Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • briley
    • By briley 7th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 3Thanks
    briley
    In-car notification of speed limit
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    In-car notification of speed limit 7th Jul 17 at 4:30 PM
    I was looking at a nifty device, a Snooper MY-SPEED XL, that shows the current speed limit. Now in these days of speed limits changing every couple of yards I thought it could be useful.

It costs around £100.

Then I saw a number of Dash Cams that have GPS that could do the same thing and give me a dash cam for the same price. But the majority only talk about warning of speed cameras - something I tend to disprove of.

Anyone aware of a dash cam that can also tell me the current speed limit? Possibly also beep if I am going too fast.
Page 1
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 7th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    Waze (and other) sat navs on your smartphone do the same + speed cameras as well
    (why do you not want to know where they are?)
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,627 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    If only there were regular signs at the side of the road that told you every few seconds what the currently applicable speed limit was, with 100% accuracy. Then there wouldn't be a need for these very fallible gadgets...
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 7th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    • 7,091 Posts
    • 5,483 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    I would never trust any speed limit advice device, none are reliable.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 2,475 Thanks
    waamo
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    Get married. You will then be presented with a whole array of driving aids. You will be told the speed limit. If you are too slow, too fast round an island, too small a gap, too big a gap.

You name it and you will get advice on it.
    This space for hire.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Jul 17, 5:21 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    If only there were regular signs at the side of the road that told you every few seconds what the currently applicable speed limit was, with 100% accuracy. Then there wouldn't be a need for these very fallible gadgets...
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    You invent that, and I'll come up with a dial that can go right in front of a driver's nose to show what speed they are travelling.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,627 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:31 PM
    You invent that, and I'll come up with a dial that can go right in front of a driver's nose to show what speed they are travelling.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    With that combo of high-tech and foolproofedness, what could possibly go wrong?

This time next year, Rodders, we'll be millionaires!
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    I was looking at a nifty device, a Snooper MY-SPEED XL, that shows the current speed limit. Now in these days of speed limits changing every couple of yards I thought it could be useful.

Originally posted by briley
    All of these devices are not reliable. They don't respond to temporary speed limits, variable speed limits and sometimes can be over a year or more out of date when a stretch has had its limit changed.

If you rely on them instead of using your eyes and taking notice of the big number on the big stick then you're likely to find yourself with points on your license and "well my Satnav/Snooper etc said the speed limit was 40 officer" won't get you off.
    • oscarward
    • By oscarward 7th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 577 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    oscarward
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    If you do a speed awareness course, part of it is working out what the speed limit is from various things such as street lights and repeater signs.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,627 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If you do a speed awareness course, part of it is working out what the speed limit is from various things such as street lights and repeater signs.
    Originally posted by oscarward
    It's a reminder from what you had to learn to pass your driving test.

But it's very simple...
    Are there regular repeaters? Yes? That's the speed limit.
    No? So are there regular streetlights? Yes? 30mph.
    No? How many carriageways? One? 60mph. Two? 70mph.

(I'm assuming you know what a carriageway is. It's not the same as a lane.)

That's it! All of it! You now know EXACTLY what the speed limit is on every single road in the UK, with no more information than a second or two of looking out of the windscreen...
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 7th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Tiexen

But it's very simple...

That's it! All of it! You now know EXACTLY what the speed limit is on every single road in the UK, with no more information than a second or two of looking out of the windscreen...
    Lots of dual carriageways with 40 / 50 / 60mph speed limits
    • tho
    • By tho 7th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    tho
    Lots of dual carriageways with 40 / 50 / 60mph speed limits
    Originally posted by Tiexen
    Those would have regular repeaters. If they don't then 70.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 7th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 4,395 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Our Garmin gives what they think is the speed limit and the speed you are doing goes red if you exceed it.
    BUT there are several roads I know of where the limit was reduced some time ago, two years at least, and the Garmin still shows the wrong limit.
    Yes it has been updated.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 7th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    Car 54
    Those would have regular repeaters. If they don't then 70.
    Originally posted by tho
    Unless there are streetlights.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 7th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 1,471 Thanks
    Car 54

But it's very simple...

Excellent summary, but be aware it may be different if you're not driving a car or motorbike, or towing a trailer..
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 7th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    GPS systems that tell you the speed limit, are as (un)reliable as those that tell you where the road is.

Some top-end cars literally read the road signs, but they struggle with :
    Vegetation and dirt
    Parallel roads, and carriageway repair site limits
    Motorway gantries
    They also only tell you, just as you pass the sign ; which is awkward, because that's often where the speed cameras are.

See if you can find a system which offers an insurance policy ( say £1000 / point ) if it gives a bad signal which causes a speeding penalty. I bet they all have some sort of disclaimer.

At least every car has a human driver, imagine the chaos if anyone thought of letting computers drive them.
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 7th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    I think you're on to something here. I am wondering if some flashing lights at each side of the car could be fitted so that you could let other drivers and road users know which way you were intending to turn could be a winner too.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,627 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Unless there are streetlights.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    In which case... Go on, you can do it.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • 15,292 Posts
    • 13,627 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Excellent summary, but be aware it may be different if you're not driving a car or motorbike, or towing a trailer..
    Originally posted by Car 54
    True-ish. If you're driving a different type of vehicle, NSL may be different. But that's really just an upper cap - below that NSL for the vehicle type, all the limits apply identically, and the concept of NSL still applies.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 8th Jul 17, 2:34 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    If you're driving a different type of vehicle, NSL may be different.
    In order to display numbers or warn of over-speed, the clever gizmo that knows what the limit is, would often need to know the type of vehicle it is fitted to, or if it has a trailer, or a space-saver spare wheel. Any of these can mean a lower number.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

42Posts Today

3,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin