Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Al44
    • By Al44 7th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 0Thanks
    does the 4 year rule apply to Massionettes?
    • #1
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    does the 4 year rule apply to Massionettes? 7th Jul 17 at 4:18 PM
    I have a large 5 bedroom massionette, I have divided it up into separate flats for rental purposes. However I have not gotten planning permission to do this, as it's all internal and I am not intending on selling the property at the moment.

    However I have heard about this "4 year rule" that states that if a property has been a certain way for 4 years or more you can apply for a certificate for it to stay that way for good.

    can anyone shed any more light on this law? and does it apply to a massionette?
Page 2
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    The planning rules have changed after the man in Surrey built a castle. Hiding the change invalidates the 4 year rule.
    • By KILL BILL 7th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 1,280 Thanks
    you will need planning permission and should have obtained this before doing the conversion as you have made structural changes to the property

    if you dont get the permission now would be be told to strip it all out and pay the council costs
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 7th Jul 17, 8:33 PM
    • 54,750 Posts
    • 47,639 Thanks
    Is the property leasehold or freehold?
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • michael1234
    • By michael1234 7th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    I have _some_ sympathy with the OP in that I detest some of the nimby, nitpicking, busybody nosiness that the planning system seems to encourage. There is definitely a place for planning but I think its gone too far and given too much power in the hands of unelected officials.

    I've seen many planning applications where people from miles away make official comments on whether or not this family or that should or shouldn't create an internal doorway in one of the Uk's 350,000 g2 listed buildings or whether in a regular, non-listed house, a 5M rear extension is "appropriate" or "sustainable"....

    To directly answer this question, my understanding is that as long as you didn't deliberately try to deceive the council by concealing your work which presumably you didn't since the work was concealed anyway, then I would have thought the 4 year rule applies. Why not pay a planning professional or solicitor a few hundred quid to put your mind at rest though?

    Re building regs, if you believe as you say, the work has been carried out in accordance with the regs (other than notification) then it would be no issue to get the work regularised. First step is planning (a certificate of lawfullness) though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,902Posts Today

8,665Users online

Martin's Twitter