 9,559 Posts
    • 6,952 Thanks
    Crabman
    Here Maps for Android/iOS has this feature, it's a free app and you can download maps to enable offline mode (no data usage). I'm surprised Google Maps has yet to add speed limits.

Sadly, the user interface of Here Maps is awful.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 8th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    Get married. You will then be presented with a whole array of driving aids. You will be told the speed limit. If you are too slow, too fast round an island, too small a gap, too big a gap.

You name it and you will get advice on it.
    Originally posted by waamo
    I've got one of these sat nag systems!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 8th Jul 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    Robisere
    It's not Rocket Science!

* None of these gadgets, Satnav or otherwise, are ever up to date.
    * They do not give accurate readings.
    * There are signs on every road, telling you the speed limit on that road.
    * Most cars now have some form of Cruise control, to set the limit as signed.
    * If yours does not have cruise control or speed limiting, the onus is upon you as a driver to observe the limit. Failure to do this, is called Driving Without Due Care.

It cost me 6 points several years ago to have all those pennies finally drop.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Car 54
    • By Car 54 8th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    Car 54
    * If yours does not have cruise control or speed limiting, the onus is upon you as a driver to observe the limit. Failure to do this, is called Driving Without Due Care.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    NO, the onus is upon you as a driver regardless of whether or not you have cruise control.

And failure to observe the limit is normally called "exceeding the speed limit" - I've never heard of anyone charged with careless driving simply for speeding.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 8th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    • 1,566 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    Robisere
    NO, the onus is upon you as a driver regardless of whether or not you have cruise control.

And failure to observe the limit is normally called "exceeding the speed limit" - I've never heard of anyone charged with careless driving simply for speeding.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Agree with the first part, not the second. Not observing Highway signs is surely careless?
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 8th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 985 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    You can be done in Scotland for Dangerous Driving with speed alone being the reason.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 9th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    Car 54
    Agree with the first part, not the second. Not observing Highway signs is surely careless?
    It's "careless" in the popular sense of the word, but the carelessness has to manifest itself in some way for it to come to the attention of the criminal justice system, and that normally means that a specific offence has been committed, e.g. speeding or disobeying a sign.

It makes sense to prosecute for speeding rather than careless driving, since the former it can normally be proved objectively.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 9th Jul 17, 8:00 AM
    • 2,009 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    Car 54
    You can be done in Scotland for Dangerous Driving with speed alone being the reason.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    True. We Scots like to be different.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 8:05 AM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If that logic held, then ANY motoring offence - speeding, parking, whatever - would automatically be careless driving. It isn't.

Mercdriver is right about the Scottish legal system and speed way above the limit - but it does have to be WAY above. Even the kind of speeds that would see you straight to court, no fixed penalty option, in the rest of the country would not necessarily see you facing a Dangerous in Scotland.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 9th Jul 17, 8:16 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    datostar
    Originally posted by Mercdriver
    You can in England and Wales too - 'driving at a speed or in a manner dangerous'
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 8:19 AM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You can in England and Wales too - 'driving at a speed or in a manner dangerous'
    Originally posted by datostar
    It's possible, yes, but there have been enough cases to show that speed alone is not seen as "dangerous" in the legal sense. Even 159mph... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shropshire/4559173.stm
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 9th Jul 17, 9:17 PM
    • 586 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Even the road signs can't be relied upon.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36497812
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Even the road signs can't be relied upon.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36497812
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Somebody turned a sign around... Woo.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 10th Jul 17, 1:56 AM
    • 586 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Somebody turned a sign around
    . . . and any in-vehicle camera system, would religiously observe it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

790Posts Today

6,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin