Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ohmykk
    • By Ohmykk 7th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ohmykk
    Investigation at work, help needed please.
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    Investigation at work, help needed please. 7th Jul 17 at 4:03 PM
    I have deleted this post, as i dont think am wording things very well. thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Ohmykk; 07-07-2017 at 4:59 PM.
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 14,481 Posts
    • 14,181 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    No it wont affect your DBS at this stage, only if the police decide to take action.

However, it is a big deal and I think you will get sacked in the end. The 'admin' isn't yours to manipulate. They haven't received the support that was requested / commissioned.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 7th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 39,192 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:10 PM
    If the police is involved, clearly the issue is deeper than you reading to a child three times a week rather than once a week for three weeks. Either there is an issue with payment, or somehow, the way you recorded what you did put a child at risk.

On this basis, it's very difficult to respond to your question.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 14,481 Posts
    • 14,181 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    If the police is involved, clearly the issue is deeper than you reading to a child three times a week rather than once a week for three weeks. Either there is an issue with payment, or somehow, the way you recorded what you did put a child at risk.

On this basis, it's very difficult to respond to your question.
    Originally posted by FBaby
    I suspect it's this.

The child may be subject to safeguarding where their presence at the centre was part of ongoing welfare checks
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 7th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1,709 Posts
    • 2,465 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    Are you a member of a union? They might be able to help or advise. It sounds like you tried to do the right thing (giving 3 sessions in 1), but made an error in judgement regarding record keeping (or that's how I'd present it...)

BTW - it is a serious matter: it's not what you falsified the records about, it's the fact that you falsified them at all.
    • Ohmykk
    • By Ohmykk 7th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ohmykk
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    I have deleted this post, as i dont think am wording things very well. thanks for all the help.
    Last edited by Ohmykk; 07-07-2017 at 5:00 PM.
    • Ohmykk
    • By Ohmykk 7th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ohmykk
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    No I'm not a member of a union unfortunately.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 14,481 Posts
    • 14,181 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:31 PM
    That is honestly the only issue, I read books, and the family didn't want to engage any more then one session. I know I've been a total idiot writing what I did, I've only worked the job for 5 months, and I've massivly messed up.

Can I get a criminal record for this?
    Am I best to resign of defend myself?
    Originally posted by Ohmykk
    Criminal record - possibly, but whether you resign or not wont stop that now. The other circumstances really decide this.

e.g. the child is being abused, they failed to show up at the centre, so safeguarding was breached. You then claim they did show up, falsifying safeguarding protocol. The child then suffers serious injuries or worse - you are massively in the sh*t

Don't resign, there's no point. Keep the free money
    • Ohmykk
    • By Ohmykk 7th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ohmykk
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 7th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    Last edited by Ohmykk; 07-07-2017 at 5:00 PM.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 5,582 Thanks
    sangie595
    I don't know why you think it isn't serious. It's serious!

In areas such as this, they would normally disclose fully on references anyway. So the chances of a prospective employer not being told are likely to be slim. And if it's a similar field of work, they'll be told - definitely.

You did not have a job that was only reading books. Your sessions were with a vulnerable family, and these three sessions would be part of a developed programme for family time. Not wanting to take part would not be an option - more often than not, taking part in such family orientated sessions are part of an agreement that is keeping the children out of care. A place that nobody wants a child to be if it can be avoided, because formal care is not an easy or reliable option. By covering up their non compliance, you may have also put those children at risk. What looks like an effort (i.e attending) has actually not happened at all. But you have made it look like it has. That really is serious stuff.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 7th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 16,856 Posts
    • 25,679 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    As you've only been there for five months you can be sacked for non-discriminatory reasons.
    Any reference just has to be truthful so can say the reason for the suspension.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 5,582 Thanks
    sangie595
    I know that there was no serious outcome for me not seeing the family. But I know that does not make what I have done right.
    I also know that I will get the sack, so I dont know if its best to resign for reference sake? I already have another job lined up, but that obviously going to go to ruin if I have a criminal record. Will the police contact me to take the matter further?
    Can my current employer elaborate more on quit whilst under investigation?
    Since you appear to think lying and fraud are not serious things, I seriously hope this new job is not anywhere near me. Or with anything I care about. You don't seem to treat this as anything more than an inconvenience to yourself.
    If the job involves any contact with vulnerable children or adults, then they probably will give all the details. You don't need a criminal record to be unemployable in situations with vulnerable people- the reference will make this explicit. Your only hope is that the employer accepts your stupidity, but that's not likely. If they don't dismiss, a warning would, eventually, drop off and not be mentioned again. Dismissal or resignation, they are going to disclose.
    • Ohmykk
    • By Ohmykk 7th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ohmykk
    I appreciate everyone replies. I understand the way other people are viewing it now. I wish I knew the seriousness of what I was doing before hand, I feel physically sick that this is going to effect my life over what i thought was just a stupid mistake. I've had no training or anything, Im not making excuses I just dont even know what to say.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 5,582 Thanks
    sangie595
    But surely you knew that lying was wrong? You don't need any training to know that. These people turned up once and refused to turn up two other times, but you claimed they had attended three sessions. Why??? I can understand that you perhaps didn't understand the purpose of the sessions of how important they might be, but saying that people attended three sessions when they attended one is not "a mistake", stupid or otherwise. It is a lie. A mistake is forgetting the title of the book and writing down that you read another book. A lie is deliberately saying something that is not true. And that is what you did. Running away doesn't fix that. Face up to what you have done. You might get some respect for doing that and if you are lucky, get a second chance.
    • Ohmykk
    • By Ohmykk 7th Jul 17, 5:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ohmykk
    Sangie you are right I am going to go to meeting. I met the family on the last session after 2 failed attempts and so the 3 week course in one. But lied and said i did it over the failed attempts.
    I understand I've lied, and that's not acceptable. Honesty didn't realise the seriousness of it all, and like eveyone said, that something could of happend to this child. Not trying to worm my way out or make excuses but I've worked the job less then 6 months and I've had no training. This is something that will haunt me the rest of my life, and I fully regret what I did.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 7th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 14,481 Posts
    • 14,181 Thanks
    Guest101
    Sangie you are right I am going to go to meeting. I met the family on the last session after 2 failed attempts and so the 3 week course in one. But lied and said i did it over the failed attempts.
    I understand I've lied, and that's not acceptable. Honesty didn't realise the seriousness of it all, and like eveyone said, that something could of happend to this child. Not trying to worm my way out or make excuses but I've worked the job less then 6 months and I've had no training. This is something that will haunt me the rest of my life, and I fully regret what I did.
    Your only defence is the lack of training, which if true, is frankly more worrying than your mistake.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 7th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 5,582 Thanks
    sangie595
    And that is the right attitude! Be honest. Leave out the bit about no training - you maybe should have had it, but your worst defence now is to be seen to blame them. Apologise. Explain. Groveling is also good. Ask for a chance to show that this isn't the person you are. You have nothing to loose. Then if it doesn't work out you have the text to explain to a prospective employer about why this happened. Far easier to get a second chance if you are honest and above board. Remember - if you went to another job and lied about this one and how it ended - you can get sacked for lying again! Yes you were stupid. And there will be some consequences, although what we don't know. But the measure of your character is how you handle that. It won't haunt you the rest of your life unless you make things worse!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,986Posts Today

8,387Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin